SASS Wire Forum

Eyeballin' WB

So, I've been giving some thought to Wild Bunch.

Options for Traditional Class 1911s are a bit limited in this neck of the woods; new Colts, Kimber, CZ, Springfield, etc. are all unavailable.

If you had to choose between a Rock Island (Armscor) and an Auto Ordnance, which would you pick, and why?

Much appreciated.

LL

They are both made by Armscor in the Phillipines, as well as the Citadel, High Standard, American Classic, and Charles Daly branded 1911's, I believe. Gunbroker prices on NIB guns often start under $400 with no reserve, and they can occasionally be found in storefronts on sale for $399 or even less. (For instance, Black Friday at Sportsman's Warehouse and others) The finish leaves a bit to be desired, but overall, they have a decent reputation.

I shoot a Series 70 Colt, but I'd buy one of these if I happened into a store and found them on sale for $399. ;)

So-THAT is what you mean by 'unavailable' then. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Hard to do; not approved for sale in MA.

Why don't you tell us what IS approved, other than the 2 you list(if any). ;)

OLG

Lumpy:

As I understand it, those ARE the only two choices for new guns that still fit the class. If I could find a Colt that was registered in MA prior to Oct.1998, it would be grandfathered - but likely to be quite expensive.

I wish there were more.....

LL

LL

They are both made by Armscor in the Phillipines, as well as the Citadel, High Standard, American Classic, and Charles Daly branded 1911's, I believe. Gunbroker prices on NIB guns often start under $400 with no reserve, and they can occasionally be found in storefronts on sale for $399 or even less. (For instance, Black Friday at Sportsman's Warehouse and others) The finish leaves a bit to be desired, but overall, they have a decent reputation.

I shoot a Series 70 Colt, but I'd buy one of these if I happened into a store and found them on sale for $399. ;)

J Bar:

Foreign manufacture gave me pause from a warranty service standpoint, but then I saw that Armscor had opened a manufacturing facility in Montana, and the AO is supposedly made down the street in Worcester, MA....at least that's what the web sites say. Is that wrong?

LL

LL

LL....would one from Taylors work for you...you can see a link here.

Kajun

Kajun:

I appreciate the thought, but if it ain't on The List (it ain't), no dealer can legally sell one here.

The List is here: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster05-2015.pdf

As I read the WB Rulebook, the only models on The List that meet the Traditional requirements are the AO and the Rock Island.

Anybody out there shoot one of those in WB? Pros and cons?

Gracias.

LL

I have been shooting a Rock Island for 2 years in WB. I also shoot bowling pin matches with it. Sometimes I shoot it at tin cans, paper targets and stumps.

I carry it with me 95% of the time.

When I first got it I found it does not like wad cutters but loves 200gn round nose. I have fired over 2000 rounds with 0 errors.

I bought 5 stainless (factory seconds) 7 round Mags off of fleabay for $68 no issues with them either.

Ooops...I missed one...Remington R1

Thanks for the input.

LL

Have handled & shot one. Basically the same as the Series 80 Colt Govt. that I own. VERY nice gun. You'll need to black out the sights for WB traditional, but that's it. The lowered ejection port is a big plus over some of the others if you plan to reload .45 ACP -- fewer dented ejected cases & stovepipes.

FWIW, I gave up on shooting traditional as I had a difficult time controlling the gun at match speed. YMMV! :)

I don't have either, but what I have heard about the Rock Island 1911 has been positive.

An Auto Ordnance 1911 is not a gun that pops up very often and PRIOR to Kahr buying Auto Ordnance, Auto Ordnance had at best an average reputation.

Smith&Wesson got into selling thier own 1911s aftr they had been machining frames and slides for other companies for about 15 years, according to an old post on the S&W website. My bet is that they still do so. I would not surprised if the supply slides and frames to all but Colt, Ruger, Springfield, the Philipines and the very high dollar names of STI, Nighthawk, Wilson and such.

Anyone know if Remington makes thier own slides and frames? I would surprised if they do, based on the limited number of these guns that I have seen.

Remington parts come from the Phillipines. Caspian makes the SIG ones and several others. Springfield parts come from Imbel in Brazil.

My experience with Rock Island has been less than positive. The dimensions are not always compatible with American parts. I had one that the mag well was such odd sized, it would not take any common magazine. Others with the sight dovetails way out of square and spec.And some with very, very, very soft internals.

I have a Remington R1 that I have used in WB for a long time. Started with a Rock but when the R1 became available I jumped on it and later sold the Rock to another shooter for his start-up gun. I would not hesitate to go with the Remington R1.

Blackfoot :)

Archived