SASS Wire Forum

Decapping

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

Here are my thoughts on this.

1) You do not have to size to decap. You can use a universal decapper . Or a device designed to decap brass regardless.

2) I only decap my BP 45-70 rounds when fired, or my bottle neck 7.62x51 or 30.06 cases before running through stainless tumbler.

3) My 45 Colt, and all other pistol brass I decap about every third or foeuth fireing. Otherwise I have do not decap first.

4) Experience over the last 40 years or so, has shown that this is a pretty fair way to do this.

I don't bother to decap either my BP brass nor my smokeless brass prior to cleaning. I use a Dillon vibratory with walnut media. Dillon 650 press with all the safety bells and whistles. The 650 does it all in one pass. Recapping prior cleaning, no matter your method, seems an extra and unnecessary step. Time consuming too.

Coffinmaker

• 2 weeks later...

Decapping before tumbling would take more time, & there's plenty to take lots of time now with gun cleaning, loading shotshells, practice, etc., etc.

I use the Frankford wet tumbler setup with the steel pins. The pins are the perfect length to get stuck in the cases & bring the reloading to a halt (or bend or break a decapping pin). I always take lots of time with the media separator to get as many of the little buggers out as possible.

I made a note of the ceramic media note I saw above & plan to check that out right now.

• 2 weeks later...

In my high power days I tumbled to remove range grit, lubed resized and decapped then trimmed and tumbled to remove the lube. I used Lee manual decapping pin to remove any media in priming hole. Most cases were ok. For CAS I just tumble and resize which includes decapping. If I need to lube cases for sizing I revert to the double tumble

I don't deprime before tumbling. I have been loading the same cases since I started this sport 6 years ago or so. Every couple of years I get another 1000 cases to build up my supply and make up for what has been lost, but I know I still have quite a few cases in service from my initial stock.

If I ever run in to a problem where primers won't fully seat, which might indicate a buildup in the primer pockets, I might consider decapping before tumbling, but as yet I have not run into that.

Heck, when I started reloading I didn't even tumble the brass, only bought a tumbler to reduce the grime on my hands while loading on a single stage press.

Enjoy the 650, I got one about a year ago and love it.

Grizz

There is a slight risk of getting some media stuck in the primer pocket. So then one has to run them all thru the de prime and size again. Always seemed to me to be extra bother.

45 Colt. I don't recall ever having SS pins stuck in the primer pocket.

For SASS reloads I don't Deprime before wet tumbling the brass.

Archived