SASS Wire Forum

Western 3 gun, why not?

Mach2race

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree! 600 bucks is a lot of money to me. If i could participate without spending an additional $600, I would jump all over that. As for having the hammer down on an empty chamber on a Vaquero, its unnecessary. They have a bar that keeps them for accidentally firing if the gun is dropped or hit. One of the reasons, they are safer than many of the reproduction guns.I guess "smokestack", is unaware of this.

I think its great that some clubs will let their newbe's play without spending 2200 on guns.

EVERYBODY here is aware of how a transfer bar works and how it makes a modern Ruger safe to carry six rounds. EVERYBODY! You are not telling us anything we don't already know, and most of us have probably known it a lot longer than you have.

You have completely missed the point. To keep a level playing field, EVERYBODY is only allowed to load five and EVERYBODY must keep an empty chamber under the hammer. EVERYBODY. To keep a level playing field.

End of story. Period. And that will never change in this game.

If you don't want to buy two revolvers, then just shoot one and reload where it is allowed. But don't expect to be allowed to do that at anything other than a local monthly match. For large matches, two revolvers are required. Period.

As I said before, newcomers are welcome, but we don't take kindly to newcomers who have never even participated in the sport who want to change the rules to suit their own idea of the way things should be.

Perhaps I should explain a bit more. A long time ago, just shooting one revolver was common. But over time we discovered that it was a lot more fun to blaze away with two revolvers than one. And that is how it evolved that two revolvers became standard. Because it was more fun. Don't forget. This is not historical re-enactment of the Old West, where most cowboys really did just own one revolver. This is a fantasy game, and it has evolved to where it is today to suit the majority of shooters.

EVERYBODY here is aware of how a transfer bar works and how it makes a modern Ruger safe to carry six rounds. EVERYBODY! You are not telling us anything we don't already know, and most of us have probably known it a lot longer than you have.

You have completely missed the point. To keep a level playing field, EVERYBODY is only allowed to load five and EVERYBODY must keep an empty chamber under the hammer. EVERYBODY. To keep a level playing field.

End of story. Period. And that will never change in this game.

If you don't want to buy two revolvers, then just shoot one and reload where it is allowed. But don't expect to be allowed to do that at anything other than a local monthly match. For large matches, two revolvers are required. Period.

As I said before, newcomers are welcome, but we don't take kindly to newcomers who have never even participated in the sport who want to change the rules to suit their own idea of the way things should be.

Perhaps I should explain a bit more. A long time ago, just shooting one revolver was common. But over time we discovered that it was a lot more fun to blaze away with two revolvers than one. And that is how it evolved that two revolvers became standard. Because it was more fun. Don't forget. This is not historical re-enactment of the Old West, where most cowboys really did just own one revolver. This is a fantasy game, and it has evolved to where it is today to suit the majority of shooters.

Plus it's pretty hard to shoot gunfighter with only one revolver. As usual, DJ is right on the money here.

But some folks don't like Rugers. They either don't like 'em because they bust your knuckle on your middle finger or they prefer a "real" old west revolver like a Colt or a Colt clone. (I fall into both of those categories) or perhaps they like the Dark Side with cap & ball revolvers. That's capitalism. Something for everybody. Just because you like the fact the you can carry six with your Vaquero does not equate to parity with other shooters who load five because they don't own/like/use Rugers. That's how the stages are written; two revolvers, five rounds each. But like Driftwood said, you can do it if you want. At least twice.

This may not be clear to a new shooter. The first time you load 6 rounds in your pistol, you will receive a Stage Disqualification. Ditto the second time. However, two SDQs get you a Match Disqualification and you are out for the day.

From the ROI, p. 15, "Loading a revolver to maximum capacity and lowering the hammer on a live round and/or holstering or staging the fully loaded revolver will result in a Stage Disqualification."

From the ROI, p. 25, "MATCH DISQUALIFICATION • Two accumulated Stage Disqualification Penalties or Two Spirit of the Game assessments."

Regards,

Allie Mo

I always bring an extra rifle and shotgun plus ammo, just in case some one wants to give the game a try or someone has an equipment issue. Come out and join the fun.

S. Floyd

It's interesting that we're still debating this and the original poster is no where to be seen...

Fillmore <_<

It's interesting that we're still debating this and the original poster is no where to be seen...

Fillmore <_<

The OP is probably afraid to post. He asked the kind of question that a newbe would ask and some of the responses have been to quote rules and scold him. He probably doesn’t want to be scolded again.

The OP is probably afraid to post. He asked the kind of question that a newbe would ask and some of the responses have been to quote rules and scold him. He probably doesnt want to be scolded again.

