SASS Wire Forum

OT: Looking at 9mm semi-auto pistols

McCandless

I had a beautiful like new Colt series 80 1911 in 9mm that I couldn't get to reliably feed no matter the ammo or magazine. Hated to get rid of it, but if it's not reliable, it's just a fancy hammer. I ended up selling it for a nice profit and bought a Ruger LC9 that goes bang every time regardless of ammo. Best part was, the profit I made on the Colt got me into the LC9 for about $125. It's my carry gun. Goes into my front pocket. Doesn't print. And it only weighs 1.3 lbs loaded. Most of the time, you forget it's there. But, you have to find what you like and for what you are going to use it for. Mine is for carry and not sporting purposes.

Duc..

I have agree with Marauder. Try a lot and see what hits your hot spot.

I really like glocks. G43 is the single stack. G19 for 15 + rounds up to 34. Glocks are like small block chevys and 10-22s, an amazing aftermarket. The Glock G19 is the largest selling pistol in the world.

McKenzie

The 9mm comes in a wider range of guns than any other centerfire round. You can go from deringer to pocket pistol to service pistol to target gun, not to mention small to large revolvers.

If I was buying a 9mm only for shooting and not for carry, I would lean towards a single action like a Hi-Power or Sig P210.

..The Glock G19 is the largest selling pistol in the world.

McKenzie

And thars a durn good reason fer that!

And thars a durn good reason fer that!

I thought it was because the media called them evil plastic guns and what with gun owners being contrarian like we are, it just made us want them. At least that's the only thing I could figure out, I never did like glocks. Forget how ugly they are. For some reason, every glock I've ever fired has attacked me with hot brass. Puts it all up and down my arm, inside my shirt, and in my face if I'm not wearing a hat. That doesn't happen to anyone else firing the guns, nor does it happen with any other gun I fire. Well, actually, it did start happening sometimes with my 73, but that doesn't bother me because I wear long sleeves when I cowboy shoot.

Before choosing, you need to decide what barrel length you want and whether you want a DA, SA, or double then single action. Also you really need to clarify your budget. Once you've made those choices run down to your local store and find one that fits.

Summary:

Springfield XDM - solid gun, I liked everything about it except for the bore axis. Lots of choices for barrel etc. some customizing available.

Glock 9's - choose the size. Again a solid gun but felt like shooting a brick. Lots of customizing and easy to find.

S&W M&P's - fit me the best, low bore axis like the Glock, made in USA. Axis Tactical provides a fair amount of customing including a much improved trigger.

Walther PPQ - I liked the fit on this gun as well. better stock trigger than the M&P. higher bore axis than the M&P.

Sig 226 - tons of models. lots "to do" (often four controls on the gun vs 1 or 2 on Glocks and M&P's) expensive.

H&K VP 30 or VP9 or VP30L ( again which length you want). I liked these as well. much better fit than the older USP's more expensive than the Springfield, Glock or S&W.

CX75's (now 75B) These are nice too. Magazines and pistols a bit harder to find.

Beretta 92 - several model choices. They were all too large and Clumsy for my purposes. If I were wearing one in a tactical holster, It would be less of an issue.

Full size- Browning Hi-Power

Compact- Springfield xDM in 3.8 I can shoot all day long and love it.

Like was said, tell your club and get some pards to bring out some toys to try before you buy!

The full size XDm 9mm, My son loves this setup. The 3.8 has got great conceal application. Either are Easy on anyone and accurate as well as you are....LOL

There is a reason there is such a strong Glock after market. The factory sights and trigger suck. The first thing everybody shooting Glock in competition wants to do is upgrade it.

I shot a Glock 35 indoor one winter USPSAat my local club. I got rid of that Glock as fast as I could afford a better gun. Of course we are talking 9mm and not 40 S&W and I was shooting major.

I own two 9mms. A full size I bought for competition a glock first gen 19C it's the only model that doesn't have the finger groves and just before my surgery I bought a sub compact s&w shield after reading so many good thing on them . I bought it for carrying. I got tired of the heavy 45s and the small LCP and bond just didn't have the rounds of the shield.

Archived