SASS Wire Forum

m1 carbine did not bring it down

Trigger Mike

my son uses a M1carbine to hunt due to his size and skinny shoulder. he hit his first buck today in the shoulder, it jumped, ran , stopped and looked back thru the bushes where he hit it in the head. it kept running and after an hour and a half running him down i het him with my 3006 to finish him. i had thought the soft lead round carbine would have done better.

To each his own, but I would not trust a carbine as a hunting arm for large game.

my son uses a M1carbine to hunt due to his size and skinny shoulder. he hit his first buck today in the shoulder, it jumped, ran , stopped and looked back thru the bushes where he hit it in the head. it kept running and after an hour and a half running him down i het him with my 3006 to finish him. i had thought the soft lead round carbine would have done better.

I don't hunt, but I wonder if the 110 Jacketed Soft Point might have expanded too fast and failed to penetrate deep enough to bring the buck down

To each his own, but I would not trust a carbine as a hunting arm for large game.

+1 The M-1 Carbine is a very efficient wounding weapon. It's killing capability has always been in question.

In archery, since the broadhead does not expand, the two critical factors are placement and penetration. With a marginal round like the Carbine I expect one of these two was lacking. Either the placement was poor or the round failed to penetrate to the vital organs. Since you said the shot was in the shoulder my guess is lack of penetration. You may well find the bullet was stopped when it impacted a bone. I think the solution to your dilemma is changing him to another caliber that doesn't have heavy recoil or make sure he only takes shots to the ribcage preferably just behind the shoulder. If he is not able to place his shots precisely more power is required to insure a clean kill. More practice and experience will also help. With a bow a shoulder shot is rarely lethal so a ethical bow hunter will only shoot into the chest from the side or quartering away. That means he must have the discipline to let many deer pass without taking a shot. Since this was your sons first shot at a deer I assume he is fairly young or very inexperienced. With proper guidance from you he will learn and and improve. The fact that you took the hour and a half to hunt the deer down tells me you have the skill and ethics to make a good hunter out of him and I salute you for your following up on a wounded deer. Many wouldn't have bothered.

Sorry, to many years as a hunter education instructor and riding along with our local conservation officer and seeing the reality of hunters that just don't care.

it hit right where he should have so it failed to penetrate. there was no exit wound and the head shot was right by the ear. I doubt it went far. he did stay close by and when he moved he did not go far, we did keep stirring him to move again and finally got him out in the open. i wish he could use a 3006.

I have an SKS that does not recoil much i might see how he does with that. i also have my fathers' 35 remington marlin. the stock is a little long for him though on that one.

That .35 Remington would be a great option. You can find another stock and cut it short for your son. As he grows, you can add spacers under the buttplate and finally put the original stock back on the gun. 200 and 220 grain bullets from the .35 Remington have brough down a great number of deer and hogs. Recoil and muzzle blast are manageable.

The .30 Carbine is a marginal round in a great gun and requires exceptional bullet placement or luck to be effective. A shot in the mid- to high neck will hit spinal cord, windpipe and/or major blood vessels. This is a difficult shot with the iron sights and variables that make hunting interesting. It requires experience and pratice, or a ton of luck.

Good choice to stay after injured game. Excellent example.

Both CZ and Zastava make a sweet little "Mini Mauser" in 762x39. I've got a CZ, and like the heck out of it.

Just wish extra magazines weren't forty bucks each.

The Zastava does not use detachable, but has a built-in five-rounder, like a full-size one.

it hit right where he should have so it failed to penetrate. there was no exit wound and the head shot was right by the ear. I doubt it went far. he did stay close by and when he moved he did not go far, we did keep stirring him to move again and finally got him out in the open. i wish he could use a 3006.

I have an SKS that does not recoil much i might see how he does with that. i also have my fathers' 35 remington marlin. the stock is a little long for him though on that one.

The SKS round has about the same ballistics as a 30-30. When I was living in Minnesota I knew several folks that took deer with an SKS.

One of my buddies always hunted with a M1 Carbine. I always knew when Tim shot a deer. bang-bang-bang. He always made 3 very rapid shots and always got a deer. Every year for about 10 years he put meat on the table with that little carbine. I never saw one run more than about 50 yards before going down for the count after he shot it.

Jeff

he can't hold the SKS, too front heavy for him. I have an AR with a cheap Nustar scope on it and sighted it in. will go back out with the 35 marlin. My father also gave me a Rossi 44 mag i think he could handle it just fine.

Maybe take a look at something chambered in 6.5x55 Mauser. Mild recoil, very accurate, great penetration with the right ammo. It kicks less then a 44 Magnum or 30-30

A 6.5 x 50 Jap , is a nice little round ,

CB

I ssupect an Arisaka might be a bit long for the boy.

Although those little sons of Nippon could use them effectively as i understand.

Yes a full sized one would be , But they made a handy little carbine also

the one I hav always wanted it the type 44 Cav carbine , had a nifty UNDER folding bayo

CB

How bout the Type 2 Paratrooper? Break er down and pack it. :)

That 6.5 and 7.7 Jap ammo is Exxxxpensive! I have never in anything but full metal jacket versions.

The 6.5x55 Swede is a great round but most rifle have 29" barrels. Carbines are quote pricey.

That Marlin in .35 Remington with an added short stock still sounds like a good option.

Many young shooters start hunting with a .243 bolt gun. Light recoil and very effective ammo options.

Years ago a neighbor's boy was pretty small for his age. He had a Remington 600 in 6mm Remington. He took a nice mule deer with one shot. If you can find a 600, that might be a good one. The Rossi .44 Magnum shouldn't kick all that much and the 20" barrel should balance nicely for him.

That 6.5 and 7.7 Jap ammo is Exxxxpensive! I have never in anything but full metal jacket versions.

The 6.5x55 Swede is a great round but most rifle have 29" barrels. Carbines are quote pricey.

That Marlin in .35 Remington with an added short stock still sounds like a good option.

Many young shooters start hunting with a .243 bolt gun. Light recoil and very effective ammo options.

Be careful on the ammo selection for the 6mm/243. Some of the bullets offered are too hard. I lost a nice doe due to a perfectly placed pencil sized hole in and out. She went into dense brush with no blood trail. I didn't find her until she was long spoiled.

Just to add. Back when I still hunted, I always used an M1 Carbine. I may have missed several times, because I seen a branch break below or above the deer, or dirt fly nearby but not close to the deer. But when I hit it, it went down. Never had an unsuccessful season due to the carbine. I took a deer each season. 1 hit shot each time. MT

There are a number of commercial rifles chambered in 6.5 x 55, Tikka, CZ and Steyr make one and I am sure there are others out there as well.

I don't hunt, but I wonder if the 110 Jacketed Soft Point might have expanded too fast and failed to penetrate deep enough to bring the buck down

What 110 JSP bullet? The man said it was a soft lead bullet.

I've taken two muley bucks with a carbine back when I didn't have anything else. Wouldn't be my choice, but the little gun will kill if properly loaded and competently used.

The good news here is that the animal was not wasted!!

Glad to hear that you finally got it down in the end.

The Model Seven Remington is pretty dang light and comes in several recoil friendly calibers. I've an older walnut stocked with 18.5 barrel in 222 and its become a favorite varmint rifle where shots aren't in the next county.

Archived