Worse, there is at least one post suggesting he go somewhere else. He certainly pushed a few buttons with his first few posts. Could you say he came in pistol (not plural) a blazin?

Plus it's pretty hard to shoot gunfighter with only one revolver. As usual, DJ is right on the money here.

I was thinking the same thing,

plus I'd look silly with one pistol going bang in one hand and pointing my finger with the other hand shouting bang

OK, I hope this doesn't get people mad at me but there is NCOWS which allow two, three, and 4 gun catagores. I admit I shoot both SASS and NCOWS events. They are different but both is fun. NCOWS is mainly in the Midwest and have around 4000 members. I have seen many ladys shoot in matches (don't need to shoot shotgun in the two and three gun)

When I started shooting SASS many years ago, I had one Vaquero, and a Winchester rifle, and my partner had a Vaquero and a double shotgun. We shot like that for a year or so, before we purchase our individual guns. If you really wanted to join the SASS club and shoot cowboy guns and have lots of fun, you will find a way to do it. Go for it.

I if you don't have the money get some bp pistols as they are cheaper but shooting every match might be higher.

Howdy again

It is often suggested to get Cap & Ball revolvers because they are cheaper up front than cartridge revolvers. I do not recommend this route, unless you already have some experience with C&B revolvers. They require more TLC than cartridge revolvers, particularly more than cartridge revolvers shot with Smokeless powder. And one has to be familiar with shooting Black Powder in a C&B, rather than just popping cartridges into the chambers.

Fine if you are already familiar with C&B, but if you're not, start with cartridge guns.

Howdy again

It is often suggested to get Cap & Ball revolvers because they are cheaper up front than cartridge revolvers. I do not recommend this route, unless you already have some experience with C&B revolvers. They require more TLC than cartridge revolvers, particularly more than cartridge revolvers shot with Smokeless powder. And one has to be familiar with shooting Black Powder in a C&B, rather than just popping cartridges into the chambers.

Fine if you are already familiar with C&B, but if you're not, start with cartridge guns.

Agreed and they usually need work as they are often rough.

Howdy again

I'm glad you posted this. People just assume that anyone off the street can walk into cabela's, grab two of the cheap 51's, and go straight to a match. If we are talking only about saving money, I believe the difference between a set of C&B and a set of the lowest Italian clones is about the same as working a shift at McDonald's, or whatever fast food joint is hiring for the night shift. I am pretty sure it would take more than 8 hours of hard work to get familiar with C&B pistols and loading procedures, let alone the amount of work needed to get them to run well enough for a match.

Many local clubs DO offer a category as you state. One pistol.

So check with the local clubs and see if they do. I know several around here

that do.

But for adding it as an official category. Don't look for it to happen.

Hobby's cost. That's a fact. And SASS. Even with two pistols is very cheap compared to most.

You can get all your SASS guns for what one good saddle would cost. Let alone the cost of the

horse, feed, vet, farrier, Well. You get the point. Or the cost of a motorcycle. Or a 4 wheeler.

Or golf clubs and rounds of golf. And golf clubs rarely increase in value but mostly decline rapidly!

The rules state that the revolver hammer must be down on an empty chamber when you come to the line, and for good reason. You may shoot with only one revolver and do a five round reload on the clock if that is what you want to do. Jump in and play the game a while. You might just like it as is.

However the six round capability is a bonus if you want to carry the Ruger for field or self defense purposes.

First of all, I am NOT trying to change "YOUR" game! I was hopeful SASS members would be interested in having a "novice" class for those that were interested in playing, but couldn't justify spending 2500. to test the waters. By dropping the requirements too 1 pistol, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun, reduces the startup cost by 600.

I suggested a Vaquero class, because the guns are dependable, safe (for beginners) and would allow a shooter to fire 6 rounds in the "novice" class, as apposed to 10 rounds (2 guns) in the normal SASS divisions. I have read there was talk of offering a civil war class, but I guess that would change "YOUR" game as well, so I assume it will never be allowed.

From what I have seen, CAS seems to be losing popularity. A few years ago, I could find it on TV or at my local magazine stand. Not anymore. Although, I can watch 3-gun nation, on my TV.

If a hobby isn't allowed to grow and change with the times, it will eventually die. The suggestions I made were an attempt to make CAS more attractive to anyone new to the hobby, not to change "YOUR" current game. Is it more fun to blaze away with 2 guns, than with 1? Sure!

I would bet driving a Ferrari is more fun, than driving my old Ford truck. But, if i had a car show that was only open to owners of Ferrari's and Ford trucks.... wonder which group would have the largest turnout.

