SASS Wire Forum

Opinions on Hearing Protection Options

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I haven't jumped into the competition arena as yet; however, have been attending local matches and taking pictures, videos and talking with the members to gain the knowledge I need to feel comfortable in entering match competition. This includes choice of guns, which I have not yet decided on.

As to hearing protection, when I attend the local club (and I am not currently shooting), I have a pair of ear headsets with the electronic device that allows me to hear conversations while it suppresses the gun shots.

Here are my two questions:

1.) The electronic headset work fine for me; however, my wife finds that after a while she develops a headache which we attribute to the tightness of the headset. Looking for an alternative for her. Opinions?

2.) When I eventually get into competition, obviously I will need a different form of protection, and would like to get opinions as to which product A) is the best for providing that protection, and B) allows one to still hear conversations without removing it.

Similiar to what John Boy suggests, I have been using these for the past several years. Widely available at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. They run about $6.00 a package of 12. I pinch one plug in half, roll into cylinder and put in the entry canal to my ear. Flatten out the remainder and have a comfortable well sealed ear. YMMV

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ear-plugs-for-swimming/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value

Walkers game ear in my right. Foam plug in the left. My hearing was going before this sport; the game ear allows to hear the buzzer, and conversation while limiting the gun report.

Best attenuation comes from the cheap disposable foam plugs that are PROPERLY installed. However they make it very hard to hear anything.

I use these. Open the valve to hear conversations and close them once the shooting starts.

3M Combat Arms Generation 4 Tactical Military Shooter's Ear Plugs (NRR 7/23)

Combat Arms Gen 4 shooter's ear plugs combine the benefits of dual, user selectable protection into a single end, low profile ear plug that lets you switch easily from constant NRR 23 protection to NRR 7 variable noise protection for situational awareness plus instantaneous protection from dangerous noise, without the need to remove the ear plugs from the ear. The ear plug is equipped with a toggle valve that is easily operated by touch while in the ear. No need to remove, reverse and reinsert these ear plugs to switch from solid to variable noise protection as you must with the double end Combat Arms ear plugs. Now you can simply touch the toggle valve to close it for solid NRR 23 protection or touch on the edge to open the toggle valve, letting you enjoy NRR 7 variable noise protection. With the valve open, the built in acoustic filter lets you hear virtually everything around you for excellent situational awareness, then, when a loud noise strikes the acoustic filter, the plugs instantly and automatically increase in acoustic resistance, providing you with the protection you need against dangerously loud sounds including impulse noise from small arms fire, arc flash from a welding rig, jackhammers on a construction site, or even the noise of a table saw or nail gun. As you can see, Combat Arms Gen 4 ear plugs, made specifically to meet the demanding challenges faced by military operatives, also have a very broad range of applications across the civilian, police, and military operations spectrum.

Military adopts new earplugs.

Get a pair of custom-fitted ear plugs. Cost is between $50.00-$250.00. They are superior, comfortable, and really effective. You will forget you have them in place.

Cheers,

FJT

Get a pair of custom-fitted ear plugs. Cost is between $50.00-$250.00. They are superior, comfortable, and really effective. You will forget you have them in place.

Cheers,

FJT

This.

Custom fitters are typically at yearly matches, or gun shows. Everyone I've seen charged about $50.

The cheap, soft foam plugs when applied correctly are the most comfortable and most effective.

If you are into VA, they will make you a pair of custom fitted plugs.

The foam plugs would quite well when you put them in properly and give nearly max protection.

But the custom fit would very well and are usually easier to use. So until you can get the custom plugs, go with a good foam that gives near 33 db rating.

I have used an older model of Etymotic Gunsports Pro electronic ear plugs for the past couple of years. I normally wear hearing aids, so regular plugs prevent me from hearing range commands and the timer. I am able to hear everything with these plugs and still protect my hearing.

Not the cheapest but at least for me, worth every penny.

Below is a link on Amazon to the product

http://smile.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER125-GSP15BN-High-Definition-Electronic/dp/B00J5P8OGS/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1449878343&sr=8-26&keywords=etymotic+research#Ask

Howdy

The problem with custom plugs is your ear canal can change shape over the years. Then the plug no longer has contact and sound gets by.

I have been using inexpensive, disposable foam plugs for years, They make the loudest booms comfortable. When the scenario is being read I pull one out ever so slightly so I can hear. Then I push it back in again before the shooting starts. Simple and effective.

You cannot wear headsets with a cowboy hat. I had a pair of moulded plugs, and then I lost one. Now I use the two tone foamies.

My son does not like his headset as well, but I will use both foam and headset when shooting modern guns.

Throw away foam plugs are what I settled on after trying custom molded, electronics, valves, etc etc.

They aren't cool looking but give the most protection. And protection is the aim.

I've been using custom ear plugs from Tego Ear Gear for several years for shooting and in the shop and they really work well. They will be at the Siege at St Augustine in Janurary and and the Ides of March. Great folks to deal with, look them up.

TuckerT

+1 for Tego Ear. Was using the soft foam plugs from 3M and they worked fine but decided to go the custom route for my wife, son and I. Very comfortable and It doesn't hurt that Scarlett and Tommy are SASS supporters. Make pretty good bullets too!

My hearing is terrible without plug so with them in I ask the TO to put his hand with the timer on my shoulder and pick it up when the timer beeps. Works for me.

You can wear headsets with a cowboy hat as you might be able to see in my avatar. You need the behind the head version.

I use these. http://www.opticsplanet.com/pro-ears-pro-tac-300-nrr-26-hearing-protections.html

I run the timer on occasion and molded ear plugs and foam earplugs were not up to the task. They don't block any sound transmitted thru the bone. These seem to do a better job. I can time a warthog shooter without discomfort. There is a downside, If its hot, they do get slippery with sweat and slide around a little.

as always, YMMV

Chancy

I've been using custom ear plugs from Tego Ear Gear for several years for shooting and in the shop and they really work well. They will be at the Siege at St Augustine in Janurary and and the Ides of March. Great folks to deal with, look them up.

I use the Tego Ear Gear custom plugs as well. They are great and Tommy Gun takes the time to smooth them out so they can fit right. Scarlett Darlin' and her husband, Tommy, are great folks and believe in great customer service.

+1 on Tego Ear Gear.... Tommy made me a pair at the TN state match this year. I really like mine...noticeably more quiet. I run the timer a good bit and it has made a difference for me.

Kajun

Another +1 to TEGO. Never was able to wear the disposable foam for more than an hour without lots of discomfort. Had a set of custom molded made about eight years ago. Loved them so much I had a second set made as a back up. Finally lost one a couple of years ago. So needed another pair for a back up. Ran across Scarlett Darlin and Tommy Gun at the Florida state match last year. Had him make me a pair. Loved my other custom molded ones but after getting these from TEGO, they are by far the best of the three sets I've had. Comfortable, great seal, great noise suppression.

Archived