SASS Wire Forum

Pacific 366 auto shotshell press

Hoss

Went to an estate sale today. Bought a Pacific 336 press. Seemed to be in very good condition. Had obviously been working as still had powder & shot in the bottles, and rounds on the carriage. Looks like somebody suddenly stopped loading for whatever reason. I pulled the handle a couple of times, it seemed to work smoothly. I've been wanting a progressive shotshell loader but did not want to spend a ton of money, bought this one for $175. I'm hoping any powder/shot bushings I may need are readily available. Anybody have any experience with this type press? I know it's made by or related to Hornady, I'm hoping the Hornady 336 parts are interchangeable.

Hoss I got one from a friend when they moved into a new house and found it under the stairs. I cleaned it up and it works good. I did find some of the Hornady 336 parts did work in my case. Pacific was bought out by Hornady if I remember correctly. Good luck with your press PARD.

The predecessor to the Pacific was the Dietermeyer 300. I have one and it STILL works great!! Some of the metering bars and such are interchangeable with later Hornaday stuff. They're so simple you can have new bars made that will take bushings for little capital outlay.

per Wikipedia ... Pacific Tool Company

Steve Hornady worked for Pacific Tool Company from 1960 to 1971, from the time the company moved from California to Nebraska until Pacific Tool was bought by Hornady. Pacific's DL-366 was their final progressive press and Hornady's first, and it is still manufactured by Hornady as the 366 Auto.

Pacific bushings, shot and powder both, are interchangeable with RCBS, Hornady and Ponsness-Warren. Only the Mec bushings do not fit a Pacific (without an adapter, at least). RCBS, Hornady and old Pacific or Bair bushings all are numbered by the inside diameter of the bushing. The back of a Lyman Shotshell loading manual has a very handy set of charts showing throw weights of many popular powders.

The 366 press is a pretty good press. A little complicated to get all the motions memorized so that you don't spill shot or powder. Mount it with a cookie sheet under it to catch the mess.

Good luck, GJ

Most recent iteration of this press was from Hornady. It is listed as "suspended" but parts still seem to be available.

http://www.hornady.com/store/366-Auto-Progressive-Reloader

I have loaded several tons of ammo on one while I shot Skeet ...

Good loader if you keep settings tight ...

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy Hoss,

I have a 336 and don't use it much I have a lot of bushings I would be glad to share with you just let me know what you need if I have there yours will send to you free the cowboy way.

Renegade Ripley

Howdy Hoss,

I have a 336 and don't use it much I have a lot of bushings I would be glad to share with you just let me know what you need if I have there yours will send to you free the cowboy way.

Renegade Ripley

Cowboy shooters are the best!

I Know I need a 7/8 oz shot bushing, and I'm still trying to figure out which powder bushing, somewhere around 405, but not 100%. I'll know tomorrow, and will pm you info and my address.

Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded with info. I've been working on getting it all set up.

Howdy Hoss,

Renegade Ripley

Rip, your PM box must be full, cant get a PM through

Thanks so much for your kind offer! I need a 7/8 oz shot bushing, and a 402 (or so) powder bushing. A pard loads on one, using Red Dot powder, that's the setup he uses. I'm thinking a couple of thousandths either way won't make a huge difference in SASS loads, so if you have something close to 402 I'll try it out. What were you using?

Again thanks so much, and I'll dig through my stuff and find something to put on the "Stuff for Free" thread on the SASS wire.

Hoss

AKA

John Rooney

119 Granby PL

Portland, TX 78374

Ok my Friend I will look when I get home if I have them or even one of them I will let you know when I mail,

Renegade Ripley

Ok my Friend I will look when I get home if I have them or even one of them I will let you know when I mail,

Renegade Ripley

thanks!

Hoss,

I have the 7/8 oz shot bushing got lots of powder bushings but not a 402 is there anything else you might could us?

Renegade

Are you sure you don't mean a "366" and not a "336"?

I've used both a 266 and a 366. Great machines. But like a part said, mount the press in a cookie sheet. A cookie sheet with a deep rim. Without a doubt you will lose track of something and you'll dump a load of shot or powder without a case at the station, and that gets messy in a hurry.

You may find it advantageous to upgrade the press with several after market parts that make using the press easier.

Such as the universal primer seat and the primer feed shut off.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/127402/hornady-366-auto-progressive-shotshell-press-spring-loaded-primer-seater-punch

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113100/hornady-366-auto-progressive-shotshell-press-primer-shut-off

These parts are in limited supply but can be found on ebay/etsy

Hoss,

I have the 7/8 oz shot bushing got lots of powder bushings but not a 402 is there anything else you might could us?

Renegade

If you have anything close to 402 it might work. Thanks again!

Are you sure you don't mean a "366" and not a "336"?

I've used both a 266 and a 366. Great machines. But like a part said, mount the press in a cookie sheet. A cookie sheet with a deep rim. Without a doubt you will lose track of something and you'll dump a load of shot or powder without a case at the station, and that gets messy in a hurry.

366! Fixed it in the header. %><~$& dyslexia!

I've already mounted on a cookie sheet. It does have the powder/shot turn off gizmo. I'm looking forward to getting the bushings in so I can try it out!

You may find it advantageous to upgrade the press with several after market parts that make using the press easier.

Such as the universal primer seat and the primer feed shut off.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/127402/hornady-366-auto-progressive-shotshell-press-spring-loaded-primer-seater-punch

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113100/hornady-366-auto-progressive-shotshell-press-primer-shut-off

These parts are in limited supply but can be found on ebay/etsy

Thanks, I've ordered the adjustable primer seater.

Hoss,

I am putting bushings in the mail today hope they help you get started,

Renegade Ripley

Thanks again! I'll let you know when they arrive.

Hoss,

Bushings made the last stage out usps tracking # is 9500112287925342032838 Enjoy Friend

Renegade

Recieved them today, many thanks! I'm working on a test run now, having some difficulty getting the primer to seat properly. As I have the adjustable primer doohickey coming ( should be here tomorrow) I may wait on that rather than try to adjust the one in the machine now.

And yes, I've already spilled powder and shot, glad I have the cookie sheet!

Again, thanks for the bushings, hope to see you down the trail one if these days, I'll buy you a cup of coffee!

The bushing sizes are actually their size in inches (.402). I always buy a little smaller, then enlarge them with a drill bit or countersink until I get the drop that I want. Actually, I just started ordering the smallest size that I could get 5 or 6 at a time and then I always have some to drill out when changing powdwers or loads.

I just bought the adapter that allowed me to use Mec powder bushings. Since moviing on to my Mec Grabber I know longer spend hours sdjusting and cussing the 366 I just losd buckets full of shells.

I just bought the adapter that allowed me to use Mec powder bushings. Since moviing on to my Mec Grabber, I no longer spend hours adjusting and cussing the 366 I just load buckets full of shells.

Yep, for most moderate loading tasks, the Grabber is SO much simpler to run than the 366. Have both, and have the same concerns about the 366. Especially when it dumps light powder drops.

GJ

Archived