SASS Wire Forum

Western 3 gun, why not?

Mach2race

I have been interested in cowboy action shooting for a few years now. Unfortunately, the expense of buying 2 revolvers, a rifle and a shotgun are a major problem. I would think a 3 gun, which only requires 1, revolver, a shotgun and a rifle... Would be a very popular option, especially for us beginners. I don't want to carry duel holsters and purchase duel guns. I would be more than happy to take a time penalty for reloading or just use a ruger vaguero and fire all 6 rounds, since they don't require a John Wayne load. I for one, would join up tomorrow, if this was allowed. In fact, I bet it would quickly become the most popular division. Plus, with only 5 or 6 rounds being fired for this stage... The stages would cycle thru much faster! Sass needs a beginner 3 gun class, call it the vaquero class. Everyone that competes uses a ruger Vaquero and uses all 6 rounds in their stage. Why not??

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus, the vaquero is a really safe gun, perfect for the beginner.

This seems like something that should have been done years ago. Those that don't want to purchase a vaquero, can always compete in the current classes, with the legal gun of their choosing. Can you say... Win,win, win...

The rules state that the revolver hammer must be down on an empty chamber when you come to the line, and for good reason. You may shoot with only one revolver and do a five round reload on the clock if that is what you want to do. Jump in and play the game a while. You might just like it as is.

Most clubs will let u shoot with what u got, if u came to our monthly match we would let u shoot as is with no penalty. But beyond monthly matches u will need 2 pistols. I saw a guy show up with 1 pistol and a rifle, we made arrangements for him so he could still have fun while saving up $ to get his other guns. We never shun anyone away who want to play or to try. But if you became a regular we would kindly ask you to eventually get everything u need.

I disagree! 600 bucks is a lot of money to me. If i could participate without spending an additional $600, I would jump all over that. As for having the hammer down on an empty chamber on a Vaquero, its unnecessary. They have a bar that keeps them for accidentally firing if the gun is dropped or hit. One of the reasons, they are safer than many of the reproduction guns.I guess "smokestack", is unaware of this.

I think its great that some clubs will let their newbe's play without spending 2200 on guns.

Many local clubs DO offer a category as you state. One pistol.

So check with the local clubs and see if they do. I know several around here

that do.

But for adding it as an official category. Don't look for it to happen.

Hobby's cost. That's a fact. And SASS. Even with two pistols is very cheap compared to most.

You can get all your SASS guns for what one good saddle would cost. Let alone the cost of the

horse, feed, vet, farrier, Well. You get the point. Or the cost of a motorcycle. Or a 4 wheeler.

I disagree! 600 bucks is a lot of money to me. If i could participate without spending an additional $600, I would jump all over that. As for having the hammer down on an empty chamber on a Vaquero, its unnecessary. They have a bar that keeps them for accidentally firing if the gun is dropped or hit. One of the reasons, they are safer than many of the reproduction guns.I guess "smokestack", is unaware of this.

I'm pretty sure that the MD for one of the oldest and largest SASS clubs in the country knows how a Ruger transfer bar works.

^_^

I think its great that some clubs will let their newbe's play without spending 2200 on guns.

You can shoot three guns and take the five misses (25 seconds) or do a reload on the clock. Both are options you said your fine with so get on out there and give it s try. Good luck. MW

Odd isn't it. 600.00 for a second handgun isn't much, yet there was outrage when SASS raised very slightly it's annual dues. I see these answer often when a newby comes to the wire and post the same about initial cost, same answers, cheaper then other sports or games. Odd! Post after post when the dues went up about leaving the game, not paying dues, etc.

As for the original post, go out and have fun with what you have, learn and enjoy the game, you won't be sorry. MT

To add, I started with only 1 pistol, took the misses but learned the game and enjoyed myself.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 7, 2015 - insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 7, 2015 - insult

Must be raining in some un-named location, 'cause the Ghoullyhawks are starting to fly.

Howdy

The rule regarding only five rounds in a Ruger Vaquero, despite the fact that it is safe to carry with six rounds because of the transfer bar, dates way back to the beginnings of CAS in the 1980s. The rule is there simply so that shooters with a Ruger will not have an advantage over a Colt or clone, which is not save to carry fully loaded. That rule is inviolate, and you will never change it.

Show up with what you have, if you don't want to carry two revolvers than take the penalty for only shooting five rounds, or do a reload.

But do not load six rounds into a Ruger. Do it once and you will get a stage DQ. Do it twice and you will be told very firmly to leave.

We like new shooters in CAS. What we don't like is newcomers who want to change the rules to suit themselves.

