SASS Wire Forum

Found a new love, can't wait to hunt with her

Trigger Mike

For years I hunted with WW2 rifles. Either a Yugo mauser, 98k Mauser, 1917 enfield, and when my eyes got bad a 1903a4, then a repro 1903a4 or a Russian Mosin Nagant sniper. Also for years I thought of getting a Weatherby but they were expensive and prefer military weapons. As I age it gets harder running thru the woods with a 10 pound rifle. I refuse to ride my ATV and walk to wherever I go for the exercise. A month or so ago I accrued enough points to get a free Weatherby and partly paid for Leupold scope with my Cabelas card. I took her out to zero today after wandering thru the woods looking for my sons wounded deer. I decided 10 pounds and old age don't mix after a while.

That Weatherby zeros just fine. Bullets tough each other at 25. She hit dead on at 100 and 150. my military scopes sometimes were not easy enough to see at 150 to hit the target there due to my eyes. I was able to usually take a deer at 150 with the military rifles, now I can see the target at that distance even better and hopefully make a better shot.

I can't wait to take her out and see how she does. Now that some of my timber was cleared I have longer shots I can make as I can see further and the deer seem to be coming up to where I did not cut.

Battle rifles, especially bolt guns, were made heavy enough to fire thousands of rounds and be used with a bayonet or as a club. Your Weatherby is a lean hunting rifle made to put five rounds into the kill zone on game within the effective range of the cartridge, usually 300-400 yards for a .270, .30-06 or any of Roy Weatherby's magnums. Two very different lists of tasks and designs.

The Weatherby would be a poor choice on the battlefield except for a sniper.

The battle bolt gun is a tool with limited, though usuallu fun and effective, for occasional shots at unarmed whitetails.

I expected a dog story too...! ^_^

How 'bout some details 'bout the Weatherby...? Model? Caliber? Wood or composite stock? :)

And what mysterious Points are these that get you a free rifle???

Weatherby Vanguard, composite stock. I have a Cabelas credit card that accrues points for Cabelas and I saved them up enough, and they sent me a coupon for 5% off firearms and 10% everything else, so I went and used my points for the rifle and the rest toward the scope which made it affordable. it took me a while to save them up.

the stock is grey but for another 100 I could have gotten a Cabelas exclusive camo stock but I figure the deer don't know the difference.

the only thing my lab mix hunts , is a warm buttered biskets

CB :blink:

We recently adopted a retired military working dog (i.e. Military Police K9). He was a drug sniffer and a people eater, but after the irreversible surgery, he became too friendly to be a people eater anymore. That's fine; I didn't want a people eater. But I imagine that if anyone comes around who shouldn't be, SGT Odin (US Army, Retired) will handle business in my absence.

As to hunting, do tennis balls count? I really miss the golden retriever I duck hunted with as a kid. He's been gone for 25 years, at least.

Vanguard is a Howa, Japanese built. Respectable rifle indeed.

So what caliber?

Sassparilla Kid has one in .270 with a Leupold... :)

Archived