SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy guns , can I bring my guns into CA. to shoot CAS

Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

I am thinking of maybe shooting in CA. on my way back to Canada after Shooting "Winter Range"

are there any guns I can't bring there ?

Jabez Cowboy

No, your cowboy firearms are good in California; just follow the legal practices for transporting arms and ammunition in a vehicle. That is, keep firearms in locked cases, with ammunition stored in separate, locked containers. Some Counties and specific cities may have additional restrictions, but on the whole my earlier comments are accurate.

If you shoot WB, the ammo should not be stored in the magazines. Handguns, long guns, and ammunitions should be in separate bags/boxes/... in the trunk or a locked container in the back of RV/SUV/truck. Handguns should be in a locked gun case(s)

All of the above is true. To be safe, keep your guns unloaded and in a locked case. Keep the ammo separate and in a locked case. You will have no problem. If you want to shoot with some of the best and friendly folks in the game, check out the web site for the Hole in the wall gang, Deadwood Boys and Deadwood Drifters out of Piru Ca. If you like Wild Bunch, there is a full on 6 stage match on the first Saturday of every month. Same group hosts a 8 stage SASS match on the first Sunday of every month so in one weekend, you can shoot in two different kinds of matches in one weekend. On the second Sunday, you can shoot IMHO, is the best Western 3 gun match going. On the 4th Sunday the Deadwood Drifters puts on another great SASS match. If you are into action pistol or modern 3XMulti gun they put those matches on also. In short, there is something going on you would really enjoy, every weekend at the Piru range. Come by and check it out. W.L.

P.S. If you are traveling with a motorhome or trailer, there is a really nice RV park about 15 minutes from the range with over 200 camp sites with full hook ups two pools and all the amenities. Safe and happy travles, W.L.

Thanks Pards[;

I was thinking of shooting in the Sacramento area then heading north from there ... Not sure as to the route I will take home as of yet...

Are derringers and pocket pistols Ok ?

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks Pards[;

I was thinking of shooting in the Sacramento area then heading north from there ... Not sure as to the route I will take home as of yet...

Jabez Cowboy

As long as your derringer is not chambered in .410

If you can have it in Canada, you can most likely have it here pard. Derringers are ok (no .410/45Colt barrels) and so are pocket pistols. Lock all handguns in a hard case, long guns do not need to be locked up nor does ammo. We do have thieves here so keeping them out of sight is a good idea.

Even though we have a lot of gun laws, we can still have most anything we like to use here, just a few hoops to jump through. http://www.californiagunslingers.com covers the Sacto area of clubs.

Come ahead, you'll have a good time here.

Jailhouse Jim

there is no spainin the stupid thinkin in that state - but im one who have always wanted to see the sights of such splendor , the ground does not choose the folks that tread upon it

Why? You thinkin' of playin' "cowboys & ... " Nevermind, it was in poor taste... sounded funnier when I thunk it...

I do go to California occasionally to shoot. When I do I almost always take my travel trailer. All my guns and ammunition are stored in it and as it is considered my living quarters or abode, it is normally be off limits to search without a search warrant. I usually don't lock anything except access to my rv.

Looks like I will be traveling in my 2500HD with a camper on it , with the pistols locked inside a cabinet inside the camper ... In locked pistol boxes ...

Should be ok ...

Thanks for all your help...

Jabez Cowboy

I'm thankful to live in a state that's still relatively free.

With all due respect, what from any of the above comments prompted you to insinuate that we fighting here in California are not free?

Fillmore

Looks like I will be traveling in my 2500HD with a camper on it , with the pistols locked inside a cabinet inside the camper ... In locked pistol boxes ...

Should be ok ...

Thanks for all your help...

Jabez Cowboy

Yer good to go pard. Welcome!

I don’t know about another country but I remember that I read that when we go to a shoot out of state we need a copy of the shoot flyer to show that we are going to an out of state shoot. I believe that you are allowed 48 hours before the shoot and 48 hours after the shoot ends to have pistols with you when traveling out of state. Maybe I am wrong but this is what I have been told.

With all due respect, what from any of the above comments prompted you to insinuate that we fighting here in California are not free?

