SASS Wire Forum

OT: Looking at 9mm semi-auto pistols

McCandless

I have semi's in .45acp and .32acp, and lots n' lots of revolvers... now I'd like to pick up a quality 9. I wrapped my hands around an H&K VP-9. I was impressed. It felt "right".

Whatever I choose, I'm going to be putting a lot of rounds through it.

Do any of y'all have a favorite choice of 9 ?

The VP9 and the Walther PPQ got good reviews for the quality of the stock triggers.

Another good choice is the Sig P320. It also has one of the best "out of the box" triggers of the striker fired pistols. It comes in three different sizes and can be converted to another size or caliber by swapping out the fire control module. Street price is about $550 with tax, a little more if you want the factory night sights.

I just picked up a like new FN browning Hi-power. I've had several other 9s but that is by far the best I've had. Still would like to try a Sig though. I've heard nothing but praise.

Howdy,

Just my opinion, we have many good choices. The 9 has been around long enuf

to have the browning hi power, the various glocks, and for the recoil sensitive

the 1911 in 9 is just plain fun to shoot.

And if that isn't enuf, the good folks at Ruger have the little revolver in 9.

Five shots with easy reloads with moon clips. Note the moon clips are NOT

essential the rounds can be loaded and removed single.

If you are a double duty fan, the just right carbine can be had with glock 9mm mags.

The smallest double stack glock can use the 32 round mag if you like.

Talk about reload....wow a tiny glock with a l-o-n-g mag, pretty cool.

Make a list of what you need, there will probably be a 9 that fits it.

Best

CR

The HK VP 9 is a great choice. The only thing you have to get used to is the magazine release button is on the back of the trigger guard and not in its normal- as we think it- location on the left side of the grip. This does take some additional retraining to be able to drop a magazine fluidly when attempting to reload at any speed. The VP 9 has a great trigger, really good sites especially if you choose the "police/tactical" true night sights, and is ergonomically quite comfortable.

I have found this pistol to be very accurate out of the box with a surprisingly pleasant trigger pull and very noticeable trigger reset. 15 round magazines come standard which is nice if you live in a state like Colorado where moron antigun liberal politicians restrict law abiding citizens to a magazine capacity of only 15.

The VP 9 does feel a little bit slimmer than a size comparable Glock 17.

This gun does have what are referred to as "ears" on the back of the slide and their general purpose is to make racking the slide a little bit easier depending on the style which you use. I have had one come off during aggressive use but upon reinstalling it with some blue loctite everything has been fine since.

Overall if you try this pistol I think you will like it. My general experience with other shooters is if you are not a Glock fan you might very easily become Heckler and Koch VP 9 lover.

Would be nice to know 'what all' uses you think you may use the new 9mm for.

As far as manufactures,,, there are probably a dozen different ones that make excellent firearms,,,, and each manufacture makes numerous models of various sizes and features.

Besides looking at the 'base' model, I suggest you also investigate who makes aftermarket items that would/could enhance the firearm (lazer sights, night sights, extra magazines, trigger modifications, holsters, etc) for later consideration,,,and their associated cost.

It all depends what you plan to do with your 9mm. The right 9mm will be determined by what your purpose is for the gun. I carry a Glock 26 with a Glock 19 mag (with an adapter to turn the bottom half of the mag into a grip extension). It gives me 16 rounds in a pistol that I can conceal in my pocket and shoots like a dream. I have a gen 4 Glock 17 has a house gun because my wife shoots it very well. I have virtually every "flavor" of Glock 9mm, but I have a number of other brands of 9mms that are also great guns.

If you're just planning to target shoot, or need a home defense gun, the choices of quality 9s are endless. There are several good choices mentioned above.

Howdy,

Just my opinion, we have many good choices.

CR

Isn't that the truth Pard.

Just to throw out a few random choices;

Full size category;

Beretta 92 FS

The Beretta 92FS has been in service by our military for 30 years and seen action all over the world in just about every battlefield condition. It is a big gun with a 5" barrel and will hold 20 round double stack magazines. However that long barrel makes for a excellent sight picture and the weight and size of the gun makes hot 9mm's a pussy cat to shoot.

Conceal carry is a more of a challenge so a State where Open Carry is legal makes it a good option. With the terrorist attack that just occurred 21 rounds of ammunition along with another 20 round magazine adds up to serious anti-terrorist firepower.

Mid-size;

The market is flooded with this size of gun. My favorite is the Ruger SRc.

