SASS Wire Forum

Testing New Powder in .32 H&R: IMPRESSED

Widder, SASS #59054

I been testing some new powder (atleast for me) in my .32 H&R mag. 1894 Marlin.

Its called 'CLEAN SHOT' and I got mine thru Clarks Bullets by Scarlet, 803 / 807-0087.

I am impressed with its performance, consistency, cleanliness, and it flows like water thru the powder measure giving me 'on the money' weight charges every time.

Wire guidelines won't allow me to post my charge info but I will list my 10 shot velocities as recorded on my Chronograph this past Sunday.

Velocities in order of firing sequence:

1217 1231 1217 1217 1227 1217 1236 1228 1241 1222

Unless my math is bad, this is ONLY a 24 fps variation from the lowest to highest velocity with an average velocity of 1225, using the particular charge I was testing.

Bullet weight was approx 80 grain. Outside temps were mid 70's.

This is good news for Cowboys that shoot .32's because it gives us a new powder to use that is readily available.

Hope this helps some of you .32 shooters.

P.S. - I hope to do some testing with CLEAN SHOT in my C45S loads during the Holidays. Stay tuned for more stuff.

PLEASE SEE MY POST #11 FOR MORE INFORMATION.

..........Widder

JB,

I'm not aware of its history or the history of that name.

But, the CLEAN SHOT I acquired from Clarks Bullets by Scarlet is a Smokeless powder.

..........Widder

Howdy Dee.

Maybe I'm learning to pull the trigger more consistent..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

I'm pulling the trigger harder and faster Widder....only result is I'm missing my targets faster now :)

I'm pulling the trigger harder and faster Widder....only result is I'm missing my targets faster now :)

Glad to have you in the club...... :D

I'll share the secret hand shake with you next time we meet.

..........Widder

To be clear, this Clean Shot is NOT the previously referenced black powder substitute.

Yes, it is a Czech made powder that I never heard about ...

Explosia a.s. established, subsidiary company of Synthesia a.s.

http://www.explosia.cz/en/?show=vdatech

http://www.explosia.cz/en/streliviny/download/catal_EN.pdf

D032
A fast burning, low density, double base, ball propellant similar to Accurate No. 2. It is excellent in all most all handgun cartridges, especially where clean burning is desirable.

Here's there centerfire loading data known as Lovex D032 and other powders ... http://www.explosia.cz/en/streliviny/download/reloading_EN.pdf

I should have mentioned in my original thread that although these velocities were obtained in my 20" barrel Marlin with a specific powder weight, I also obtained similar consistencies with lighter powder charges that reflected less velocities.

I don't have any .32 PISTOLS, therefore I couldn't test any loads other than for rifle.

CLEAN SHOT gave me good consistent velocities thru-out my testing of 4 different powder charges and those velocities listed above were from the higher charged loadings. Preferably, I like my rifle loads to be on the high side of speed and that is why I listed those specific velocities.

Of the lower charged ammo, lower velocities were obtained but yet still maintained VERY GOOD consistencies AND..... would probably give some darn good results for anyone wanting a NICE load in their .32 PISTOLS.

Have a great day!

..........Widder

...I don't have any .32 PISTOLS, therefore I couldn't test any loads other than for rifle....

..........Widder

Hey Widder,

Go ahead and load up about ten million for Anita Margarita. She'll test them for ya.

Thanks in advance!

Jackalope

I believe the Black Powder sub you are referring to is Clear Shot.

No, Two different substitute powders

* Clear Shot:

1. In December of 1999, GOEX, Inc. begins to ship limited quantities of the fruit sugar-based powder now known as Clear Shot. A bit of a legal battle with Clean Shot Technologies since the respective powders names are similar.
  1. GOEX, Inc. at their Minden, LA powder plant, scale up the Clear Shot manufacturing process in the Spring of 2001. On Oct. 31, 2001, a fire and series of explosions destroy the Clear Shot building and production line. This effectively ends the Clear Shot production.

Clean Shot ... ascorbic acid based powder

Both powders had a short life span except the Clear Shot cans.... Goex sent them to Powder Inc and Jerry repackages Goex Skirmish BP in Clear Shot cans with a Skirmish label. Have several

II have been trying this Clean Shot myself.

Not as scientifically as others but:

I find that FOR MY .38 LOADS I did not have to change my charge settings that I use for TiteGroup.

At the my middle mild loads there is less variation per charge. (Small round pellets that flow like mercury)

I have been shooting CS in the Right pistol and TG in the Left. No difference in Felt recoil.

Also looking like CS is a little cleaner.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Widder,

Have you shot them for groups?

Hey Nate.

No, I haven't shot any for actual accuracy. I might get a chance this weekend to check that out.

I have 78, 80, 83, and 100 grain bullets in the .32 caliber......... all of them sized .313

It would be interesting to try some accuracy test.

My biggest drawback on true accuracy is that I don't use rear sights on my rifles. But I should atleast be able to come up with some reasonable data.

Best regards

..........Widder

Hey Widder,

Go ahead and load up about ten million for Anita Margarita. She'll test them for ya.

Thanks in advance!

Jackalope

In the interest of testing, I will be glad to load up some 'reasonable' loads for her pistols and she can shoot them at the TUESDAY match.