If you are into CAS the extra $600 for a second pistol isn't going to slow you down wnen the rifle will cost at least $1100 and the shotgun $500.

Ya beat me to it Bart! +1000000000

O.P.,

You can save money on your second revolver by buying a Pietta Cap and Ball Blackpowder revolver such as a 1851 Navy. These guns are often on sale with Cabelas and can be purchased for around $200.00.

SASS rules allowed mismatched revolvers. In fact for history buffs it is more correct for what guns the Old Timers really owned. If you sold your current Ruger you might come up with enough money to buy a pair of C&B's and become a member of the Dark Side.

You did not put where your from on your profile.If you are around me,I would loan you 2 pistols,a shotgun and a rifle.Look on the web page for clubs around you and go to some of them.You will see that this is the best game around.I carry spare guns and holsters and belts.I may not have a belt as big as you need but could sure loan you holsters.Go out to some matches.Some cowboy take the transfer bars out of the rugers.Come out and try some different pistols,rifles and shotguns.There may be some for sale at a shoot you go to.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for new guns. Sometimes perfectly serviceable used ones can he had for a bargain.

I picked up a 2nd Gen Colt in Maine in .45 Colt with a 7.5" barrel for $700 not to long ago. Still to much? I found a Colt clone (Armi San Marco) for $250 at a more local shop when I was first starting out. Sure it's "Not a Colt" but it works just fine, and in fact is one of my "go to" pistols for when I am actually trying to be competitive.

As far as using one pistol goes, you can do that too. Load with five, shoot, reload five more. Sure, it'll take more time, but it'll still be fun.

Nobody loads 6 in a Ruger. Doing so is against the rules.

Howdy

The rule regarding only five rounds in a Ruger Vaquero, despite the fact that it is safe to carry with six rounds because of the transfer bar, dates way back to the beginnings of CAS in the 1980s. The rule is there simply so that shooters with a Ruger will not have an advantage over a Colt or clone, which is not save to carry fully loaded. That rule is inviolate, and you will never change it.

Show up with what you have, if you don't want to carry two revolvers than take the penalty for only shooting five rounds, or do a reload.

But do not load six rounds into a Ruger. Do it once and you will get a stage DQ. Do it twice and you will be told very firmly to leave.

We like new shooters in CAS. What we don't like is newcomers who want to change the rules to suit themselves.

The Colt clones (think Uberti) do not have transfer bars. My three screw Ruger has never had a transfer bar. Both have been known to AD with six rounds and both are used extensively in CAS. Hard as it may be to believe, there are more gun makers than Ruger.

I have been interested in cowboy action shooting for a few years now. Unfortunately, the expense of buying 2 revolvers, a rifle and a shotgun are a major problem. I would think a 3 gun, which only requires 1, revolver, a shotgun and a rifle... Would be a very popular option, especially for us beginners. I don't want to carry duel holsters and purchase duel guns. I would be more than happy to take a time penalty for reloading or just use a ruger vaguero and fire all 6 rounds, since they don't require a John Wayne load. I for one, would join up tomorrow, if this was allowed. In fact, I bet it would quickly become the most popular division. Plus, with only 5 or 6 rounds being fired for this stage... The stages would cycle thru much faster! Sass needs a beginner 3 gun class, call it the vaquero class. Everyone that competes uses a ruger Vaquero and uses all 6 rounds in their stage. Why not??

If you don't want to purchase a second gun and don't want to carry two revolvers then why are you even thinking about SASS??? It's been like this for over 15 years. You're not gonna change it now. I would suggest you look elsewhere or start your own shooting venue and leave SASS alone. We all like it the way it is! 6 rounds??? NO it's 5, and it's been like that since the 1870's and in SASS it's been like that since it's beginnings.

Another club started up in my area; the folks in charge wanted to attract new shooters so the website offered a "Greenhorn" category (we say "category" instead of "class" in cowboy action) in which new shooters could "run what they brung". If you have one revolver, there are only five pistol targets per stage. No shotgun, skip the shotgun targets. You only have a .22 caliber rifle? Shoot it.

I shoot that club's matches regularly and I have never seen anyone shoot the Greenhorn category. When new shooters show up, other shooters lend them what they lack.

People shared with me when I was a new shooter. None of them would accept anything in return, they said "pay it forward, help the next new shooters who come along", so that's what we do.

