SASS Wire Forum

CMP to sell 10,000 1911a1 pistols !

Rancho Roy

Obama Signs NDAA; DCM to Sell Surplus .45s
Posted on November 26, 2015 by Dean Weingarten

Arizona – -(Ammoland.com)- On Wednesday, 25 November, 2015, President Barack Hussein Obama signed the National Defense Authorization act. He had vetoed the first version of the bill to reach his desk on 22 October, 2015, about a month ago. In the latest version, S. 1356, there is a section, 1087, which re-authorizes the Civilian Marksmanship Program to sell surplus 1911 and 1911A1 pistols and their parts and accessories to the public. The sales are limited to 10,000 per year. There are about 100,000 of these pistols available that are surplus, so they should be available for several years.
From the bill (pdf):

Quote:
(h) AUTHORIZED TRANSFERS.—

(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.

(2) The Secretary may not transfer more than 10,000 surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols to the corporation during any year and may only transfer such pistols as long as pistols described in paragraph (1) remain available for transfer.

I would have thought that the wording could simply have been changed to include surplus “pistols” not just 1911 and 1911A1s. Then surplus .22 caliber trainers, 9mm pistols, and .38 caliber revolvers would also have been available. Perhaps this is the best that the NRA felt they could get from this President.

Obama signed it! Whats the catch?

He later signed an Executive Order requiring the slides to be welded to the frames...........(ok Just kidding)

but I wouldn't put it past him.

my bud now passed bought one in the 50s from Uncle Sugar NIB still in the wrap for $7 bucks. He never would take his money back for it. If these are like the one I carried in the Nam they will be wore out, loose and inaccurate as all get out. And, knowing the CMP, will also be way over-priced. I am not the least excited at this news, have lots of probably better slabsides already on hand thanks to my WBAS addiction

my bud now passed bought one in the 50s from Uncle Sugar NIB still in the wrap for $7 bucks. He never would take his money back for it. If these are like the one I carried in the Nam they will be wore out, loose and inaccurate as all get out. And, knowing the CMP, will also be way over-priced. I am not the least excited at this news, have lots of probably better slabsides already on hand thanks to my WBAS addiction

When they took away my 1911 in exchange for an M9, that pistol was worn slam out. The Marine Corps hadn't bought new ones in decades and mine was older than I was and the armorers worked overtime trying to keep them working. The last time I went to the range with mine, the disconnector was so worn down that it went full-auto on me. Thankfully, it wasn't Qual Day - the armorer put a new disconnector init and I went back the next day. When I shook the frame, the slide rattled loudly. I love a good 1911, but I wouldn't want one of those.

Can't sell to anyone in the USA....

TL

Hmmm... Gifts for our new refugees? ...can't have them unarmed for their own protection... us citizens... on the other hand... are merely to be new victims for them to prey upon. :ph34r::ph34r:

Actually, I believe most will be std. GI issue and better. I was issued a brand new 1911A1 in 1971 when I went in country... made & bought by the Navy some years earlier, but still a first issue. This actually great news, as this is the first these guns will be available to the public. Our inventory aboard ship was pretty old, but had been fired so little as to be very good guns. When I became part of the pistol team, I was issued two guns, a brand new 1st issue (again), Gov't mdl for practicin' with, and a brand spankin' new NM Gold Cup to actually shoot in competition. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Even if it's a clunker... it's still a 1911, and a 1911 doesn't need to be tighter'n a drum of ammonia-chloride to be a great shooter... I'd even bet there'll be some brand new old stock in amongst them that may never have been issued... Probably be luck of the draw as to what you'll get, if my DCM M-1 is any guide... bought in 1979, it was a 1943 Springfield that was converted in 1953 to a NM with a 1951 NM barrel, sights and trigger group. Paid the same as every one else did then... $169. A bargain if there ever was one!

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Even if it's a clunker... it's still a 1911, and a 1911 doesn't need to be tighter'n a drum of ammonia-chloride to be a great shooter... I'd even bet there'll be some brand new old stock in amongst them that may never have been issued... Probably be luck of the draw as to what you'll get,

I will certainly take a chance and buy one as well...the most reliable 1911's I own rattle when you shake them and are not tackdrivers but will work when you need them to. I would not care that they rattle or may not have much finish left.....as long as they are safe ....

Our armorer in Germany would take a rattling 1911 and put it in the crack in a door. He would grab the door handle and using the door as a vise, would squeeze the slide down to make the gun function well.

I wish I had kept mine. It was worn and the armorer offered it to me to get it out of his inventory. It shot well for me.

Oh yeah. It was made by Singer Sewing Machine Co.

By most accounts the last 1911s purchased by the government were in WWII. (We are NOT talking about the few special purchases the past couple of years.) The services continued to use and repair them for many years after WWII. They all have a lot of rounds through them and all were rebuilt more than once so finding a surplus 1911 with all its original parts is about zero. The notion of new "unissued" 1911s still in inventory is akin to the constant rumors about people finding new in the crate WWII Jeeps.

I purchased a cmp 1911 made by Remington in the early 60s for less than $20.

I was a Chicago resident at that time.

I had to go to the express office in downtown to pick it up.

It worked for me even with my handloads.

