SASS Wire Forum

1860 Henry Spring Loaded Magazine Follower

Rancho Roy

It has been discussed many times on this forum and other about the possibility of the spring loaded magazine follower being released accidentally and the follower slamming into the cartridges in the magazine, setting them off with bullets against primers. There are reported cases of this happening at loading tables and during a stage when the magazine follower gets hung up on a prop and suddenly released with impending doom following.

The second issue with the 1860 Henry when used in Cowboy Action Shooting is the possibility of the magazine follower hitting the shooters hand and impeding the loading of the last three or four rounds depending on where the off hand is holding the barrel.

CAS folks will cut a piece of 3/8" dowel about 4.5" long and insert it after the ten rounds are loaded, thereby creating room for the off hand and allowing unimpeded loading of the final three or four rounds.

I decided to "Kill Two Birds With One Stone" and build an extended magazine follower that limits the possibility of #1 and serves the same purpose as #2

DSC_6628-vi.jpg

I've detailed the fabrication on my web site for those with access to a lathe that might want to make one or have a machinist friend who owes them a favor whip one up.

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Now some folks (not on this forum.....) will start to take this thread in another direction by claiming it isn't needed. "They have loaded thousands of rounds in an 1860 Henry with no issues". "We are being overly cautious". "If you can't load a Henry properly you shouldn't own one". Etc.Etc.Etc.

I suggest we let the owners of the 1860 Henry decide for themselves if this is a modification they might like to pursue.

Thanks!

Man, that would look cool in brass, but much heavier.

Thanks folks.....

When I get some time I'll make a few for folks that want them. But I'll have to make one end with a threaded adjustment for different length needs.

Brass would be too heavy and cause a problem of its own if it was dropped down the tube against loaded rounds.

Thanks folks.....

When I get some time I'll make a few for folks that want them. But I'll have to make one end with a threaded adjustment for different length needs.

Brass would be too heavy and cause a problem of its own if it was dropped down the tube against loaded rounds.

I like it, interested in one myself

I like it, interested in one myself

Make that 2. Err... one for him and one for me... (I do only have one Henry)! :D

Have you done any testing??

Neat concept.

I hope you have a way of releasing the follower that let's you stay out of harm's way.

You should try it with eight or fewer cartridges, filled with something inert to approximate gun powder and live primers and real lead bullets. My accident happened with eight live rounds in the magazine and the follower released from the same point as an open magazine in distance.

If the primers go off, you still have some work to do. Good luck!! I sincerely hope that it works!!!

• 3 months later...

I'm going to submit an idea for those in waiting. Why not 3m adhesive 4" of wacky noodle foam to a 73 follower and use that? When it gets bendy soak in PB Blaster and rinse and repeat? That should give the shock absorption that is sought to prevent detonation.

Man, that would look cool in brass, but much heavier.

Gold anodized Aluminum ?

Archived