SASS Wire Forum

Western Wear - Movie Trivia

I am new to SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting, along with all the lingo and terms related to the Old West.

I am interested in purchasing a western hat; however, I do not know the name for this type of hat.

It is worn by Kevin Sorbo in the Made for TV Movie, "Avenging Angel".

If someone can help me with the type of hat this is, I would greatly appreciate it.

First, welcome aboard! We're glad you've joined the gang!

He appears to be wearing a modern gambler style hat that has been heavily weathered and the brim has spent time wet. (which was what the costume designers were going for).

For our game, it's totally legal and would make for a good brass catcher!

The weather look is what sets his hat apart from what you'd find new. That really makes his hat stand out. The cone shape of the crown is a more recent invention, but they might have been showing a man who had a hat that was too small and had it stretched. Or, they might have just picked up a modern version and plopped it on his head. who knows. I am sure there will be plenty of folks along that disagree with my statement.

In either case, look for a gambler style. that will get you going in the right direction.

This chart at Tonto Rim's website might help:

http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page43.html

I would call it a snap brim with a telescope crown, based on these pictures. The "down" brim in front can also be called a "slouch", and if it's pronounced both front and back you could call it an "aussie".

That is a fairly wide brim Mr. Sorbo is wearing. If you can find a hat of any shape with the brim width you want, they are fairly easy to re-shape. Cautious folks use steam. I usually get mine soaking wet (pretend I'm riding night herd in a rainstorm) then nudge it into the shape I want. There are custom hatters that will make anything you want if you send them a photo, but you can expect to pay for their expertise.

Posing for alias photos? Check your weapon carefully, then do whatever suits you.

Hat? Here's what I'd do.

Go on eBay and find a good used, 4X or better hat in your size, the right color, maybe Stetson or Resistol. Inexpensive is the by-word here......inexpensive. Condition is not so important; a bit rundown is okay. But, make sure the sweatband is not deteriorating and the liner is intact. Make sure the crown is not extra tall and make sure the brim isn't under 4".

When you receive the hat, make sure it fits and is not crooked on your head (many are!). Make sure it's returnable. Brush it down with a stiff brush.

Get a pint or quart of 91% alcohol (not the regular 70%) from Walmart or some place, screw on a trigger sprayer and spray the crown of the hat with a liberal, fine spray of alcohol. Reshape the crown quickly with your hands 'till it's the way you want it. Redo if it isn't right or dries too quick. Turn it upside down to dry.

After its dry and you're satisfied with the crown, spray the brim well with alcohol and shape it, too.

Don't be too gentle. Re-spray and reshape as necessary. Store your hat upside down.

To "age" the hat (this is a step I don't think I would do), find an old-fashion cake-flour sifter (crank type-garage sale, eBay, Etsy, or the Dollar Store???...look for one), put the right color of fine dirt in it, spray a fine mist of alcohol all over the hat, being careful to not mess up your reshape job, then carefully with the sifter, dust a LIGHT coat of dirt dust on the hat. Rub or brush it in very lightly, then repeat if necessary. Like I said, this is not something I'd do, at least in the beginning. This "aging" or "distressing" is the hard part...get it right. Don't buy a new hat.....buy a GOOD, inexpensive hat and work it over. And, DONT pull that goofy movie stunt and put oil on your hat to simulate sweat stains; it looks really bad.

If you want a brand new hat, it will LOOK brand new. In that case, the onliest outfit to go is:

D Bar J Hat Company

David Johnson

5960 Topaz

Las Vegas, Nevada 89120

(702) 740-4287 Shop

(702) 430-0681. Cell

dbarjhats@yahoo.com Email

www.dbarjhat.com

David is a good hand....the SASS hat maker.

- Cat Brules -

I am new to SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting, along with all the lingo and terms related to the Old West.

I am interested in purchasing a western hat; however, I do not know the name for this type of hat.

It is worn by Kevin Sorbo in the Made for TV Movie, "Avenging Angel".

If someone can help me with the type of hat this is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Where are you located? There are many good hatters across the country and if we know where you live maybe we can point you to someone close to your home range.

Voice of experience ...

Should you get caught out in a genuine toad strangler of a rain storm ...

Do not, do not, do NOT!!!!! drop your hat on a broom handle and leave it there to dry.

New meaning to the term "Montana Peak."

Without the Montana.

If you buy a cheap wool hat do not, do not, go out in the rain or you will assume the color of the hat.

Father Kit, welcome to the game and the campfire.

Get to aome local matches. Your locals should be able to direct you some shops and dealers in your area. You might be surprised at how many sources of guns, leather, clothes and accessories are close to you.

You do not list a location. This weekend is the SE regional near Charleston, SC. There will be seveeral vendors of clothes, gear and reloading supplies. Plus you can watch some of the best shooters in the region at a mighty fine match.

Archived