As for me, "YOUR" game is safe. I have been a gun enthusiast for years, I can find another group to shoot with.

First of all, I am NOT trying to change "YOUR" game! I was hopeful SASS members would be interested in having a "novice" class for those that were interested in playing, but couldn't justify spending 2500. to test the waters. By dropping the requirements too 1 pistol, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun, reduces the startup cost by 600.

I suggested a Vaquero class, because the guns are dependable, safe (for beginners) and would allow a shooter to fire 6 rounds in the "novice" class, as apposed to 10 rounds (2 guns) in the normal SASS divisions. I have read there was talk of offering a civil war class, but I guess that would change "YOUR" game as well, so I assume it will never be allowed.

From what I have seen, CAS seems to be losing popularity. A few years ago, I could find it on TV or at my local magazine stand. Not anymore. Although, I can watch 3-gun nation, on my TV.

If a hobby isn't allowed to grow and change with the times, it will eventually die. The suggestions I made were an attempt to make CAS more attractive to anyone new to the hobby, not to change "YOUR" current game. Is it more fun to blaze away with 2 guns, than with 1? Sure!

I would bet driving a Ferrari is more fun, than driving my old Ford truck. But, if i had a car show that was only open to owners of Ferrari's and Ford trucks.... wonder which group would have the largest turnout.

As for me, "YOUR" game is safe. I have been a gun enthusiast for years, I can find another group to shoot with.

Of course you were trying to change "our" game, you came to "our" site, and as a "gun enthusiast for years", condescendingly explained that Rugers have a transfer bar and therefore are safe to load 6. BTW there are gunsmiths that modify Rugers by removing the transfer bar. As for popularity, look at the current "reality" TV shows, and the rack full of "survival" magazines. Advertising runs what is on the magazine racks and TV. Go to the SASS home page and see how many clubs are still active, and each issue of the CC has lists of new members. If you're looking for another group to shoot CAS, how about NCOWS, they offer a 2 gun (1 pistol, 1 rifle) "working cowboy" category, which I've read is their most popular one. Fewer clubs, greater restrictions on equipment, and I believe their latest membership number is in the 3800 range.

Read post #46,, and so many other post about reloading the one pistol.... You, and anybody else, can partisipate in SASS matches with only one pistol, you just have to shoot the pistol dry, then reload it on the clock to complete the course of fire,,, or take the misses.. or,,,, borrow the second pistol.

The ball is and has been in your court to decide what or how you want to do partisipate in SASS..

Good luck,

Wow! Just because you got resistance on changing our game to suit your needs you're going to go elsewhere? Most of us that shoot in this game LOVE the old west firearms and the competition with friends that we've made over the years, really GOOD friends I may add! I'm guessing this game is just not for you. I could hardly wait to get the guns I needed when I first started out! Good luck finding another sport that's more fun than this one and that has as many great folks to shoot with. I think you're missing the boat, or should I say you're missing the stagecoach? :lol:

"I'm not trying to change your game".

First off you were asking if it could be changed. No problem with that. The answer was mostly no. But along with that answer many options were listed so you could play within the existing format. I don't see how your so offended but that's your choice. Let me know how the other shooting sports accommodate your need to change their rules for your firearms short comings. I would think they would respond much like we did. Can't change the rules but come on out and we'll help get you started. Good luck. MW

The options for a new shooter have been laid out in very good detail here. I think everyone did a good job explaining how he could shoot the game with the guns he's got without having to start a new category. New pards enter this sport all the time without the need of a novice class.

In short, the answer is to bring what you have to a match, hook up with the nice people registering shooters that morning and let them know this is your first time shooting and need a hand. Let them handle it from there. you will have no shortage of equipment, smiles, handshakes and advice. Oh, and you'll probably shoot for free that first time too.

The Colt clones (think Uberti) do not have transfer bars. My three screw Ruger has never had a transfer bar. Both have been known to AD with six rounds and both are used extensively in CAS. Hard as it may be to believe, there are more gun makers than Ruger.

After watching Renegade Riley break 2 transfer bars I have had mine removed from my vaqueros.

Again, why do you think that the minimum cost for a revolver is $600? Check the used market. With some effort, you can probably come up with 2 usable pistols for less than $500 combined. Sure, they probably won't math, but a lot of folks shoot 2 different ones.

I got my son in law a used set of .357 4 3/4 Uberti's that had action work and some engraving for $700. He was ecstatic!

I have an Uberti for sale on the classified for $300.00, used revolvers for our sport can be found relatively inexpensive. ;)

Archived