Fillmore

Sir,

I have been stationed at Twentynine Palms, CA three times and I love California. My stepfather still lives in Ridgecrest. However, your politicians do not have your civil liberties foremost on their minds. Besides all of the inane restrictions on what weapons and accessories you can possess, it is demonstrated in the simple fact that open carry is unlawful unless you live in a county of less than 200,000 people - how many counties in California have fewer than 200,000 people? Concealed carry is at the whim of your local bosses. Do we even want to talk about registration?

I'm sorry if I offended you; such was not my intention. However, the civil liberties that you enjoy are much more restricted than what most of the rest of us enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

Thanks Pards[;

Jabez Cowboy

Then you most definitely will want to check out Diamond Dick's Cowboy town at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. They have five different clubs so there's a shoot every weekend. One of the clubs, The Outlaws is Allie Mo's home club. Here's a link (and I hope it works):

http://www.californiagunslingers.com/

EC

Hey! I grew up in Red Bluff. Learned to play golf and shoot there too. A LOT of people don't realize how suburban most of California is. Kinda like thinking all of New York is like NYC.

The Sacramento clubs are fun, if you head south and find your way to San Louis Obispo county the Chorro Valley Regulators call that home, camping at the range with power and water is available.

Howdy;

I am really looking forward to meeting some of you Wire Folk in person ...

I have been privileged to visit some of Ya All and discuss things Western and shooting related , but to shake your hand and shoot together is a way better ...

Jabez Cowboy

Just because this was mentioned above and for anyone traveling around the lower 48, I have done a lot of traveling in RVs in the last few years and have done a lot of research on the legal aspects of traveling with guns. As the 2nd amendment states, we can still keep and bear arms especially in our homes. While you are on the road, you can keep any type of firearm that is legal in your home state in your camper, trailer or fifth wheel. While on the road, your RV is considered by law your home. No one can enter and search your RV without a search warrant. Now you do have to be aware of each states laws of concealed wepons. You cannot keep a loaded gun in the cab of a tow vehicle or in reach in a motor home. So to be on the safe side, keep everything in the living quarters of the RV. If not you open up a whole new realm of probable cause and the authorities can and will search the entire RV and all bets are off.

And one more piece of trivia, if you are camping or traveling through any National Park, you can open carry at any time weather or not you have a CCW permit or not. Happy Travels W.L.

Just because this was mentioned above and for anyone traveling around the lower 48, I have done a lot of traveling in RVs in the last few years and have done a lot of research on the legal aspects of traveling with guns. As the 2nd amendment states, we can still keep and bear arms especially in our homes. While you are on the road, you can keep any type of firearm that is legal in you home state in your camper, trailer or fifth wheel. While on the road, your RV is considered by law your home. No one can enter and search your RV without a search warrant. Now you do have to be aware of each states laws of concealed wepons. You cannot keep a loaded gun in the cab of a tow vehicle or in reach in a motor home. So to be on the safe side, keep everything in the living quarters of the RV. If not you open up a whole new realm of probable cause and the authorities can and will search the entire RV and all bets are off.

And one more piece of trivia, if you are camping or traveling through any National Park, you can open carry at any time weather or not you have a CCW permit or not. Happy Travels W.L.

Thank you, I learned something tonight.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/management/questions-and-answers.htm

Just because this was mentioned above and for anyone traveling around the lower 48, I have done a lot of traveling in RVs in the last few years and have done a lot of research on the legal aspects of traveling with guns. As the 2nd amendment states, we can still keep and bear arms especially in our homes. While you are on the road, you can keep any type of firearm that is legal in your home state in your camper, trailer or fifth wheel. While on the road, your RV is considered by law your home. No one can enter and search your RV without a search warrant. Now you do have to be aware of each states laws of concealed wepons. You cannot keep a loaded gun in the cab of a tow vehicle or in reach in a motor home. So to be on the safe side, keep everything in the living quarters of the RV. If not you open up a whole new realm of probable cause and the authorities can and will search the entire RV and all bets are off.

Thanks for the great info ... Are you near Sac. Cal. ?

No, sorry. I live in So cal and shoot out of Piru. Would liked to have crossed paths and shot a match with you! W.L.

No one says you have to or that you should flaunt it if you do. But as long as you are on federal land it was ruled in court that it is perfectly legal for any one can carry a firearm for self protection. That may be for protection against bears, mountain lions, or people that want to come into your campsite for ill will. As is becoming more and more prevalent these days. Just something to think about.

Archived