I would be glad to load up some 78 and 83 grain loads unless she would prefer some 100 grain stuff.

Holler back at me or send me a PM.

..........Widder

Howdy Lumpy.

YES, in both a 78 grain and 100 grain bullet.

UNIQUE was good and it was accurate. But for giving me good and more consistent velocities and a little cleaner, I found BULLSEYE, TITEGROUP and RED DOT to be better than UNIQUE.

Now, it looks like this newer powder I'm testing just might be every bit as good as Bullseye, Titegroup and Red Dot, plus maybe a little cleaner, flows thru the powder measure like water and its consistency of velocity is unmatched, atleast in the powders I tested so far.

And please allow me to define my 'test'.

Loads are chronographed and velocities are recorded for consistency.

Cases are checked for pressure signs, including any pressure signs on the primer.

Cases and rifle are checked for unburnt powder and cleanliness..... or excessive carbon buildup.

AND, I will also check for reasonable* accuracy

* my rifles don't have rear sights. I don't like em on my SASS rifles.

I've also tested UNIVERSAL powder and although good and accurate, it was the least favorite powder I have tested, mainly because it wasn't giving me consistent velocities that I was looking for.

..........Widder

Sounds great! As long as you bring ten million, she probably won't care about bullet weight.

:D

We don't have much experience with .32 H&R, but have tried Bullseye and Titegroup with 100 gr bullets from Excalibers and 83 gr bullets from Ringer.

Still trying to convince her that Goex FFFg is the perfect powder!

Jackalope

Hey Nate.

No, I have shot any for actual accuracy. I might get a chance this weekend to check that out.

I have 78, 80, 83, and 100 grain bullets in the .32 caliber......... all of them sized .313

It would be interesting to try some accuracy test.

My biggest drawback on true accuracy is that I don't use rear sights on my rifles. But I should atleast be able to come up with some reasonable data.

Best regards

..........Widder

Tight groups for CAS is a non-issue for sure. But with that low spread they are probably accurate as well. I ask because I'm also shooting the NRA Lever Action Silhouette game so good groups is important.

I have an accurate recipe using, of all things, 2400. ( 5 shot groups touching @ 25yds)

The odd thing is it is way below book. This Clean Shot might be an alternative.

Nate,

Tomorrow being Saturday and I won't be shooting in a match, I'll try to sneak in some 'group shooting', weather permitting.

If you like, I will PM you more specific load data on anything I might have.

..........Widder

Lumpy,

haven't tried those and now with having a fair supply of Bullseye, Titegroup, Red Dot and Clean Shot, I doubt I buy any more powder to use in my .32 H&R loads.

When I initially started establishing some load data for my .32, WW231 and HP38 were not locally available.

..........Widder

Lumpy,

Unique, H110 and Blue Dot work well in 327 mag & 32 H&R cases

Haven't got to Titegroup, Red Dot nor Promo ,,,,,yet, but I bet they will work too. Bet HP38 will work in the larger case too.

HP38 works very well & meters better (consistant for small amounts) in the little 32S&W, 32ACP, & 32 Short Colts.

The ruger 327Mag will handle seven different cases.

Agree 110% about WW231-That's the reason I ask'd. ;)

Haven't tried Blue Dot in the 32's. It's my powder of choice in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm loading.

Never seen a powder burn as clean as BD does. :)

I did find that Unique with the 86gn bullet to shoot better groups in my .32 S&W Lemon Squeezer than 231 did.

OLG

I've fought Unique for years.

A good versatile powder for many calibers, but I hate the way I have to shear through the flakes when I rotate the drum on my powder measure.

The description of Cleanshot metering like mercury is particularly attractive.

Agree 110% about WW231-That's the reason I ask'd. ;)

Haven't tried Blue Dot in the 32's. It's my powder of choice in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm loading.

Never seen a powder burn as clean as BD does. :)

I did find that Unique with the 86gn bullet to shoot better groups in my .32 S&W Lemon Squeezer than 231 did.

OLG

Save the H110 & W296 powders for non SASS maximum velocity/Jacketed loads

I've fought Unique for years.

A good versatile powder for many calibers, but I hate the way I have to shear through the flakes when I rotate the drum on my powder measure.

The description of Cleanshot metering like mercury is particularly attractive.

hp38/w231 meters well too,,,, like fine grain sand

I've never worked with HP38 and limited experience with WW231.

But CLEAN SHOT is the darndest stuff I've ever seen for feeding thru my powder measure. And I been reloading since 1974 from everything in the Magnum pistol range thru the 45-70 stuff. Even the 6mm BR.

I'm intrigued enough that I plan to test it more in the C45S for my .45 pistol usage.

Stay tuned!

I think its great that we have soooooooo many different powders to use in our CAS calibers.

..........Widder

WW spec'd 231 for their mil. load in the .45acp.

WW231 powder was sold to Hodgdon and they put it out as HP38.

Has always been the same powder.

Just like WW296 is the same as H-110.

OLG

If so, and just wondering,that in older reloading books where both W231 & HP38 are used for same bullet, same reloading book, same caliber, there was a difference in velocity & pressure? Any thoughts?

If course, in newer books, the velocity & pressure for both w231 & HP38 are listed the same.

Archived