SASS Wire Forum

Western 3 gun, why not?

Mach2race

If one pistol will keep someone from play this game.

Then they did not really want to play in the first place.

As there ARE local clubs that offer it for new shooters.

And others will loan a pistol to those getting started that only have one.

There is also plenty of used pistols for sale for much less than new.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been interested in cowboy action shooting for a few years now. Unfortunately, the expense of buying 2 revolvers, a rifle and a shotgun are a major problem. I would think a 3 gun, which only requires 1, revolver, a shotgun and a rifle... Would be a very popular option, especially for us beginners. I don't want to carry duel holsters and purchase duel guns. I would be more than happy to take a time penalty for reloading or just use a ruger vaguero and fire all 6 rounds, since they don't require a John Wayne load. I for one, would join up tomorrow, if this was allowed. In fact, I bet it would quickly become the most popular division. Plus, with only 5 or 6 rounds being fired for this stage... The stages would cycle thru much faster! Sass needs a beginner 3 gun class, call it the vaquero class. Everyone that competes uses a ruger Vaquero and uses all 6 rounds in their stage. Why not??

I definitely empathize. When I got into this game back in 2006 and then dropped in 2008, only to come back again this year, the initial starting cost blew my mind.

It's high, but unlike most hobbies, the costs go down after that initial buy-in to the point where you are "just" spending money on ammo, ammo components if you reload, gas, a costume, and match fees.

Here are some tips: Look for used guns. Oftentimes here in the Wire "Classifieds" section, one can find a real good deal on guns and gear.

Hit pawn shops. Oftentimes these "Cowboy" guns don't move like a Glock and you can dicker on prices.

Hit the local gun stores and see what consignments there are. I got REALLY lucky in 2006 and grabbed a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum with a 16 inch barrel for $250. I grabbed another Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .357 Magnum for $399 back in 2014. I picked up a Ruger New Vaquero in .357 Magnum for $200 from a shop that didn't want to bother with it. It's often "right place, right time".

In 2006 when I first joined the game, I decided to go "nuclear el cheapo" and picked up 2 Single Action 1895 Nagant Revolvers ($120 a piece) with My C&R license, the above mentioned .357 Magnum rifle, and a Spanish SXS Shogun I picked up cheap ($150). I used generic leather holsters for the Nagants until I paid Mernickle out in Henderson NV for a custom set. Gun cost was: $640, but I suffered in times for it. You ever tried to speed shoot an 1895 Nagant? The SINGLE action pull on those was 15 pounds. For Leather, I bought a black tool belt, took off the nylon tool holders, and put the custom Mernickles on. Those custom holsters then were $100 a piece. Sold them like an idiot. For clothing, I just went to a thrift store and looked for something "western" in a shirt. Found some old Cowboy boots that fit at the same store, and wore blue jeans with suspenders. I had an old Australian "Drover" hat that worked. Total cost was just under $900 for everything back then. I build my gun cart out of scrap wood. So, it can be done, but I honestly feel much better now when I run with a bit higher quality of gear.

Now I have 3 SXS shotguns in 20, 12, and 10 Gauge

I have just one of the Lever Action Marlin rifles in .357 Magnum

I have 2 Ruger Blackhawks, and one Vaquero. 1 BH is .357 Magnum, the other is a Convertible .45 Colt / .45 ACP, and the Vaquero is in .357 Magnum.

I have 1 EMF Colt Single Action Clone in .35 Magnum as well. These I think are $350 or so new. They are solid and will do just fine in Cowboy Action Shooting.

I only started shooting SASS a couple of years, from having no guns at all. When I visited a few clubs in my local area, shooters pretty much threw their guns at me to try. No one had problems with loaning out their guns for a short while, to see if i liked the game and also whilst waiting to buy my own.

It cost me about $7000 to get set up with 4 guns, two gun safes, clothing, memberships etc. This is in Australia where we pay the Australia Tax for everything.

When I visited a few clubs in my local area, shooters pretty much threw their guns at me to try. No one had problems with loaning out their guns for a short while, to see if i liked the game and also whilst waiting to buy my own.

This. Try it, OP; I think you might enjoy running into "The Cowboy Way."

Money where mouth is; if you're in the SoCal area, and want to shoot, I'll put up a complete set of guns and leather for you to try.

Cheers,

FJT

Mach2race, say where you live and I bet the local people on the wire will loan you what you need etc like FJT just said. There is a western 3gun match near me but it takes 2 pistols and differs from SASS as there is movement allowed while holding guns etc.

i shot 3 gun , buying and carrying all those extra mags was no different than the extra gun - in the end , this game is no more expensive than three gun , in many ways its far less costly , that is my personal experience over the last 15 years ,

we have side matches that offer lots of options , go there for the single handgun option ,

Hey guys, just wanted to say...it was not my intention to cause such a ruckus on here. I realize to many that buying a second gun, is no big expense..but being a dad with a house full of kids...i have to watch every penny. Sure I could go cheap buying $200 pistols, but it would be frustrating and exceedingly difficult to be reasonably competitive... especially when many players are buying $600 pistols, then having them "worked" by gunsmith. One of the SASS members suggested I look at NCOWS. I have been in contact with them. They seem like a much better fit for me. They have 2,3 and 4 gun classes. No short stroking or modifying the guns, helps keep it a more level playing field. I also like the idea of it being a more realistic experience. (Single pistol option and no gun carts)

Yes, i understand the carts make it more convenient... but the club i frequent has a really nice range, with elaborate stages, like a jail, stage coach and building fronts. With everyone dressed in cowboy gear, its easy to almost feel like your back in the days of the old west, until you see all those little carts sitting everywhere. In my opinion, that lessens the whole "cowboy" experience.

