SASS Wire Forum

"SPADS" with a load........

Got some favorite planes from 'Nam: F-4, Huey, C-123 Provider, and Spads.

I saw Spads take off, climb to altitude, hang a fully loaded bird on the prop and then roll out to stir Charlie's s...crap all over the place. Gotta love something thas is so ugly, efficient, and deadly. Never saw a Warthog in flight, but suspect they were similar.

Call out to MiG jockies: Gad Dad, you been had by a Spad.

In October 1965, CDR Clarence W. Stoddard, Jr., Executive Officer of VA-25 "Fist of the Fleet", flying A-1H Skyraider Bu. No. 135297, NE/572, from Carrier Air Wing Two aboard USS Midway, carried a special bomb to the North Vietnamese in commemoration of the 6-millionth pound of ordnance dropped. This bomb was unique because of the type..... it was a toilet! Also unique to this mission is the fact this aircraft was named "Paper Tiger II" (a temporary name used for just this one flight).

Pictures and video at:

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midwayva25bomb/

from Wikipedia:

Shortly after Heinemann began design of the XBT2D-1, a study was issued that showed for every 100 lb (45 kg) of weight reduction the takeoff run was decreased by 8 ft (2.4 m), the combat radius increased by 22 mi (35 km) and the rate-of-climb increased by 18 ft/min (0.091 m/s). Heinemann immediately had his design engineers begin a program for finding weight-saving on the XBT2D-1 design, no matter how small. Simplifying the fuel system resulted in a reduction of 270 lb (120 kg); 200 lb (91 kg) by eliminating an internal bomb bay and hanging the bombs, drop tanks and rockets from the wings or fuselage; 70 lb (32 kg) by using a fuselage dive brake; and 100 lb (45 kg) by using an older tailwheel design. In the end, Heinemann and his design engineers found over 1,800 lb (820 kg) of weight savings on the original XBT2D-1 design.[7]

The A-1 Spad was one heckofa CAS bird! I don't know exactly how the A-10 compares loadwise, and loiter time wise, but that 30mm gatling gun up front can do some serious business, as can its ability to absorb groundfire! The 4-star jet jocks in my old alma mater keep claiming the A-10 can't survive in a "contested environment", and the F-35 can take its place. Problem is the F-35 is still a "fast mover"! Try to slow an F-35 down like an A-10 and you'll either stall out or be just as much meat for SAM's, but probably with more equipment that can get torn up by ground fire! Maybe USAF should transfer the A-10's to the Army! The Marines have their own CAS air forces, and do a danged good job at it! (They are getting the F-35B and C models to replace their Harriers!) Ah, well...

The A-10 was never intended to be a dog fighter. It was designed to take out heavily defended ground based targets. Those high speed low drag lawn darts were supposed to fly aircover for the A-10 so it could do its job.

the F-35 reminds me of the old saying "Jack of all trades...Master of none."

When we located a target in VietNam the info was sent to the G-3. If he had a choice for the day the bird of choice was always the A-1s.

The A-1 Spad was one heckofa CAS bird! I don't know exactly how the A-10 compares loadwise, and loiter time wise, but that 30mm gatling gun up front can do some serious business, as can its ability to absorb groundfire! The 4-star jet jocks in my old alma mater keep claiming the A-10 can't survive in a "contested environment", and the F-35 can take its place. Problem is the F-35 is still a "fast mover"! Try to slow an F-35 down like an A-10 and you'll either stall out or be just as much meat for SAM's, but probably with more equipment that can get torn up by ground fire! Maybe USAF should transfer the A-10's to the Army! The Marines have their own CAS air forces, and do a danged good job at it! (They are getting the F-35B and C models to replace their Harriers!) Ah, well...

The A-10 can loiter indefinitely, thanks to refueling. It's job isn't to fight in a contested environment, that's what the F birds are for. Still, they have modern avionics and can utilize air-to-air weaponry. I will believe the F-35 can take over for the A-10 when it can deliver strikes at danger close ranges to our troops, survive the things A-10s have survived in the way of ground fire and make it back to base, and when rounds striking the cockpit don't take out the driver.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my logic professor in college flew Skyraiders off of aircraft carriers (for some reason I want to say the Oriskany) during Vietnam.

The last of the Best. Proper CAS airplanes have big, round, loud engines. They have large Propellers. They sit on their tails. Those who hide, whisper to

each other ......... Do Not Shoot at that Airplane.

Coffinmaker

The last of the Best. Proper CAS airplanes have big, round, loud engines. They have large Propellers. They sit on their tails. Those who hide, whisper to

each other ......... Do Not Shoot at that Airplane.

Coffinmaker

Same was said of the LOCH: if you shoot at the little bird, the big birds will come and you don't want that!

When the little plane says over the radio "Hit my Willy Peter"...... I would advise you to follow his directions. :)

Listen ti that bird start up. I love the sound of radial engines, sort of like two garbage cans tumbling down a flight of stairs. When I was with CAF I got a ride in a twin Beach ("Beach Baby") What a Kick!

Listen ti that bird start up. I love the sound of radial engines, sort of like two garbage cans tumbling down a flight of stairs. When I was with CAF I got a ride in a twin Beach ("Beach Baby") What a Kick!

Bugs, was that the Confederate Air Force...? :rolleyes:

I alway thought it was amazing, the amount of diplomacy could be projected with NAPALM. The SPAD was a wonderful machine. I crewed on PUFF, the

Magic Dragon. Often, the SPAD drivers called us in for a little assistance in spreading diplomacy. Was always a really quiet area when we left.

Coffinmaker

I alway thought it was amazing, the amount of diplomacy could be projected with NAPALM. The SPAD was a wonderful machine. I crewed on PUFF, the

Magic Dragon. Often, the SPAD drivers called us in for a little assistance in spreading diplomacy. Was always a really quiet area when we left.

Coffinmaker

I worked nights as G-2 Air in the operations center of II FFV at Long Bihn junction. We'd go outside to watch Puff work in the southern part of the Iron Triangle. Looked like a lighted water hose accompanied by the sound of tearing a LARGE sheet of paper.

Bugs, was that the Confederate Air Force...? :rolleyes:

Yes sir, that was when it was called the Confederate Air Force, to be politically correct the name has been changed to Commemorative Air Force.

Archived