SASS Wire Forum

Loading 45 ACP?

Hoss

I shoot modern and this is illegal for a traditional shooter.

Since I don't carry a Barney, if I need to shoot one shot (or 2) and move, I will load a full mag (well loaded with 5) and place my support hand thumb under the slide stop. When I fire the one round the slide will lock open and I can move. Or, I can change mags to get back on sequence. There have been times that one round didn't get me back on sequence.

I quit carrying a Barney after the match I needed 3 more rounds and my last mag, the Barney, only had 1. I should have quit after the match I got it in the pistol by mistake and had an extra mag change and got off sequence. For me 5 rounds in every mag is the only way to go; other methods for other people.

L

+1

I found the Bear Creek makes a 205 grain moly coated RNFP that is priced right and with the powder I use, at a 160 power factor works great! Just over 820 fps out of my 1911 and the same cartridge is 980 fps out of my Uberti 1873 lever action with a 24 inch barrel. I load one bullet for everything and have narrowed it down to two types of powders that give good consistent results. I verified this with a chronograph last week using the same bullet with 6 different powders loaded to the low end of what the factory recommend. We are not supposed to post recipes on the forum for good reason, but look into a 200 to 230 gn bullet and pair it with IMR HP-38 which is the very same as Win 231. Or try Win Autocomp. Check IMRs web site and stay within factory specs! As for a case guage, GET ONE! Best way in the world to make sure your cartridges will cycle through any gun you use it in. Good luck and happy & safe shooting! W.L.

I sure appreciate all the tips. I'm not 100% sure I'll like wild bunch all that much, but will try it to see. As I have the guns, might as well try it out!

I agree too! Wild Bunch is about the most fun you can have with your pants on! And if you are really in for some fun, try Western 3 Gun! Everyone I have met that shoots CAS says western 3 gun is what cowboy should have been! Good luck what ever you choose. Maybe see you on the range someday. W. L.

I'm going to try WB, I'll report back!

Archived