I have read on several of these post, why didn't I list my location. That is because, I wish to stay unknown. I have visited my local SASS club on several occasions. Yes, they are great folks. Everyone is really nice, but I don't want to pressure them into "changing their game." I have asked (more than once) about playing with just one pistol? Each time i was told politely... "No, we all shoot with 2 pistols, so you will need to buy 2 guns." So, i no longer ask.

Yes, people have offered to let me borrow guns and I do appreciate the offer... but I don't feel comfortable "bumming" off my fellow shooters. I believe in buying my on ticket, if I can't afford or justify the ticket price... then I just wont ride.

That's just the way i was raised

If i have offended ANYONE, i apologize... it was not my intention.

Mach...

the only person you have probably offended is yourself.

You want to play the 'Cowboy' way, yet you refuse to allow others to help you out because they are only trying to live the 'Cowboy' way also.

Its how most of us were raised and will continue to live by those ethics of sharing when the need arises..

I hope you find your place in a good shooting sport/game.

..........Widder

Hey guys, just wanted to say...it was not my intention to cause such a ruckus on here. I realize to many that buying a second gun, is no big expense..but being a dad with a house full of kids...i have to watch every penny. Sure I could go cheap buying $200 pistols, but it would be frustrating and exceedingly difficult to be reasonably competitive... especially when many players are buying $600 pistols, then having them "worked" by gunsmith. One of the SASS members suggested I look at NCOWS. I have been in contact with them. They seem like a much better fit for me. They have 2,3 and 4 gun classes. No short stroking or modifying the guns, helps keep it a more level playing field. I also like the idea of it being a more realistic experience. (Single pistol option and no gun carts)

Yes, i understand the carts make it more convenient... but the club i frequent has a really nice range, with elaborate stages, like a jail, stage coach and building fronts. With everyone dressed in cowboy gear, its easy to almost feel like your back in the days of the old west, until you see all those little carts sitting everywhere. In my opinion, that lessens the whole "cowboy" experience.

I have read on several of these post, why didn't I list my location. That is because, I wish to stay unknown. I have visited my local SASS club on several occasions. Yes, they are great folks. Everyone is really nice, but I don't want to pressure them into "changing their game." I have asked (more than once) about playing with just one pistol? Each time i was told politely... "No, we all shoot with 2 pistols, so you will need to buy 2 guns." So, i no longer ask.

Yes, people have offered to let me borrow guns and I do appreciate the offer... but I don't feel comfortable "bumming" off my fellow shooters. I believe in buying my on ticket, if I can't afford or justify the ticket price... then I just wont ride.

I think this would have been a better post to start this thread with ... JMHO

Make sure you read the rules very carefully for the "originals" class and good luck with NCOWS.

Make sure you read the rules very carefully for the "originals" class and good luck with NCOWS.

Perhaps you should read the rules carefully too. You aren't required to shoot in "originals" class, it's an advanced category for those that wish to strive for more authenticity. I shoot NCOWS using a Ruger Vaguero, and a Uberti '66 in Working cowboy. Working cowboy doesn't allow gun carts, but most of the other classes do. As far as clothing, I wear the same as I do to a SASS match. Here's the 2012 National Match (like WR), doesn't look much different than a SASS match does it?

I have been interested in cowboy action shooting for a few years now. Unfortunately, the expense of buying 2 revolvers, a rifle and a shotgun are a major problem. I would think a 3 gun, which only requires 1, revolver, a shotgun and a rifle... Would be a very popular option, especially for us beginners. I don't want to carry duel holsters and purchase duel guns. I would be more than happy to take a time penalty for reloading or just use a ruger vaguero and fire all 6 rounds, since they don't require a John Wayne load. I for one, would join up tomorrow, if this was allowed. In fact, I bet it would quickly become the most popular division. Plus, with only 5 or 6 rounds being fired for this stage... The stages would cycle thru much faster! Sass needs a beginner 3 gun class, call it the vaquero class. Everyone that competes uses a ruger Vaquero and uses all 6 rounds in their stage. Why not??

Back when I started in 1985, we only used one revolver... it became a bit passe', most of the folks started wantin' MORE shootin'. A second revolver was becoming more common by 1995, and almost "di rigor" by 1996. Going backwards is seldom considered progress.

You've had the reasons for 5 vs. 6 explained, no more need be said. Others have invited you out, so it's in your court whether to take 'em up on it, and put yer foot in to test the waters... I think you'll find it's just fine as it is... and you'll soon be wantin' that second shootin' iron. No, this game ain't for the cheap, it ain't inexpensive, but it's worth every penny you invest. And then some!

Bad Hand. Just out of curiosity, if you went to an NCOWS match with 40 shooters, how many gun carts would you likely see? Smoking Gator.

Good question, 40 shooters is a big match, truthfully I'm not sure if I've been to any that big. I shoot "working cowboy" which is 1 pistol and 1 rifle and no gun carts. Since they tend to group us together, I really can't answer that question. Perhaps if you watched the video it would give you an idea.

Perhaps you should read the rules carefully too. You aren't required to shoot in "originals" class, it's an advanced category for those that wish to strive for more authenticity. I shoot NCOWS using a Ruger Vaguero, and a Uberti '66 in Working cowboy. Working cowboy doesn't allow gun carts, but most of the other classes do. As far as clothing, I wear the same as I do to a SASS match. Here's the 2012 National Match (like WR), doesn't look much different than a SASS match does it?

my comment wasn't meant and shouldn't be construed as anything other than a simple "here's a category you could shoot in" and a "good luck, friend."

Not sure what's ruffled your feathers. didn't mean to. my apologies.

Mach,,,,,,,welcome aboard the SASS train, the range is very friendly, the wire,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,sometimes things are misunderstood without face to face interpretation along with the spoken words, typed words are far different in the ways they may be taken

Archived