The Ruger SR9C is a striker fired, polymer frame semi-auto designed for carry with 10 round magazine. It also has a sleeve with allows for comfortable use of 17 round magazines. I feature I like is the SR9c has a thumb safety.

Compact;

Take a look at the many single-stack guns. One o f my edc is the SIg P-239. It has a 8 round magazine and with one in the pipe gives you 9 rounds. SIG offers a short reset trigger option. I installed one on my gun. it makes for a smooth double action trigger pull with very quick single action follow up shots.

Sub-compact;

Remember with handguns EVERYTHING is a COMPROMISE. For me it isn't that much work to conceal my SIG P-239.

So with this size of gun you are giving up magazine capacity and getting more recoil and reduced bullet performance. The only gun I have in this category is the Star Firestar which has been long out-of-production. It is on the heavy side being all steel and is a single action design that operates like the classic 1911 which makes it a nice companion to the 1911 fanboys.

If I were to get another subcompact size gun I would take a look at SIG's.

If concealed carry is your prime consideration, I would recommend a Springfield Armory XD-S or a Glock 43.

For a concealable doublestack, a Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 or a Glock 26.

For target shooting, a Springfield Armory XDm 5.25 Competition or a Glock 34.

Springfield Armory's XD lines and Glock's are roughly equal in quality, for the most part differing only in ergonomics like grip angle, etc. They are both utterly reliable and I have owned all of the models listed above and in thousands of rounds, I have never had a single failure of any kind.

Don't know what size pistol you are looking at but don't overlook the CZ 75b in 9MM. It is a fine pistol. I use a CZ Tactical Sport in competition.

+!

CZ-75 and EAA Tanfoglio Witness clones are without a doubt wonderful firearms. The way the slide attaches to the frame cause the recoil to minimal. I have two (virtually) and would never trade them. Many European police3 forces and armies use this model.

Additional benefit is that you can swap the slide and magazine and have a 40. Neat!

STL Suomi

I have semi's in .45acp and .32acp, and lots n' lots of revolvers... now I'd like to pick up a quality 9. I wrapped my hands around an H&K VP-9. I was impressed. It felt "right".

Whatever I choose, I'm going to be putting a lot of rounds through it.

Do any of y'all have a favorite choice of 9 ?

I'm looking for a pistol I can carry, and use for IDPA. I've carried a 1911, but I want something lighter wt. for all-around use. (I have a pocket carry pistol for those "lightly dressed" times.)

I'm looking for a pistol I can carry, and use for IDPA. I've carried a 1911, but I want something lighter wt. for all-around use. (I have a pocket carry pistol for those "lightly dressed" times.)

Does IDPA have an "approved list" kind of like USPSA's Production category?

You asked for favorite, here it is.

http://www.elitewarriorarmament.com/elite-classic-p35.html

One of these is almost ready for me to pick up any day,

Second favorite is a Smith & Wesson 1911 in 9mm. I have used it for IDPA and would not hesitate to carry it daily. Wilson Combat just announced a new magazine for the 9mm 1911 guns.

If you're looking for a concealed carry pistol don't necessarily or immediately disregard full-sized pistols. I know several smaller guys who carry full sized all steel 1911s daily. I know many people who opt to carry a medium or full size pistol concealed and do it quite well all the time. Your body size and shape may dictate what you can comfortably wear all day but remember, the pistol is only part of the concealed package. You need to spend some thought and some hard earned dollars on the right belt and holster as well. My preference is for an inside the waistband (IWB) holster and a full sized 9 millimeter pistol. Just by learning where to position the pistol on your belt and how to wear your shirt or other cover garment is key. Dressing around a concealed carry piece is not at all difficult.

I am a 1911 guy but several years ago made the switch to a high capacity 9 millimeter because having more ammo in your firearm is never a bad idea. Especially in this world with its awful events that we find ourselves watching, I would rather have more ammo than less in my mags on the albeit small chance I am forced to become a participant.

You might find yourself purchasing more than one pistol to sort through or experiment with through your learning curve. You may find yourself buying a full size pistol and a medium or small size pistol for other concealed dress usage. There isn't an absolute right or wrong answer, only the answer that works best for you. Find what works best for you, sell the others and shoot the one(s) you choose a lot. Practice often and diligently with your concealed carry choice. Carry it everyday.

After handling a 'few', I chose the Springfield Mod 2. The flush fitting mag holds 13 rounds and the extended mag holds 17.

