SASS Wire Forum

Our Ancestors Were Not Nice People

Subdeacon Joe

I would think someone at the battle would have taken the weapon. Metal wasn't all that cheap was it?

A blade driven that deep would be a bear to pull out. Better to drop it than to spend 30 seconds or so trying to pull it out while unpleasant strangers are trying to kill you.

I would think someone at the battle would have taken the weapon. Metal wasn't all that cheap was it?

more likely scavengers after the battle. But if it was from the Gallic Wars, there likely were not many survivors on the loser's side ad the scavengers had better pickings than mere spear points.

Saw a skull in a military museum in Texas years back when I was a kid that had an irregular hole on its left side and a metal arrow point protruding out about 3/4" on its right side. It was found, along with some other incomplete skeletal remains, on military property, amongst some old camp rock out in the desert near a long-dried-up spring. Other miscellaneous weathered out gear was found there with it, including boots with the uppers cut off them.

That could also be a modern day "gang banger" and the teeth were pulled out since they were gold capped!

From the angle I'm wondering if he was mounted, and done in by a foot soldier... or perhaps a coup de grâce if he had been wounded and was lying on the ground... :mellow:

Don't think our country would be where it is at, (WW I, WW II) if it were not for our not so nice people that came here.

Mom was right.

Remember when she told you not to put anything in your ear bigger than your elbow? Look where it got this poor guy.

At a recent discussion about the possibility of intelligent alien life elsewhere in the universe, I opined there is NO evidence to support the possibility...especially on Sol's 3rd planet! Elsewhere, maybe. The most likely reason nobody from another solar system or galaxy far, far away has contacted us, is because they figure we are way too primative and uncivilized to be bothered with!

"Beam me up, Scotty! There is not intelligent life on Earth!" :wacko::wacko::wacko:

It all started with Cain and Abel - we have never been all that nice to each other. - and still aren't today.

This.

Fascinating picture that leaves plenty to the imagination.

My ancestors were all nice people. Everdangone. Accountants mostly. Big on readin. Good at runnin away too. ;)

Uhhh...yeah...I come from a long line of bad, bad people. My Scottish ancestors were known for cattle and sheep thieving, murdering, and pillaging. A full moon in Scotland is still referred to by my last name ("MacFarlane's Lantern," which is the original spelling of my last name but has since changed due to ancestors immigrating to Ireland). My Irish ancestors were burned at the stake for being protestant, but they did some burning of their own. My English ancestors were nobles from the House of Wessex, England's first dynasty (I am a direct descendant of England's first king and several thereafter). Nobility in the 500s AD, as far back as I've traced my English origins, was not exactly "noble" by today's rendering of the word. It meant they were the most brutal and took rulership by force. My Norman ancestors killed my English ancestors and took over the crown, beginning England's third (and current) dynasty. They were Vikings before that, and I descend from Rollo, William "Longsword," and others. These men brutalized, raped, killed, burned, and sacked pretty much anything. They both established kingdoms across Europe, and fathered their own dynasties, each of which carried on the brutal tradition of feudalism and obtaining power through force.

For anyone watching the series "Vikings" currently on TV, it is *loosely* based on history. Rollo and Ragnar Lothbroc were not brothers in real life, nor were they even contemporaries. In any event, my 50-something great-grandfather (in other words, over 50 "greats") was Rollo, one of the main characters. The English King, Ecbert, was also my 50-something great grandfather on a different line, and the infant, Alfred, fathered in season three was also an ancestor of mine (in real history, he came to be known as "Alfred the Great" and is quite well known to all Brits). In the TV show, my English ancestors are depicted as fighting against my Viking ancestors, but once again, they were not contemporaries in real life.

Notice I haven't mentioned any "nice" people? It seems all my ancestors were brutish and evil, who took things by force. Heck, one of Rollo's wives -- the one from whom I descend -- was a captured by him and forced into marriage with him at sword point! My 50-something great-grandmother was a war trophy!

My linage was mostly pig farmers and soil tillers.

A few went to see the elephant but most stayed home and

worked the soil.

Correction: Your *recent* ancestors were farmers. Look how far back I've traced my ancestry -- you probably haven't done that much research, and probably don't know more than three or four generations back. I've gone over 50 generations back! There is so much for you to learn about yourself.

The difference between us and other animals, we can kill at long distance.

Archived