SASS Wire Forum

Old Shotgun Shells

I was at the range last week, introducing my 13 year old nephew to the love of shooting via a Ruger 10/22.

Cleaning up afterward, I uncovered these three shotgun shells in the leaves.

IMG_0687_zps7phhgdec.jpg

IMG_0686_zpslbszalek.jpg

IMG_0685_zpshsxebafv.jpg

The two longer ones are 2.5"; the shorter one is just over 2.25".

Two had primer strikes; the Western is clean. None actually fired.

First time I've seen paper shells (other than in books).

Are these common and ordinary?

Is there a decent resource for information re age, specs, etc?

Thanks.

LL

Is your "Google" broken?

;)

Paper shotgun shells are still being made & sold.

I went to a neighbor's last weekend to price out a used SG reloading press...including cases of empty paper hulls.

Her husband had been an avid bird hunter, as well as shooting trap & skeet.

IMHO, the paper shells have a romance to them. I've got quite a few of the real old ones and am trying to come up with a wall mounted display case for them.

Y'all notice that the 2 1/2" Peters says it is loaded with smokeless powder?

That tells me it is fairly old. If black powder was not the common load, when it was made, there would be no reason to mark it smokeless.

IMHO, the paper shells have a romance to them. I've got quite a few of the real old ones and am trying to come up with a wall mounted display case for them.

I'd like to do something like that with my late Granddad's old 12 gauge paper ammo from the '40's and '50's. Even have a couple of boxes of paper reloads from the early '60's that one of his hunting buddies reloaded for him.

I'd like to do something like that with my late Granddad's old 12 gauge paper ammo from the '40's and '50's. Even have a couple of boxes of paper reloads from the early '60's that one of his hunting buddies reloaded for him.

I'll send you a picture when I get it done and maybe it'll give you some ideas.

I'll send you a picture when I get it done and maybe it'll give you some ideas.

That'll work. Thanks!

The thing that's more unusual and makes them older is the roll crimp. In the 50's & 60's prior to plastic, the crimps were "star" type, not rolled.

Once upon a time I 'restored' a 1951 edition Remington Wingmaster. After cleaning 50 years of gunk out of it (I doubt it had ever been cleaned) I decided to shoot some trap to see how it worked (before I wasted my time restocking/refinishing). Of course the only 16ga I had was a mish-mash of stuff and in with that bunch, were quite a few paper shells. All shot and the only problem was the target loads went 'bang' and the game loads went 'boom'. The paper shells added LOTS of confetti to the ambiance of the range, much to the dismay of my squad who were all serious contenders and using Perazzi/Beretta guns that cost close to five figures. Or maybe they were annoyed by the bozo with the ugly shotgun....LOL.

The confetti was the wads which disintegrated on firing. I had so much fun.....

People say they are common, but those puppies look old to me!!.....They may be remaking them or reloading them still, but the ones you found appear to be weathered and tarnished slightly......I have a bunch of old reloading tins that held powder from companies now sold and rebought under new names that I keep above my reloading bench as momento's so to speak... Do the same and display them proudly!(its a part of shooting history)

Archived