SASS Wire Forum

Keeping an alias- a curious question

Two Spurs

The thread about purchasing a lower badge number got me to wondering... :blink:

Numbers are no big deal to me (like most) but Oklahoma Dee brought up a good point about having the number of, say, your grandfather that was in SASS. That would be a really neat thing to have. I totally get that. Kind of getting to shoot your grandfather's old Colts or such.

I've read the pinned threads about the membership comes with an alias and if you let the membership go you loose the alias as well. It is what it is, but it makes me curious as to why a name can't be "retired" once chosen. To let someone else pick up your alias just seems.......wrong for some reason.

There "can't" be another Judge, or Justice Lilly Kate, or, Larson Pettifogger, or Phantom, or Pale Wolf Brunelle, or,.....you get my point.

Be nice if that could change. What is the downside to not letting a name be used by someone else?

Howdy,

I think you are talking about a life membership.....?

I don't know what SASS does after a pard dies, but do you care at that point?

Best

CR

My husband has not been able to shoot SASS since 2005. I still pay for his membership as I don't want someone else to have it. So, the downside for SASS is, they would not be getting that renewal money if his name was retired with him.

Good morning Allie Mo. ^_^

Guess I was thinking a b it too naive- Fred Flintstone wants to join SASS and likes the name Two Spurs but it is taken/can't be used. Fred simply picks another alias and joins...

Didn't think about an example like yours with the hubby. I'm sure there are more examples like that than we know. Most would call that "marketing". Others would have other comments... :lol:

Howdy,

I think you are talking about a life membership.....?

I don't know what SASS does after a pard dies, but do you care at that point?

Best

CR

Nah- was talking about regular membership. I agree with you that it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of life- just curious.

Hey.... :huh: ... you can buy an older number.... maybe you could buy....an alias! They haven't come up with that one yet!

If that comes to pass I want my alias for free since I came up with the idea! :lol:

There is a program to protect your alias. It's called paying your annual dues (or sign up for life membership)!!! And support the organization that provides all those benefits!! and not have to worry about losing your alias.

Looking at the data misty shared, this seems to be the problem, members sign up, get their badge and alias for a few years and drop membership. Don't want your alias taken, Join!

I'm all for if you life member or a member that paid dues and passed away, that the alias is retired or something, but if not, we all knew that if we stopped supporting sass with membership that the alias is no longer protected. JMHO

The down side would be taking someone else's alias for whatever the circumstances and then having to live up to that persons reputation and/or skills

KK

The down side would be taking someone else's alias for whatever the circumstances and then having to live up to that persons reputation and/or skills

KK

And WHO can live up to the reputation of the Legendary Korupt Karl ! :o

They ain't been born yet..... ;)

..........Widder

Ladies and Gentlemen, my alias is "Bad Hand", after I took it, I learned about Col. McKenzie, he was a great soldier during the Indian wars. Non the less, when I die, I would be honored if someone took it and used it as long as they could.

And WHO can live up to the reputation of the Legendary Korupt Karl ! :o

They ain't been born yet..... ;)

..........Widder

Was that a compliment............or......................??? :lol:

KK

Which brings up a whole 'nuther thought- What if a non-Gun Fighter took a GF's name? :o

What if a smokeless guy took a soot lord's name???? :o Would someone do that on purpose? The plot thickens...

:P:lol: :lol: :lol:

Was that a compliment............or......................??? :lol:

Which brings up a whole 'nuther thought- What if a non-Gun Fighter took a GF's name? :o

What if a smokeless guy took a soot lord's name???? :o Would someone do that on purpose? The plot thickens...

:P:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tell you this much.......... they wouldn't be a JEDI GF ... ;)

In the JEDI GF listing that is maintained by DeadHead, when a JEDI passes, the name is identified with a RIP notation.

..........Widder

Worrying about someone getting your alias seems silly. Right now there's probably a couple people that have your birth name. As someone pointed out the new name owner has more to worry about. You could be carrying a name of a hero or a villain and not even know it. Would be a good idea when a previously used name becomes available if there was an asterisk next to it. I wouldn't want one that was used. But who knows maybe I've already done that. MW

Certainly didn't mean anything by it. Just an opinion that means about as much as anybody's. I'm sure if we talked long enough you'd find some of my thoughts silly and that's fine with me. Doesn't make ether of us right or wrong.

By the way Hate sounds more offensive than Silly. JMO. MW

Certainly didn't mean anything by it. Just an opinion that means about as much as anybody's. I'm sure if we talked long enough you'd find some of my thoughts silly and that's fine with me. Doesn't make ether of us right or wrong.

By the way Hate sounds more offensive than Silly. JMO. MW

Okay, I dislike it when someone calls my ideas silly. :o:P;)

Archived