NCOWS has, I believe, a working cowboy category that requires a single revolver and perhaps one long gun.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 7, 2015 - Quoting edited post. Insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 7, 2015 - Quoting edited post. Insult

If you don't want to purchase a second gun and don't want to carry two revolvers then why are you even thinking about SASS??? It's been like this for over 15 years. You're not gonna change it now. I would suggest you look elsewhere or start your own shooting venue and leave SASS alone. We all like it the way it is! 6 rounds??? NO it's 5, and it's been like that since the 1870's and in SASS it's been like that since it's beginnings.

Anyone else think this guy is a troll???

Yes, I think he is also the one who started the Henry BB thread.

On the ruger issue- the transfer bar can be removed and lots of folks do so. Load 5 is a necessary rule.

As others have said many if not most local clubs will do whatever they can so that new comers can play.

If you really hunt around, you can put together a set of four guns for this game rather cheaply. Last year, I bought a pair of decent used .38-40 pistols for $500, a new Rossi '92 .44 mag RB carbine for $397, and a 16g 311 for $125 - $1022 for all four guns. Ideally, you would likely want the pistols in .38/.357 or .45 Colt, the rifle in the same caliber, and the shotgun in 12 or 20g, but still...

On the ruger issue- the transfer bar can be removed and lots of folks do so. Load 5 is a necessary rule.

As others have said many if not most local clubs will do whatever they can so that new comers can play.

My rugers have transfer bars, thus, they are safe, why do we need a rule based upon safety that provides safety to a non existing situation? With the other threads logic,,,,,the rule should be,,,'load pistols with whatever you want, and make safe'. If you can load 5 (colt & ruger modified, & clones types) then fine, If you can load six and it is safe, fine.

No, I am not serious. just making a point.

My rugers have transfer bars, thus, they are safe, why do we need a rule based upon safety that provides safety to a non existing situation? With the other threads logic,,,,,the rule should be,,,'load pistols with whatever you want, and make safe'. If you can load 5 (colt & ruger modified, & clones types) then fine, If you can load six and it is safe, fine.

No, I am not serious. just making a point.

If for no other reason than being able to verify a safe gun at the loading table. I would not like to think what it will take for someone to check that the gun is safe if six or five can be loaded. Hammer on an empty is easy to verify. Also why would we want to be timed for six shots when the next shooter only has to shoot five. Doesn't make sense. I would suggest trying to play and enjoy the game with the current rules.

Good luck and have fun,

CB

Still got blackhawks because that was in the safe. They can be had for less tha a Vaquero andba lot of not real expensive used ones around. A Rossi 92 is way less than a grand. I got a big boy steel because as a stock gun way smoother than a Rossi. Stoger coach gun and ready to go. All of those plenty of gently used around.

Still got blackhawks because that was in the safe. They can be had for less tha a Vaquero andba lot of not real expensive used ones around. A Rossi 92 is way less than a grand. I got a big boy steel because as a stock gun way smoother than a Rossi. Stoger coach gun and ready to go. All of those plenty of gently used around.

The rules on adjustable pistol sights be a change'n...... ;)

OLG

If you are into CAS the extra $600 for a second pistol isn't going to slow you down wnen the rifle will cost at least $1100 and the shotgun $500.

The Wife started in CAS this year with a new Rossi M92 bought for $500 slicked up. I just sold a working hammer shotgun for $250 at a cowboy flea market and was unable to sell a fine used Frontier Gunleather rig marked $75 at the same flea market. Look around, it can be done.

But some folks don't like Rugers. They either don't like 'em because they bust your knuckle on your middle finger or they prefer a "real" old west revolver like a Colt or a Colt clone. (I fall into both of those categories) or perhaps they like the Dark Side with cap & ball revolvers. That's capitalism. Something for everybody. Just because you like the fact the you can carry six with your Vaquero does not equate to parity with other shooters who load five because they don't own/like/use Rugers. That's how the stages are written; two revolvers, five rounds each. But like Driftwood said, you can do it if you want. At least twice.

I too found the initial cost of this game daunting when I first started. However, I wouldn't be in it today without the generosity of several pards from what would become my club.

To K.C. Colt and Asa Smith, THANK YOU! You shared your guns, ammo and guidance when I had none.

To Shakey Merlot, a.k.a. Sgt. John McCafferty, THANK YOU! You sold me a '92 Rossi and Stoeger Uplander for a more than an affordable price to get me started. Those guns served me extremely well for years and allowed me to buy my first brace of pistols

And to all of the other pards of my club who mentored me in so many ways that I've lost count, THANK YOU!

Come and play our game as it is Mach2race, before thinking things need to change. There are many generous pards in this game wanting to help you get started.

As the old 7-Up commercial said from the '70s, "Try it. You'll like it!" :)

Archived