SASS Wire Forum

Mini Shotgun Shells

Rancho Roy

I was at the local gun shop and he just got in an order of mini shotgun shells. Slugs, buck-shot and 7 1/2 Shot........Not sure what they would be used for or if they would feed in a pump or auto loader.

But they might eject real nice from a side by side since they don't have as much bearing area..........

Wonder if they are SASS legal?

12ga

IMG_0867-vi.jpg

If those are the "Aguila" shotshells, they ARE "SASS Legal"...but I've found them to be prohibitively expensive to use on a regular basis, awkward to handle "at speed" (especially out of standard SG ammo loops) and not really any faster to dump from a SxS.

They also function in SOME repeaters.

I tried them in one of my 1897s and they worked OK (it will hold NINE of them in the magazine).

Played with them at a local WB-type match where we were allowed to load as many as the SG would hold (stage called for two sets of 6 shotgun engagements). Our WB MD doesn't write them that way anymore (max 6 in the tube from then on)

;)

Hi Roy,

I first saw them at an OWSS (not SASS) match, where the ammo count on one stage was 25. Only one person thought of them.

Hubby made me some to use in WB until I got Wild Bodie Tom's springy thingy and my SG would hold 6 regular size. By Hubby's making them, they cost the same as regular length SG shells.

Regards,

Allie

Aguila website says the 12 gage version is 5/8 ounce of shot, about half a field load. The recoil has to be much less. It is a good option for when you need only enough to work within 20 yards or so.

Hi Roy,

I first saw them at an OWSS (not SASS) match, where the ammo count on one stage was 25. Only one person thought of them.

Hubby made me some to use in WB until I got Wild Bodie Tom's springy thingy and my SG would hold 6 regular size. By Hubby's making them, they cost the same as regular length SG shells.

Regards,

Allie

I did the same for WBAS to get six rounds in my '97. However after Squibber made it race ready I no longer need them. I still have a box of the 50 mm length if anyone wants to buy them off me at EOT.

Since you can't run 'em thru a standard shotshell reloader, they'd have to come loaded with BP to be of use to me. Wonder if they would I meet the BP smoke standard?

the short ones I have seen as the number 6 in the chamber of a 97, when 6 full size would not fit, when shooting wild bunch.

• 3 months later...

I got some to use in a SXS when I had a cataract operation. Found out they were bear to pull out of a shell belt. Just stopped shooting for a month as the operation caused a bunch of eyesight issues (internal eye swelling). They now sit with my other not-so-great-idea stuff.

Some years back, I ran the Aguila Minis in my '97. Ran like wet grain thru a goose. Also went thru my ammo budget like grain thru a goose.

WAY too expensive for continuous use.

Archived