SASS Wire Forum

how come groceries cost so much?

Trigger Mike

while in town my wife sends a text to go buy sour cream for the tacos she is making tonight. I go to the grocery store, think to myself how glad she'd be and surprised if I bought some salsa and chips. While there I saw some organic salad mix and some Tyson cooked and cut up chicken to go on the salad for lunch tomorrow, and some cheese and croutons. Then I saw juice the kids could take to school and we needed orange juice since everyone is sick. Then some lemonade to mix with honey and brandy to help everyone feel better. Then I saw a whole chicken for $1 a pound so I could not pass it up. Bananas seemed a good idea at 50 cents a pound as did oranges since we are all sick with a cold. Then some perrier to help settle stomachs in case the medication for the cold upsets anyones stomach. Might as well get eggs, we always need those. more mexican cheese for the tacos. Thought it'd make her happy. Knew there was something else I was to get but could not remember, nor did I think to look at my phone to see if it might tell me what I forgot. Checked out and spent $145. got half way home and she sends another text to also get condensed milk, saw the sour cream request and remembered, I FORGOT the sour cream. I spent $145 to make her happy and she says to me on the phone as I drive home, all you had to spend was $4.00 I didn't want the other things you bought. I bought some of them yesterday. Oh well. I said, " the kids can eat tacos without sour cream" all is well.

A few months ago, gasoline went up a lot herein Calif.

The food stores started raising prices.

10% then another 10% then another 10%.

For example, eggs doubled in three weeks.

What I see today is everything in the market went up 40% to 50% on most items and as much as 100% on some items.

Now gas is lower than it has been in years and the prices at the market are not coming down.

Checked receipts, what use to cost me $50 now costs me $90+.

The food supply companies should be doing quite well today.

A few months ago, gasoline went up a lot herein Calif.

The food stores started raising prices.

10% then another 10% then another 10%.

For example, eggs doubled in three weeks.

What I see today is everything in the market went up 40% to 50% on most items and as much as 100% on some items.

Now gas is lower than it has been in years and the prices at the market are not coming down.

Checked receipts, what use to cost me $50 now costs me $90+.

The food supply companies should be doing quite well today.

Price rises were not because of fuel.

A list of people who have to cover their costs and make a living so that groceries are on the shelves is pretty long. Everyone has their markup, but we live in a blessed country where there are no shortages of food to buy.

Then what pray tell?

Mostly eggs. Avian flu caused flocks of chickens to be destroyed. I paid $7 for 3 dozen yesterday. I used to pay $4.50. I have not seen large increases in other foods. In in New England, transportation is a large factor in the price of food here.

Howdy,

How do the stores raise the price of a cup of coffee when coffee is at a 52 week LOW

on the market.

And gas is half what it was a few years back.

GREED.

Its that simple.

BEst

CR

Gotta disagree. I have been the grocery shopper for nearly 60 years, and I have been very surprised at the low rate of price increase. Absolutely cannot compare with the cost of a car. Or a house. Or a registered dog. Or a movie. What about Wrangler jeans?

And we wont even talk about gasoline, that I paid 25 cents a gallon for as a teenager.

Grocery prices have done well. Course here in Texas we have a huge, great, company, called HEB, that is a fantastic citizen as well as a dang good store with good prices. I read that my part of Austin is over 80% Yankee. Maybe our grocery prices help explain why tons of people are moving here, and micro few move away.

When we go to the market I'm not allowed out of the car. :o

The only place Uno believes groceries are sold is Costco. "Why buy a single can when it's cheaper by the case?" I'm glad the house has a pantry to store all of Uno's "extras". Now that he's working, I get to regain the cooking duties.

Archived