SASS Wire Forum

I think I bought a flame thrower.

Dorado

Ok, so y'all might have seen the pictures of the wwii military stove I recently bought. If not here ya go.

IMG_1742_zpsgrmoeaz9.jpg

Well, I got it working with the help of the guys over on the Coleman Collectors forum. So, I lit it this morning. This dang thing threw a flame 2 feet tall, I only turned the valve 1/4 turn and shut it off. I only wanted enough fuel to get it started but dang! So, after checking my shorts, eyebrows and mustache. I tried to light it again. I didn't let as much fuel out but still had a small flare up which is usual. It quickly warmed up and I eased the valve to full. Man this thing puts out the prettiest blue flame once it's warmed up. 70+ years old and works like it just came off the factory floor. Only have to change the filler cap gasket. I had another cap that fits that I used when I lit it. Shame they don't make things like this anymore. Then again it'd probably heat up the shallow end of the gene pool and boil it off.

There's a scene in To Hell and Back where the Polish guy in Murphy's platoon talks about the other guys throwing their stoves away but he was schmart enough to keep his by golly. ;)

In combat a little weight makes a big difference, I suspect the roads of France and Italy were littered with GI stoves and gas masks, What you want to pack is more ammo. You can always eat cold chow (or steal hot chow from the Artillery) ;)

Nice find though. Just don't burn your dang house down,.

I always thought we just had the best cooks.

You had cooks. We had c rats. ;)

There's a scene in To Hell and Back where the Polish guy in Murphy's platoon talks about the other guys throwing their stoves away but he was schmart enough to keep his by golly. ;)

In combat a little weight makes a big difference, I suspect the roads of France and Italy were littered with GI stoves and gas masks, What you want to pack is more ammo. You can always eat cold chow (or steal hot chow from the Artillery) ;)

Nice find though. Just don't burn your dang house down,.

That wasn't just in the movie. I just finished reading his autobiography and that Polish guy was mentioned several times, always with that stove. I don't think these were issued very often. If I'm not mistaken they were a private purchase thing.

I'm kind of surprised that these throw that big of a yellow flame. Something like that can get you killed in combat.

Only issue I had with mine is that about all you can do with it is boil water. Flame is too hot for much else. But it will boil a quart of water PDQ

The cleaning needle can be used to temper the flame. If you adjust it a bit you can turn the flame up and down. Will boil water fast though.

Howdy,

Where did you get that and do they have another one and how much?

Best

CR

I found this at an antique store. I got it in a bundle with a bunch of other things for $80. That store more or less focuses on furniture so they don't know much about military items. I don't think they really cared. Only one they had. First one I've ever seen in person. I'm looking at getting the civilian model of this. It's nickle plated and can be polished up real nice. I'd rather not risk damaging this one if I can help it. If you're wanting one I can certainly keep my eyes open for you.

If that's a model 520 it's military issue. They also made civilian models. But they weren't OD.

And in combat at night you don't even light a cigarette much less a stove. Daylight cooking only. ;)

If that's a model 520 it's military issue. They also made civilian models. But they weren't OD.

This is the AGM made version of the Coleman 520 made in 1945. It is the military model made of brass instead of steel like the Coleman's. The civilian model is the 530 made in 1946 to the early fifties. There were just a few differences between the military and civilian versions. Military models are painted OD and the frame mounts to the fount. The civilian versions were nickel plated and the frame mounted to the tank. 1950's Military versions were a bit different, I'm not too sure about how though.

We had nothing quite so cool when I was in. No M1s, no stoves, no French chicks with free wine...

Our stoves were....crude at best. :D

hameggs.jpg

can't get mine to work the plunger will not pump the go juice in to a vapor to ingnite any remedies??

Open the pump up and check the leather cup. It may have dried out. If it's in good shape just dry, try treating it with PURE Neetsfoot oil not compound. Compound bad. If the leather cup is bad (broken, torn or worn out) you'll need to replace it. They are very inexpensive, check oldcolemanparts.com. And if that doesn't work they host the Coleman Collectors Forum they can get you straightened out. Check that the filler cap gasket is good. All I had to do to mine is reattach the knob to the pump and get a new cap seal. Works great, they are so simple that there's not much that can go wrong.

If the pump is good check the cleaning needle. It may be worn out or broken. Anything more you'd have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me.

Howdy,

Im probably collecting all the stuff my Dad threw away after winning WWII.

I would like one, hard to tell if I would use it, but who knows.

I can keep a look on ebay and the gunshows, now that I know what to look fer.

Ideas on price, any one?

Best

CR

I am with Utah Bob on this one! We poked holes in a C ration can, dropped in a heat tab or piece of C-4 and cooked. Not much you can do to C - rations. Mainly ate all mine cold due to time and light restrictions. Cool looking stove you found!

Howdy,

Im probably collecting all the stuff my Dad threw away after winning WWII.

I would like one, hard to tell if I would use it, but who knows.

I can keep a look on ebay and the gunshows, now that I know what to look fer.

Ideas on price, any one?

Best

CR

I wouldn't pay more than $50-60 on one if it worked but that's just me. I wasn't actually looking for one when I found this one. If you want one to use look for the civilian model the 530 Same design with just a few small changes. Namely they were nickel-plated vs painted. Plating seems to have held better.

I wouldn't pay more than $50-60 on one if it worked but that's just me. I wasn't actually looking for one when I found this one. If you want one to use look for the civilian model the 530 Same design with just a few small changes. Namely they were nickel-plated vs painted. Plating seems to have held better.

See post 15 above

That's not a military model. That's a civilian. Not a bad piece though. Since it looks like it has everything I don't think that's a bad price. I'd try to talk him down a bit because of the missing funnel but he's not asking too much. Not in my opinion. But then again I don't know much. I just picked one up that has all that minus the diffuser plate, funnel and retaining strap for $50. I can make the strap, the diffuser plate is cheap and not needed. Warps unless you have a pot on top of it. And I have a funnel. I can pick up a spare no problem. Needs a bit of a polish and that should be it. I'm just waiting for it to come it. Should be here Tuesday.

I am with Utah Bob on this one! We poked holes in a C ration can, dropped in a heat tab or piece of C-4 and cooked. Not much you can do to C - rations. Mainly ate all mine cold due to time and light restrictions. Cool looking stove you found!

Alas the Crats won't last forever. I was planning on a snack. Sigh... :D

pryo.jpg

Wow UB that's some "tasty" looking grub you got there. Question I have is this, was it time or the tomato sauce that ate that can?

Archived