After about 50 rounds your trigger finger was to sore to continue shooting!

It was stolen while on consignment at a eastern washington local hardware store in the mid-70s

How would one go about purchasing one of the 1911 pistols...I traded off my good 1911's years ago (foolishly) and now I would sure like to get another one.

Dang! Wouldn't you know it, and right after I blew my gun fund money on 1917 Colt and 1917 Smith & Wesson revolvers, both in .45 ACP.

The ones held by the National Guard and Reserve Units would have low round counts. I know I rarely fired the 45 and fired the 9mm even less. I had other things to do, like getting the soldier fed and paid. Those weapons normally were only fired once a year at Annual Training.

I used to have the armorer take a quart of motor oil to the range for the 45s, it seemed to help.

It will be quite awhile before the CMP is given any of the 1911. The Bill only allows the "Secretary (of Defense)" to authorize the military to transfer surplus 1911s to the CMP. It does not make it mandatory. With the publicity now around this, I would not be surprised that the current President instructs the Secretary to not release any 1911s.

Don't confuse the old CMP (government agency) with the current CMP. It is now a civilian agency that is selling the firearms to build up an endowment to support junior shooting and firearms safety training. Their job is not to give away guns at bargain basement prices; their job is to make money so they can support their mission. They know what the guns are worth and will sell them for an appropriate price. Remember that you are getting an authentic piece of history.

I am very surprised that they got the okay to sell these pistols, but am happy that they did. I was the CMP Deputy Director back in 1997-98.

Now if we can just get those Garands and carbines sitting in warehouses in Korea brought back home........

A friend in the "business" sent this to me:

Why You Won't Be Able to Buy a 1911 from CMP

The rumor that the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) will “soon” be selling military surplus 1911A1 pistols is floating around again. Unfortunately, it’s not true.

As is explained on the CMP website: “The federal law that established the new CMP authorizes the Corporation to sell surplus .30 and.22 caliber military rifles, parts, and ammunition to qualified U.S. citizens “for marksmanship.” Accordingly, the CMP sells government-surplus M1 Garands, .22 caliber target rifles, and small quantities of other rifles to qualified purchasers.”

This means that it literally takes an Act of Congress (i.e., a new law) to allow the CMP to sell handguns.

The latest version of the rumor of CMP 1911 sales comes from a blog report that Congress passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) back in May to change the CMP’s charter to allow handgun sales. The amendment would also have authorized the transfer of surplus handguns, primarily 1911A1 pistols, to the CMP for sale.

Unfortunately, as the Garand Thumb Blog pointed out, this info is outdated: While the House version of the NDAA did include this amendment, the Obama administration opposed it, and it is NOT in the current version of the bill. While the final version of the NDAA has yet to pass, the odds of the language allowing the CMP to sell handguns being reintroduced, and then passing, and then being signed by Obama, seem slim to none.

For now, the CMP continues its mission of promoting marksmanship through its training and competition programs, its involvement in the National Matches and other events, and its rifle sales programs. As far as the future of any 1911 sales, while “never say never,” remember that Congress has to pass a law allowing and the President has to sign it before it could happen.

***UPDATE***

I had a call and e-mail into the CMP, but when they didn’t get back to me, I put up the post. It turns out their phone system had changed and no one got my call. When they saw my e-mail they responded. Here’s their official statement:

“While the recent published article has some truths, the National Defense Appropriations Act has not passed the Senate as of yet. It is in committee to determine its final form. The House and Senate are not in session, nor will they be until September 8. We have no further knowledge on this matter.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program”

Please keep up with current events. NDAA was passed by both houses of Congress AND signed into law by President Obama on November 25, 2015. Any statement made in September by CMP is outdated. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s1356

Check out the CMP website for CURRENT information.

From the CMP website, dated 11/13/15:

update on the 1911’s…

The revised NDAA has passed the House and Senate. It is on its way to the President's desk for signature. We have no further information at this time.

Thank you,

Mark Johnson

Chief Operating Officer

Boy have I been out of the loop. The last gun I bought was from the old DCM. The new CMP sure isn't the same as the DCM. I just looked at the CMP website. No bargains there. Everything is pretty much what you would find at a gun show -- high! Depending on what they ask for the used 1911s you might be better off buying a new one. Colt has lowered the price on the 1911 fairly significantly since it went into bankruptcy (again).

Boy have I been out of the loop. The last gun I bought was from the old DCM. The new CMP sure isn't the same as the DCM. I just looked at the CMP website. No bargains there. Everything is pretty much what you would find at a gun show -- high! Depending on what they ask for the used 1911s you might be better off buying a new one. Colt has lowered the price on the 1911 fairly significantly since it went into bankruptcy (again).

The most bargains were had in the late '90's and early to mid 2000's. I'm glad I got my Garands, carbines and 03A3 when I did. The gun show sticker price on all of them has pretty much doubled or more.

I bought my Garand from the DCM in late 70"s for I believe $129.50 mailed direct to my house. It was a complete rebuild and looked like a new rifle. Sadly, divorce made me sell it.

But age and bad shoulder would make it just a wall hanger now. But man would it shoot 168 gr. match bullets. That was back when you had to prove you were shooting high power rifle

matches.

Archived