SASS Wire Forum

My wife is shooting in her first match tomorrow!

Hoss

My lovely wife, Belle Ringer, has been going with me to matches for 3+ years. She has shot my guns a lot, but never in a match. About 4 months ago she told me when it cools off, she wants to try shooting in a match. I bought her some pistols, and she is going to shoot my back up rifle (a 73) and my 97. She likes it more than the SxS. We packed everything up tonite, went over loading, staging, unloading procedures. She is nervous, but ready! I'm excited to have her join me in this great game. Wish her luck, all she wants to do tomorrow is be safe and not embarrass herself. I suspect in about 3 months she will be trying to figure out the tricks of the trade!

Good luck to Mrs. Ringer.As long as she has fun is all that matters.Hope you both have fun this weekend.

Way to go Belle Ringer!

If you have any other lady shooters on the posse it may be good to have them mentor her thru the match rather than doing it yourself.

+1000

One of my fellow shooters that my wife respected and trusted was her TO and mentored her through each stage. Any minor corrections will be much better received from someone she trusts.

Be sure you let the mentor know that it is OK to give your wife pointers.

My wife has been shooting for over a year and now that she is comfortable and less self conscious I can act as her coach and provide constructive feed back without causing any hurt feelings.

I am always supportive of her and give lots of positive feedback. I also make sure her firearms in tip top shape even if that means that mine have to take a back burner.

A lady at our range took Mary under her wing and gave her a lot of advice. Mary understood instructions given from this lady unlike guidance from anyone else. We men come to know women have their own language and thought pattern and you better start worrying if you think you understand it.

Too bad she didn't have an opportunity to shoot a stage after a match is over and before the targets are put up. We always like to give folks that come to watch an opportunity to try their hand in a less stressful setting.

A lady at our range took Mary under her wing and gave her a lot of advice. Mary understood instructions given from this lady unlike guidance from anyone else. We men come to know women have their own language and thought pattern and you better start worrying if you think you understand it.

Too bad she didn't have an opportunity to shoot a stage after a match is over and before the targets are put up. We always like to give folks that come to watch an opportunity to try their hand in a less stressful setting.

she has shot several stages after matches, so kind of know what to expect. But as we all know, when that BEEP goes off.......

Be advised this can lead to the purchasing of more guns! My wife tried a local match 4 1/2 years ago, she liked it so much we now shoot all over in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana, Wyoming and Arizona and I had to buy her at least 11 guns 'till she found 7 that she liked!

Good job Mary. I would have never known by the video that this was your first match.

I don't want to hijack Hoss' topic but it wasn't her first match. It was her first clean stage. Maybe her third or fourth match. She's picked up the pace some now through her second year of shooting.

Belle Ringer shot well. 3 clean stages!

She was shooting my 97, tried another lady shooters 97 that had a cut down stock, she liked it much better. We left the shotgun with a guy to cut it down. I'll either shoot it cut down, shoot my SxS, or heck, buy another 97!

It was a lot of fun watching her shoot, and seeing her enjoy it. As always, every cow...person... There was helpful and supportive.

Hoss... sorry I missed this thread till today...Congratulations to the wife....not only for shooting but for putting up with you all these years...lol...I wish you both the best and am sure I will not be the first to tell you that you married up when you found her...lol..your pal...Jim

Hoss... sorry I missed this thread till today...Congratulations to the wife....not only for shooting but for putting up with you all these years...lol...I wish you both the best and am sure I will not be the first to tell you that you married up when you found her...lol..your pal...Jim

Jim that's somrthing we have in common, we both married better than our wives did!

It warms my heart to see wives of friends come to see our game as something they can and will do....I am still hoping my sweetie comes around to at least hanging out with us....Yeehaw...Jim

Archived