SASS Wire Forum

Blood Pudding!

Eamon Chute

Since so many people are posting about their favorite breakfast items (grits and scrapple) I thought I'd put mine out there.......BLOOD PUDDING!

That's right, it's a steamed sausage that I grew up with here and in Ireland. Made of all the left-over animal "bits" along with chicken/pigs blood. Steamed and then sliced into discs and fried in butter. YUMMMMMMM! Just serve with some white pudding (blood pudding without the blood), Irish pork sausages, rashers, fried eggs, and left over fried spuds from the night before. Wash it down with HUGE mugs of Irish breakfast tea and your "good to go" for the rest of the day.

I've been lucky enough to enjoy blood pudding (or some call it blood sausage) in 13 countries. Though I am partial to the Irish version I grew up with, the best I ever had was in Poland.....whole blood sausage fried in a pan, and then served with extremely hot oil and onions over the top. The oil was hot enough to make the casing "pop" open. I tell ya' I'm salivating now just thinking about it!

That there is some good eats!

EC

still can see my elderly grandma asking when would they stick the animal and then getting out there with her 3 gallon white pail to collect the blood after it was stuck. would not allow, for a long time anybody else to get the blood even though she was not the most steady on her feet and the animal would be still kicking. Do not recall eatting it, but I am sure at some point I did..

Howdy:

Irish Nephew had us over for an Irish Breakfast - there it was - black and in my plate - ate it - not bad - had two more sausages. HAHAHHA Wife choked down one - with all the odd ball things her folks eat, a blood sausage should have been received as quite tame. South Chinese eat some very peculiar food at times - most of which is pretty good, just different.

STL Suomi

You Pards are "flingin a cravin on me". Sounds like something I would enjoy snacking on during a good football game on a cold Saturday afternoon.

..........Widder

Oh yea.....a blood pudding sandwich with grilled onions is a treat! And put some on Irish Soda Bread! OMG!!!!!!! With butter, of course.

EC

If y'all haven't read Pat McManus's short story, "Blood Sausage," I highly encourage you to do so. ^_^

You can read it online here: Blood Sausage, by Pat McManus :lol:

If y'all haven't read Pat McManus's short story, "Blood Sausage," I highly encourage you to do so. ^_^

No......I'm starting to get creeped out. That story'd hav'ta be pret-ty durn short........it ain't one-a them "Sweeny Todd" things, is it? "More pies......!!" :-)

No......I'm starting to get creeped out. That story'd hav'ta be pret-ty durn short........it ain't one-a them "Sweeny Todd" things, is it? "More pies......!!" :-)

Nope. :)

Humor. ^_^

If you're familiar with McManus, his stories tend to be pretty danged funny. :lol:

This one is about being drafted by his Gram to help make sausage when he was a little kid... :rolleyes:

I can feel a gout attack coming on just reading this post.... :o

Drink 2 qts.+ of water, take 800-1000 milligrams Aleve (Naproxin Sodium) and read on!!!

A little like I remember it except for the part where someone didn't want to participate. We all looked forward to it 'cuz we knew the goodness that was being made.

And my grandmother made all us "city kids" learn how to kill a chicken, that was then or course, later used for supper.

Poor folks had to make do with what the had to make do with. Lots of good skills learned when you don't have much to begin with.

EC

Archived