SASS Wire Forum

Remington 380 auto experiences

Irish Pat

Howdy

If it is anything like this Browning Pocket pistol I cannot recommend it. The sights are almost non-existent, the trigger pull is very stiff, and the thin grip makes recoil uncomfortable, even for such a light caliber as 380. Don't get me wrong, John Browning was the best firearm designer this country ever produced, but I do not like shooting this model.

browningpocketpistol01_zps350afbde.jpg

If I were going to carry a 380, I would opt for my Government 380. Basically a miniature 1911 without the grip safety. Reasonable sights, you can drift the rear sight back and forth, a much more comfortable grip, and recoil does not hurt like it does with the Browning.

2colts%20modified_zpsnelh8yvl.jpg

Colt_380_01_zpsmrgpotca.jpg

Colt made another model like this called the Mustang. Pretty much the same as the Govt 380 but with a shorter barrel. I like the Govt 380, it does not recoil as much as the Mustang.

The trigger is HORRIBLE !!!!!

You think it's broken and won't fire until it almost comes in contact with the frame

Nothing to see here.............almost anything is a better choice IMHO

The new Remington, introduced about 20 months ago, was so bad they pulled it of the market.

The only other Remington pocket auto is the old M-51 that came out in the 20s in .32 or .380.

More parts than an Edsel, some of them are very tiny, but it's a really fine little gun. Mine in .32 fits better than any other pocket pistol... or any other auto loader I've ever handled.

My favorite carry gun (Because the m-51 is old and parts are expensive and hard to find ) is my ten year old Colt .380 government model. They came out with a few 1911-based .380s that were smaller, lighter, and had lots of alloy parts, but they don't feel as good to me. Like Driftwood says, they are a might painful to shoot and harder to get back on target quickly after firing. The .380 Government feels good, aims well, shoots the heaviest .38 loads without a problem, and carried comfortably.

You might want to have a decent mechanic look over the magazines and make them more reliable, but there may be after-market mags available. I haven't looked.

Another one that strikes my fancy... poor old beat and battered fancy... is the relatively new Browning .380 on a miniaturized 1911 platform. It's a great little gun based on the few times I've fired one: about two magazines-full, total.

I like old guns, especially ones tied to gsitory like cowboy guns and guusn from the Great War and WWII, but a self-defense gun has dirreent requirements. It must be reliable (#1 way beyond any other feature). It must fire effective cartridges in practical accuracy. It must be safe to carry and easy to use.

I prefer the S&W .380 Bodyguard and J-frame Airweight Centennial in .32 mag or .38+P. These guns are not as traditional as an all-steel gun but they meet all of the requirements stated above.

Howdy,

There are plenty of great choices but,

pull it point it pull the trigger equals a revolver.

No tricky safetys no did I have one in the chamber...etc....

Ruger makes a nice little 5 shot 9mm.

5 more on a moon clip and as many moon clips full as you want

to carry.

And no problem racking that slide with aurther itus eating up your joints.

When I was helpin out at a gun shop parttime this little ol lady wanted

a semi auto....couldn't pull the trigger it was so stiff.

She got the ruger lcr in 38. NO slide to rack, and one hand could pull the trigger.

She couldn't pull some triggers with two index fingers on some guns.

Hopefully you will live long enuf to have such problems, pards.

Best

CR

The new Remington, introduced about 20 months ago, was so bad they pulled it of the market.

The only other Remington pocket auto is the old M-51 that came out in the 20s in .32 or .380.

. . .

Forty Rod,

I think you are referring the 9 mm Remington tried to come out with the R51. It was a great idea, but poorly executed. I sure wish they would have done a better job as it would be a great gun for those who have trouble racking the slide. But...

They are asking about the slightly newer Remington RM 380 which is a different design.

Forty Rod,

I think you are referring the 9 mm Remington tried to come out with the R51. It was a great idea, but poorly executed. I sure wish they would have done a better job as it would be a great gun for those who have trouble racking the slide. But...

They are asking about the slightly newer Remington RM 380 which is a different design.

That sucker was a 9mm, wasn't it.

Well, as I always say "pobody's nerfect".

Thanks for righting my wagon.

ive stayed away from the 380 for serious carry so far , but think im about to get that colt shown above and that will change my perspective if my wife doesn't glom onto it when i get it - ill never see it again , my current is a compact kimber 45 , its small enough

Has anyone tried one of the new Remington 380 auto? I am looking for a steel concealable compact and am leaning to the old browning 1955 . Irish Pat

Anytime a question is asked about which .380 or 9mm comes you will get a number of different answers from different people about which company makes the best gun. The name that does NOT come up is Remington. Generally you'll hear, for new production semi autos and in no order: S&W, Ruger, Sig, Kel-Tec and Kahr. The Ruger LCP and Kel-tec are the same gun with better quality control from Ruger. The Sig is functionally a copy of the Colt Mustang, carrying cocked and locked, with no grip safety in a pocket isn't for me.