I also like the CZ, as mentioned above.

These of course are my favorites in the 9mm.

Don't overlook those other great pistols mentioned above as each of them have their unique qualities that will fit 'YOUR TASTE' just right.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Had a couple friends that tried numerous 9mm pistols. One hated Glocks, so he went through many guns - Taurus, Springfield, two S&W, and a few other brands.

We would shoot regularly at at the end I would have him shoot my Glock 19. And he go frustrated - he shot it better.

So finally, guess what he bought!

But you have to fit it to YOUR hand, so it will vary. The Glocks of course are excellent as are the above mentioned guns. Kahr's are great. The Springfield and S&W latest models are very close to Glock but slightly different so some prefer them. The Baretta 92's and full size Sigs are excellent as well, but the 92 is quite large for what it is.

For conceal-ability, the smaller guns are nice but I normally carry a Glock 19 or similar without issue. But I do prefer having a larger capacity than just 6 or 8 rounds - especially in the light of current crime trends of facing multiple threats.

So just like SASS guns, try out as many as you can and see what you enjoy shooting the most.

Full size- Browning Hi-Power

Compact- Springfield xDM in 3.8 I can shoot all day long and love it.

Like was said, tell your club and get some pards to bring out some toys to try before you buy!

"The Springfield Armory XDm 5.25 Competition...."

I agree with this choice. The best striker fired trigger out there and can be improved with kits. The reason causes the XDM to be classified as a single action in IDPA and you have to compete in ESP. All the striker fired pistols I am familiar with are not fully cocked and the trigger is used to "cock" the firing pin. The XDM is cocked before you pull the trigger. It has a high grip to place the hand close to bore line. Important in keeping muzzle rise down for subsequent shots. The BATFE also classifies the XDM as a single action.

And you want something special, I would talk to Twelve Mile Bluff. I know you don't want to be ridiculous with the cash, but he can put together the best 9MM IDPA legal gun that is out there. He built a Commander style 9MM for Carolina's Longarm that will put 5 rounds into an inch and a half at 25 yards.

RTD Precision around Fayetteville. Might take a while though.

Instant gratification=http://www.springfield-armory.com/xdm-series/

If it's for concealed carry, check out the Sig P938. Same functionality as a 1911 but in a compact packages that conceals easily and isn't a pain to shoot.

For a mid-size gun, I really like my CZ-USA P-07.

Yes,

S&W 6906

Can be had cheap. Light. Practical. Shoots very well. Good sights. Accurate. Feels great in hand. Easy to disassemble and service. PAcked way batter than my revolvers, Glocks, and 1911. Men and women equally enjoyed shooting it. Everyone wanted to buy it after shooting. Unfortunately I did.

You can buy two of these for what many guns bring new.

Lots of choices out there. The good news is there are very few bad choices. The bad news you may have to sort through a lot to find what works for you.

I have used a full sized Taurus 92 for concealed carry, but a Glock 19 would probably be more comfortable. The Glock 26 would be even more concealable and still accepts full sized mags. If you prefer made in the USA the S&W M&P9c or Ruger SR9c are similar to the G26, and both are available with external safeties if you prefer.

Like was said above find what works for you. Good luck in your quest.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Interestingly enough, I discovered that the VP9 is a single action also. The striker is cocked when ready to fire.

Lots of good choices. It really depends on what you are doing with the gun. There is a lot to be said for using the same basic platform if at all possible. Since you are a 1911 guy, you might really want to think about a 1911 in 9mm. Some of the more recent efforts at 9mm 1911's have been very successful.

My two favorite 9mm's are the ones I chose to carry, either the Kahr K9 or the Browning HI-Power.

The K9 is stock and good to go as is. Extremely accurate, and because it's all steel it handles the 9mm

recoil very well given it's smaller size.

The Hi-Power was worked over by Cylinder and Slide, full trigger job and barrel re-crowned.

Both are reliable as all get out and comfortable to carry and shoot!

Love the CZ-7db and other variants as well - but I own these two.

Shadow Catcher

Kahr%252520K9%252520carry%252520gun.JPG

L1000038.JPG

But you have to fit it to YOUR hand, so it will vary.

So just like SASS guns, try out as many as you can and see what you enjoy shooting the most.

This.

Did a ton of research over the last several months. Narrowed it down to a Ruger LC9s Pro and Glock 43. Went with the Glock only because it felt better in my hand.

YMMV.

Archived