SASS Wire Forum

Please vote for the dropped round rule to go away!

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Kid, no name calling or anything else. I don't know where the badge mentioned started IJAFG (It's just a --- game). That along with the old saying "what would Roy do" seems to have gotten away from us. I think the keyboard hasn't helped. I know better to say anything on the wire, but sometimes I lose my mind. Happy Trails.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rule should really go. Cat's argument of fast shooters saving time really makes no sense because going for a round that would be unsafe to pick up is certainly not a time saver. And as stated a jacked round is more than likely gonna be behind the shooter and i cant imagine anyone going for it.

Realistically the only people who will be penalized are people who grabbed a round instinctually because it was right next to where their gun was or because it was in midair and it was natural to catch it. Both of which are plenty safe. No one who ive seen penalized had thought process and went out of their way to get it. Its always been someone who just grabbed without thinking because it was within easy reach

Most times ive seen the 170 broken due to carelessness it was because the stage had lateral movement. We dont outlaw that because we assume people playing this game have muzzle control ingrained in their minds and know how to move safely. Same assumption should apply here.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Personal insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Personal insult

The rule should really go. Cat's argument of fast shooters saving time really makes no sense because going for a round that would be unsafe to pick up is certainly not a time saver. And as stated a jacked round is more than likely gonna be behind the shooter and i cant imagine anyone going for it.

Realistically the only people who will be penalized are people who grabbed around instinctually because it was right next to where their gun was or because it was in midair and it was natural to catch it. Both of which are plenty safe. No one who ive seen penalized had thought process and went out of their way to get it. Its always been someone who just grabbed without thinking because it was within easy reach

Most times ive seen the 170 broken due to carelessness it was because the stage had lateral movement. We dont outlaw that because we assume people playing this game have muzzle control ingrained in their minds and know how to move safely. Same assumption should apply here.

This makes so much more sense than Cat's conjecture and pretend.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - personal attack
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - personal attack

This makes so much more sense than Cat's conjecture and pretend.

Couldn't that be said about pretty much every one of Cat's posts?

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I am still for Must Retrieve dropped rounds :mellow:

The best part of the rule going away is so that I can begin witnessing all of this mid-air catching that goes on…

Having timed one or two folks in my time I haven't got to see how prevalent this must be… some places ?

All of the confusing round scrounging Minor Safeties that must be going on? Will be the way of the Dodo bird… :blink:

This thread was going great with the ignoring and pseudo insults then Culpepper had to remind me how the west was won with "crotch draws"!! Now i won't get any sleep tonite!!

bawhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Cinch!!!

I am still for Must Retrieve dropped rounds :mellow:

The best part of the rule going away is so that I can begin witnessing all of this mid-air catching that goes on…

Having timed one or two folks in my time I haven't got to see how prevalent this must be… some places ?

All of the confusing round scrounging Minor Safeties that must be going on? Will be the way of the Dodo bird… :blink:

This thread was going great with the ignoring and pseudo insults then Culpepper had to remind me how the west was won with "crotch draws"!! Now i won't get any sleep tonite!!

Before I got my Rossi worked on, it was ejecting a live round every few stages. I did catch one instinctively. Rifle was still pointing forward safely. Got yelled at by TO to drop the round, did, and loaded one from my belt.

IMHO, revoking this rule won't mean we'll see shooters clamoring all over the dusty floors. Now when you are standing behind a table with a shotgun and you drop a shell right in front of you, you can pick it up off the table.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Reply to insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Reply to insult

Couldn't that be said about pretty much every one of Cat's posts?

Be nice Redwood. My comments are no more conjecture, and certainly no more "pretend" (whatever that means), than any others here, including yours...get it? I believe you're on the wrong side of this, but that's okay. What isn't ok are your snide insults.

