SASS Wire Forum

Long range rifle rules and general information?

Dungannon Gunner

Where can I find this information? On the SASS site? If so, please tell me where.

Whenever I see this question I have to weigh in with my SASS experience in long range. Most ranges have a difficult time getting out to 200 yards. Most events end up being number of hits in the least amount of time to offset the close targets. Black Powder and smokeless powders aren't usually separated.

Find a caliber that has both brass and multiple types and weights of bullets available. As in 38-55, 45-70 for single shots.

Many have started wtht an H&R handirifle. They are aorund $400.00 so no need to buy a $2,500 Shilo Sharps unless you want a collectible investment. from 100 to 300 yards you might be able to get by with a Marbles long Range peep site. Thye have good elevation adjustments and some minor windage.

Ask around at the ranges or shoots you might be interested in shooting to see what they offer.

Ike

Up around here we have ranges that I shoot out to 1,100 + yards ... And most ranges have out to 550

yards ... I use my favourite a Uberti Highwall in .40-65 for most shoots, I also use .45-70 and .38-55.

Jabez Cowboy

Anything at 100 or more yards is long range in my opinion.

Personally, I like it between 1 and 2 hundred. I just can't *see* anything beyond that. I am in awe of those who can reach out and hit things at 500+ yards, to say nothing of over a thousand.

When I have gone to shoots that do have long range side matches, the distances are usually in the 250 to 350 range. (Some have been shorter.) I try it, and I have been able to hit, but not consistently. I have better results at the "shorter" long range.

My single shot rifle of choice is a Trapdoor carbine, and my lever gun is a Winchester 86 with a 20" barrel. Both are, of course, in .45-70. I've tried .30-30, but I have found that it it does not seem to be any good past 200 yards. (Which may be just me. :)) Of course, my personally preferred style of shooting is offhand. I don't like shooting prone. That may be why I like the closer targets. :) Shooting with sticks helps be get out a little further, and I will use them for the longer ranges.

Another caliber I really like that has good long range performance is .30-40, but unless the shoot has the seemingly rare "Open" category, I don't have a gun I can use for it at the moment.

Archived