SASS Wire Forum

If you give your DNA to Ancestry

So, Ancestry.com and other on-line sites want your DNA.

In exchange, they promise a read by nationality of your family history.

So, what information do you give them? And what do they give in exchange?

Is their "report" helpful? Or is it merely a novelty?

Are there restrictions on what they can do with your DNA and/or information?

What assures your privacy?

Experiences?

Gracias, compadres.

LL

Saw the commercial where the guys family tells him they were originally from Germany; Then after he sends in his DNA he learns that he is actually of Scottish descent.

Made me wonder if his great grandparents changed their ancestry when they immigrated to the US to avoid discrimination?

Another possibility; Did someone long ago immigrate from Scotland to Germany and then after a few generations immigrate to the US?

A third possibility is that somewhere along the way a child with a different ethnic lineage was taken in for any number of reasons and raised just like one of the family. I personally know of several instances of this very thing occurring back before everyone was catalogued and tracked from birth. No adoption papers or other government records. Only a notation made in a family bible or personal diary.

Fourth possibility is that someone along the way concealed their ancestry to gain acceptance to marry someone that was not socially acceptable at the time.

In all the above cases DNA wouldn't match the passed down family history but then again DNA does not a family make. Only LOVE can make a family. LOVE is what separates Fathers and Mothers from sperm and egg donors.

Personally I think that the whole DNA ancestry thing is BS and just another way to get your money and DNA sample for any one of a host of other uses.

Here is a link to an MIT article titled Tracing your Ancestry. It discusses the 3 main types of DNA ancestry tests and some of their short comings.

The Choctaw and Cherokee Nations provide DNA testing much like ancestry.com does. You don't have to be an American Indian or of American Indian descent to use their services, however their services are primarily used to determine how much American Indian (and specifically how much of each of the major Tribes) you are for Tribal citizen registration. The data is accurate enough to be considered proof of heritage to register as a citizen with a Nation, should you meet the minimum percentage criteria for said nation.

Prior to this service being offered, tracing lineage to accurately calculate your percentage of American Indian could be very tough - usually requiring extensive research into ancestral records back to at least one full-blood Tribe member. Documentation for each member needed to trace lineage had to be provided , depending on how long ago the last member of your family registered. Sometimes a gap is an automatic disqualification. You think getting an NFA stamp is a pain? HA! try registering with a Nation with a lineage gap!. The percentage required is fairly low. (1/16 for her tribe, I don't know about the others) so tracing can sometimes need to go all the way back to the original roles of the Nation. While not all nations require blood lineage (descendant tracing can be enough) - the DNA evidence is considered rock solid and irrefutable.

The benefits in some Nations can be quite extensive. For example, the Choctaw Nation has a first class medical system that is free to all citizens of the Nation. DNA sequencing to trace lineage is an incredible valuable tool. to call it "BS" is to not understand the process very well. While each type of testing has it's shortfalls, there are cases (like Indian Nation lineage) where it can be very valuable.

I've heard that big brother is in bed with those types of sights so that more info can be gathered on you and your habbits.....They use them to make computer algorithms that predict what people will do in the future.

I've heard that big brother is in bed with those types of sights so that more info can be gathered on you and your habbits.....They use them to make computer algorithms that predict what people will do in the future.

:lol: OMG! :huh:

Funny thing,My older(very liberal) sister sent in her DNA and it came back with very little trace of German ancestry,Now my Grandfather on my mothers side came from Germany in the mid 1920's and my Grandmother was from German stock as well.We sent in my Mothers DNA and it came back with something like 80%+ German heritage.It kind of proved my point that my sister was switched at birth and we came home with a liberal baby.

Insurance companies would love to be able to test DNA for hereditary diseases. Say for example, if they found that your DNA indicated that you had a pretty good chance of a heart condition developing in your 50's, do you think they would issue you a health insurance or life insurance policy when you are 48? DNA technology has been wonderful for criminal investigations but I think it's Pandora's box if they ever let the private sector develop and use a DNA data base for any qualification or disqualification process.

I'd be very reluctant to submit my DNA for testing to a private company without knowing their future plans for my information.

Loophole, I'm in the same boat as you, I think. I'm probably going take one of those tests, but I'm taking my privacy into my own hands and giving them a false name with a throw-away email address. I haven't worked out yet where to have the results sent, but I'm sure I can come up with something. Personally I don't mind them using my data for research projects and the like, I only object to having my actual personage tied to it. I will look into the ones done by the tribes. According to family history, I'm Injun enough to be registered, but I've never gone through the trouble of actually tracing it. My wife did hers and she's more British than 90% of Brits.

I simply no longer care. At 68 they can find out whatever they want. My healthcare comes from the VA, my life insurance policies have been in effect for years and if they can figure out what I might do next I hope they will tell me because I can be pretty spontaneously silly. ( see my post on Women won't tell you want they want).

Insurance companies would love to be able to test DNA for hereditary diseases. Say for example, if they found that your DNA indicated that you had a pretty good chance of a heart condition developing in your 50's, do you think they would issue you a health insurance or life insurance policy when you are 48? DNA technology has been wonderful for criminal investigations but I think it's Pandora's box if they ever let the private sector develop and use a DNA data base for any qualification or disqualification process.

I'd be very reluctant to submit my DNA for testing to a private company without knowing their future plans for my information.

These companies already have it my friend!.....The statistics have been ran for a decades now! (what would you have learned/how would you use it?) BE SAFE! NOT STUPID!------Your best interest, is in your own hands!

Funny thing,My older(very liberal) sister sent in her DNA and it came back with very little trace of German ancestry,Now my Grandfather on my mothers side came from Germany in the mid 1920's and my Grandmother was from German stock as well.We sent in my Mothers DNA and it came back with something like 80%+ German heritage.It kind of proved my point that my sister was switched at birth and we came home with a liberal baby.

I do believe that entitles you to a full refund, or at the very least, an exchange.

EC

Maybe they are going to sell what's left of your sample to the underground scientific community for banned human cloning experiments. I say this in jest, but if you think for one minute that the ban is stopping reasearch your kidding yourself, they dearly love to play God.

Archived