This topic points out that it is too difficult to educate & train the average SASS people a simple task of not touching or using a dropped/ejected round from their long guns. :( The probability of a dropped round is small, which means the occurence would be equally small. But we just can not do it. The people most likely to reach for the dropped round are more likely to be the newbies. As other topics have pointed out, we are not seeing many new shooters.

Is there other every day rules that penalize for safety violations? YES... A common day corralation would be a speed limit sign stating 50MPH on a roadway. There are other laws that would penalize a driver that had an accident and cause injury/damage,,,, but we still have the speed limit signs that could give penalties if disobeyed, but no safety issues were occurred.

I now wonder what the modivation is for people to get up in arms about something that shouldn't be an issue to such accomplished and skilled shooters.?

I really don't care one way or the other on this issue. Cleaning up the Rule Books makes about as much sense as any..... And with that, there are several other non functioning skeletons in the Rule Books that could be cleared out.

As someone mentioned, the nit-picking about anything associated with SASS is just getting more intense.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Encouraging insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Encouraging insult

And, PWB, I think it bad form for you, or any of the Territorial Governors, to use these Forums to involve yourselves in these debates, given your unique and esteemed stature in this game. Further, PWB, I believe your arguments favoring the repeal of the dropped round rules are flawed (again, my opinion).

Your BS opinion is noted and rejected out of hand.

Information posted on the various forums by me or any other Territorial Governor or member of the Range Operations Committee is primarily for informational purposes regarding the reasons the issue is on the Agenda ballot in the first place (for the nth time). Last time I looked, that is one of the primary functions listed in the "job description".

As a SASS member, I am also allowed to post my personal opinion on ANY issues up for discussion or vote.

I'll waste no more of my time responding to your personal attacks.

PWB

Best to all,

- Cat Brules -

That has got to be in the top 3 best reply post I've read this year.

Realistically the only people who will be penalized are people who grabbed a round instinctually because it was right next to where their gun was or because it was in midair and it was natural to catch it. Both of which are plenty safe. No one who ive seen penalized had thought process and went out of their way to get it. Its always been someone who just grabbed without thinking because it was within easy reach

I like your argument, Tuco. I simply find the idea of abolishing the rule is frought with risk. I believe that (as you stated), "we assume people playing this game have muzzle control ingrained in their minds and know how to move safely. Same assumption should apply here." is accurate.....we do make the assumption, but I believe that it's too often ill-conceived. I believe the dropped round rule to be a safety barrier and part of the ingrained "SASS choreography," which ensures that muzzle control is maintained. Because of our strict controls, the safety failings of many old and new shooters are masked. We lose nothing, really, by keeping the rule, but we erode our safety controls by abolishing it.

Cat Brules

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Getting personal
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Getting personal

...And, PWB, I think it bad form for you, or any of the Territorial Governors, to use these Forums to involve yourselves in these debates, given your unique and esteemed stature in this game. Further, PWB, I believe your arguments favoring the repeal of the dropped round rules are flawed (again, my opinion).

Information posted on the various forums by me or any other Territorial Governor or member of the Range Operations Committee is primarily for informational purposes regarding the reasons the issue is on the Agenda ballot in the first place (for the nth time). Last time I looked, that is one of the primary functions listed in the "job description".

As a SASS member, I am also allowed to post my personal opinion on ANY issues up for discussion or vote.

PWB

Best to all,

- Cat Brules -

...And, PWB, I think it bad form for you, or any of the Territorial Governors, to use these Forums to involve yourselves in these debates, given your unique and esteemed stature in this game. Further, PWB, I believe your arguments favoring the repeal of the dropped round rules are flawed (again, my opinion).

PWB

Best to all,

- Cat Brules -

Yeah.......that's very clever and cute. It's a foolish and juvenile response and a monument to his frustrated bullying and weak attempts to intimidate. If you think this is humorous, rather than the disgraceful, acrimonious outburst that it is, then that says a lot about you.