Normally I won't carry anything smaller then a 9mm (Kahr PM9) but had a Kel-Tec P32 (32 ACP) for when even the small Kahr PM9 was too big, but after examining a friend's Kahr P380, just ordered one. It is slightly smaller then the Kel-Tec P32, with real sights, a much better trigger and all around better quality.

As an aside, most of the .380's out there are straight blow back and kick as bad, if not worse the the short recoil operated 9mm's. I know for sure that the Kahr & Sig are short recoil operated.

I have been considering another concealed hand gun. My old one was a Colt Defender in 45ACP. Been looking at the Springfield XDs or the new MOD2 sub compact. Anybody try one of these? I plan on going to the range and rent them both to try them out. Or, I could just carry the wife's J-Frame in 38 +P as she does not carry it.

S. Floyd

Might want to wait a tad longer for the Remington 380. I have heard that they go bang (everytime) and, because they fire from a locked breech, are soft shooting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/05/gun-review-new-remington-rm380/

Might want to wait a tad longer for the Remington 380. I have heard that they go bang (everytime) and, because they fire from a locked breech, are soft shooting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/05/gun-review-new-remington-rm380/

The lack of decent sights are a deal breaker for me. Sub compact or not a defensive firearm needs to have usable sights that shoot to point of aim

I sold my Bersa .380 earlier this year to pay some of my medical bills (along with a boatload of other guns), and still don't have a dime to put towards a replacement. That being said, the replacement will also be a Bersa, although used this time. I've got an H&R Shakiri in .45-70 that I think I'll put up for trade for a good new/used Bersa. I love that little gun!

The lack of decent sights are a deal breaker for me. Sub compact or not a defensive firearm needs to have usable sights that shoot to point of aim

Say what? Sights on a pocket rocket "get off me" gun are superfluous. In such situations sights should be ignored as they will just slow you down when time is of the essence

Thanks for your very insightful input.

I spent 38 years as a police officer carrying a firearm every waking hour for all that time. I'm sorry that I learned nothing about carrying a firearm and wasted all that training and experience. I guess the 23 years as a martial artist and the multiple black belts were also wasted.

In case you have never been in that situation an incident that starts at contact distance can quickly escalate into a totally different animal where those superfluous sights become damn important

I have been considering another concealed hand gun. My old one was a Colt Defender in 45ACP. Been looking at the Springfield XDs or the new MOD2 sub compact. Anybody try one of these? I plan on going to the range and rent them both to try them out. Or, I could just carry the wife's J-Frame in 38 +P as she does not carry it.

S. Floyd

I have the XDs in 9mm. I ran about 400 round through it and had FTE and FTRB. I sent it back to Springfield . Had it back in eight days. Now, it runs great. I also have the XD Mod 2 in 9mm. It is so much better. and almost as easy to conceal in a IWB holster. XDs has 7 plus one or 8 plus one mags. The XD Mod 2 had 13 for the small mag. and 16 for the extended mag.

Thanks for your very insightful input.

I spent 38 years as a police officer carrying a firearm every waking hour for all that time. I'm sorry that I learned nothing about carrying a firearm and wasted all that training and experience. I guess the 23 years as a martial artist and the multiple black belts were also wasted.

In case you have never been in that situation an incident that starts at contact distance can quickly escalate into a totally different animal where those superfluous sights become damn important

Well sir you got me beat. I was 37 when I pinned on the tin star and started patrolling the mean streets of the wild west of the Texas Panhandle so I only got in 25 years before retiring. But I did have a year of being shot at most nights and many days with 4ID back in 69/70. I will concede that you are absolutely correct and that a fighting man should have the best sights on his pistol that he can afford. My point was that at "get off me" distance taking the time to utilyze sights can be one's undoing. Point shooting or snap shooting is as valuable a skill to staying alive as aimed shooting

I was fortunate enough over most of my career to have a camp where I was able to have a range of my own, that $10k sand mound for the septic system made a great back stop Because of that I was able to practice off the square range and develop just about any scenario and position I could imagine. A lot of that shooting was one handed and instinctive. I tore the buttons off a lot of thrift store shirts and shot through a lot of jacket pockets all in the name of training of course.

Irish-Pat,

If it can be a .380 power semi-auto consider Bulgarian Makarov 9x18.

The Makarov is a time proven reliable design.

AIM Surplus has them in excellent and shooter grade condition. The excellent condition ones are almost in mint condition and are $299.00. The shooter grade ones are only $240.00.

The 9x18 is a excellent round. The good news is there is a lot of ammunition available for it. Barnaul can be had for $12.00 box of 50 rds. There are more expensive stuff out there if you think you need it.

Here is a vote for the Mustang. Been my go to .380 for many years, and never given me any trouble.

I too had a Browning like the one Driftwood posted a picture of. Mine was a .32 ACP, and I traded it off for a Colt 1903 pocket hammerless model. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Model_1903_Pocket_Hammerless) Never regretted the trade.

In fact, I'd not hesitate to carry the 1903, if I wanted a vintage carry gun.

I tried a semi auto 380 and didn't like it at all. Got me a revolver in 380 and besides the obvious, it is altogether a different shooting experience. I like the revolver much better

Archived