SASS Wire Forum

is there a DR in the house?

Trigger Mike

as a continuing saga now that cancer is over the cancer dr prescribed lexapro to help her, but if she misses one dose she becomes a bear. if she is taking her dose but the wrong subject is broached she becomes a bear. I mentioned to her dr about getting her off to see if that helps but she has not asked him to and in fact a female dr changed it to something else and our regular dr put her back on it. I'm thinking lexapro is not working for her. if i mention it she complains it is me and why does she need to take anxiety meds to deal with me when she does not have any problems with others, yet she does with the 3 younger children she just does not realize it. i'm trying to keep things together and think surely it is the medication but can't be sure. she stays angry all the time and only brief periods of calm that is precarious . we need to address problems but she instantly goes hostile and loud and cusses so we can not. then she bounces down to depression and sorrow and weepy so it is from one extreme to another. that does not sound like lexapro is working

Prayers up for a complete healing.

What Pit Bull said.

Sounds like she might not be getting the help she needs from her cancer doc. Maybe a doc specializing in anxiety/depression would be more appropriate, if you could get her to go.

Dear Mike,

I really empathize with your situation.

However, if there is a doctor in the house, I think he/she would hesitate to answer such a significant question without a thorough medical examination.

So, please don't feel slighted if you do not get any responses from our cowboy/cowgirl friends in the medical fields.

Please talk to one of your or your wife's doctors about this.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Mike,

It's very difficult to find competent medical help for a psychological problem. Most of them truly do not have a clue and really do not care....really! MD Psychiatrists are pretty much relegated to writing prescriptions and managing medications. Psychologist types do analysis with the patient, suggest meds, then refer the patient to the MD Psychiatrist to write the Rx. Rarely are the patient's issues addressed properly. These people read "the literature," then prescribe based on what they read, the level of percs the drug salesman give them for Rx'ing their latest (most expensive) drugs, and other subjective factors. It's an ugly business, and most often, in my view, the patient is better off being not treated with drugs. Finding a good family marriage counselor will probably be of the most help. But it's not easy. You must not be afraid to switch if you don't see improvement in the short term, say...5 weeks.

Of all these clueless medical types, your wife's Oncologist is one of the last people who can help with her emotional issues! You and your wife TOGETHER, must take control of her medical/psychological conditions. Don't be afraid to question your medical help and replace the ones who are too quick to prescribe anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, or (pretty much), anti-anything drugs. You two must be your own advocates and do a lot of online study. Know the drugs they want to prescribe, including the testing protocols, the results and the side effects. You'll be surprised to find that often enough, the side effects are the issues your wife is displaying! Also, often enough when you try to intelligently discuss the drugs with the medical professional, you'll too often find that they just don't have the level of knowledge that you do. You must be heavily involved and be a strong advocate for your wife. My feeling is that MOST people are better off without these anti-depressant/anxiety drugs. They make the patient accept the unacceptable, tolerate the intolerable and drive them to become a stranger to their loved ones. YMMV

Due to HIPPA regulations, there is very little her doctor can say to you about her condition and why a given medication has been prescribed. I'm not a Doctor. My wife does work in the medical field (Radiologic Tech - she works with women's imaging as an X-ray tech taking mammogram X-rays). She is not a doctor and cannot offer any advice to your situation. She did say to not be upset with the doctor if he/she does not divulge information to you because it would be breaking the HIPPA law and the doctor could be sued out of practice for doing so.

While the doctor cannot talk with you specifically about your wife's condition without her expressed consent, you sure can talk with the doctor and the doctor can listen. It may help with the diagnosis of the problems your wife is having, just don't be hacked off if the doctor offers little in the way of specific response.

GS.

as a continuing saga now that cancer is over the cancer dr prescribed lexapro to help her, but if she misses one dose she becomes a bear.

I don't understand your comment that the "cancer is over." (You have made this same comment in a previous post also).

People generally aren't consider cured of cancer until they have been cancer free for five years.

In is important to watch for undesirable drug interactions. I unfortunately have to take a fair amount of drugs due to a couple of serious long term medical problems. Three years ago I can within a day of dying because of a adverse drug interactions and I kept putting off going to the Doctor. (You know a guy thing. Just tough it out).

Internet research may be useful but medical treatment is far more complex than a few sentences in Wikipedia.

As far as HIPAA the Doctor can discuss your wife's condition if she consents. The easiest way is to go with her into the examination room during her office visits if you are not already doing so. In my case it has been useful as my wife pointed out things to the Doctor that I didn't realize was happening.

Archived