People look to this man for his wisdom. His insight to the rules is the touchstone to assure us. People also may look to him to know (emulate) how to act and behave. In this particular instance, that's too bad. He has a vital role in analyzing, consulting and conveying information, and that carries responsibility. We ALL need his efforts. We DO NOT however, have to agree with him all the time, and we should say so when we don't. Disagreement does not translate to disrespect. Throwing a tantrum to beat up opposing arguments only diminishes him. I stand by my arguments and I'm sure he'll stand by his insults. Too bad.

Cat Brules

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Response to hidden post.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - Response to hidden post.

" People look to this man for his wisdom" etc.

You say a lot of positive things about PWB then you tear him down because he gives his "wise" your word , opinion. I think anybody playing this games opinion is valid to them and I welcome them all. But I'm wearing thin with your attacks of someone that gives more in a day than you have ever.

By the way. I haven't been doing this as long as many and although I may not always agree with the veterans of the game they know better than most how we got to where we are. Knowing the history can often times help with the future. So trying to mute PWB and others is just foolish. At the end of the day you still get to vote the way you see it but with far more information than you started with.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - More personal attacks
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 6, 2015 - More personal attacks

I feel that Cat is more insulting than Phantom ever dreamed of, well maybe equal.

I've never shot with CB or even met him, and at this point I would have to say I wouldn't want to do either!

I'll have PWB's back until and after the cows come home, and yes he and I have disagreed at times. After all, he can't always be right!!! Thas a joke son, a joke!!

Hello,

If you want to continue discussing the topic on this thread, stick to discussing the rule change. Not other people. If you take issue with the way something is said or see a personal attack, please Report it so the Moderators can deal with it immediately.

Thank you,

Allie

PS Thank you to those who do use the Report process!

This is indeed a redundant rule. Also can be very subjective and not uniformly applied. Let's get it out of here. If YOU do not feel safe retrieving a dropped round, then by all means, don't do it.

CR

I would like to know why people think that it is a safety issue to use a cartridge that I have cleared from a jam in my '92. It is laying right there on the table, counter, etc; right next to the rifle. I have safely cleared the jam, without violating the 170 or sweeping anyone, where is the problem? Seems to me that this rule needs to be done away with as soon as possible.

I would like to know why people think that it is a safety issue to use a cartridge that I have cleared from a jam in my '92. It is laying right there on the table, counter, etc; right next to the rifle. I have safely cleared the jam, without violating the 170 or sweeping anyone, where is the problem? Seems to me that this rule needs to be done away with as soon as possible.

If you PLACED the round there you may use it without penalty. If it FELL there you may not, under the current rules. Even if it was just a couple of inches. If the round was ever out of your direct control it is verbotten. And agreed, the rule needs to go.

Maybe it's just me, but I would truly like to see PHANTOM reply to this post, as only he can.

Me too. But alas, he is nowhere to be found. . Wonder why we haven't heard from Phantom lately?

Oy

CZX

Bart - I saw a shooter at PoP lose a category state championship over picking up a dropped shotgun shell on a table. Yes, he should have known better, but picking up that dropped shell posed no safety hazard what so ever.

Should the rule be taken away, the biggest change I see is that some folks will be picking up rounds off tables, very very few, if any will be going to the ground to retrieve dropped rounds.

I am a regular shooter and know a bunch who think as I do that it's time for the rule to go away.

Clubs ive shot at don't care if its off a table they only care if its off the actual ground. Yes the rule needs to go away.

WHY does this "vote Yes to abolish" the dropped round penalty have a following at all!?

Answer? I can't answer..... The only conceivable rationale that makes sense to me is that it may occasionally keep someone's time lower than it otherwise would have

Given that, I believe we are nudging the scales of probability ever further toward a certainty, that a shooting injury or death will occur. WHY take that risk? So some 9-second wizard may keep his numbers low should he drop a round?

Best to all,

- Cat Brules -

How are these statements not "conjecture and pretend"??????????? Why was my earlier post, stating the same deleted by a moderator?????????????

Archived