SASS Wire Forum

Braztech/Rossi Rio Grande 410Gauge Lever Action Shotgun

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Just getting into SASS and have yet to make a final decision as to which guns I will be purchasing. I am continuing my research and wanted to consider the Lever Action Shotgun as a possibility.

Would like to know 1.) if the Braztech/Rossi Rio Grande Lever Action Shotgun would meet SASS qualifications to use as a shotgun, 2.) if any other SASS members have had experience with Lever Action Shotguns, and if so which ones they have tried and what is their opinion, and 3.) if anyone actually uses this Shotgun in competition.

Appreciate any input I can receive.

Thanks.

If the shotgun is for you then it is not legal.410s can only be use by young ones.I don't think it is legal for them.The rossi hammered S X S is legal for the young ones but not a good pick.

As PBT said, 410 not legal except for Buckaroos. The Winchester model 1887 is a legal(in most categories)lever action shotgun, and is available in 12 gauge. The "good" ones have been modified by Coyote Cap or Lassiter to work better for SASS. I have one, its cool, but they are a challenge to shoot.

Welcome to the game.

If you want a lever action shotgun get the 1887 clone that has Lassiter's drop 2 mod. I have a Coyote Cap 87 and a Lassiter 87. IMHO the Lassiter mod is 10 times better that the Coyote Cap mod.

For shotgun, my suggestion is that you stick with 12gauge, for a number of reasons....foremost being recoil (yep) and cost and availability of ammo.

For the shotgun itself, consider a Winchester Model 97 (1897) pump or one of the (several) side-by-side (sxs) models that are cowboy recommended. Just ask a lot of questions. I have a 12gauge Chinese reproduction of the Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun that is reliable, strong and fun to shoot. The pump and sxs are faster, though,

Archived