SASS Wire Forum

Brass front sites for pistols

Paladin Ralph

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blacked out my rear sights on my rugers with a sharpie. It wore off but I guess I can do it again. Wanted to serrate my front sight but never had the courage to clamp and file.

Im that way about taking my guns apart to clean the inter guts, hence I got a cheap sonic cleaner. Im a carpenter, not a mechanic.

Slick just showed once again that he is a class act on and off the range. His sites are clean, finished,LEGAL and ready to go. When you are ringing steel and enjoying them you won't remember what you paid. Slick is a big supported of SASS and matches all around the country.

Slick just showed once again that he is a class act on and off the range. His sites are clean, finished,LEGAL and ready to go. When you are ringing steel and enjoying them you won't remember what you paid. Slick is a big supported of SASS and matches all around the country.

Yes I know that, but what i am looking for is a different, but legal look.

Because of you I was able to cut some time off loading my SxS after I watched your video and I thank you for that. I have a 97 too, but cant use it because of shoulder problems. I cannot rack the slide forward from underneath, but can from on top, but that is hard to do with a fist full of shells. I could never understand how folks held a bunch of shells seperated between their fingers, but after watching your video, now I see I was trying to hold them the wrong way. Now if I can get enough strength to hold the gun up with my right arm, I can push the slide with my left thumb, then pull the trigger. Until then I will use my SxS. As an ES my arms dont gain and keep strength as well as they did when I was young, but age wont stop me from trying.

Paladin Ralph,

I've been reading/following all the post on this topic. Being the topic covers my product I usually don't ever comment on such. But seeing that your having difficulity trying to make your own, I have a cowboy offer for you. Give me your gun manufacture, caliber and address and I'll send you a pair of my "Sure Hit Sights" for your revolver. Install them per the instructions and if your not 100% happy with the end product simply let me know and the sights are yours for free. On the other hand If you see that your 100% happy with my product then send me the money to cover the sight cost at your convenience and I'll cover the shipping free.

Your Pal,

Slick McClade

Well Slick,

I got my Viquero's back from the gun slicker and found my front blades were not as thick as I remembered them, more like 1/16" rather than 1/8" thick. After more careful examination what I was going to do would be hard to keep them on and hard to see because of being narrow. A friend here has your sites which are the correct width for the rear sites, easier to see and will hold filler so I can raise one of the sites to the correct level. I will be ordering your sites shortly.

Thanks for your input.

Paladin Ralph

You won't regret your decision. I was anxiously awaiting a report on how you were going to cut and glue a piece of .006 thick brass to the back of an .080" wide sight blade.

I do not believe anyone has brass front sights for Blackhawks or brass covers to glue on for sale. A friend made me some solid brass replacement sights to replace the standard Ruger sights. I love em. Most if not all new model Blackhawks have pinned front sights so the replacement is straightforward.

We do offer a solid brass replacement front sight for the pin type Black Hawks. One thing I would recommend is turning the sight around where the slant is facing the muzzle. Sure makes it easier to see

I did not know that. Will they fit on older Blachawks like 3 screws and flat tops?

We do offer a solid brass replacement front sight for the pin type Black Hawks. One thing I would recommend is turning the sight around where the slant is facing the muzzle. Sure makes it easier to see

Yep. Got those from you for the wife Blackhawks. Knocked pin out. Slipped your solid brass sights in.

Knocked pin back in. DONE.

And yes. Turned them around.

I did not know that. Will they fit on older Blachawks like 3 screws and flat tops?

Not Slick but hope I can answer correctly. No, they won't fit. The sights he is referring to are pinned in from the factory. Yours are made solid with the sight base. You could machine the blades off, mill a pocket for the new blade and drill a pin hole. Common practice for many revolver smiths out there. Slick can do the complete job for you, but those are not a drop in product for our older guns.

Thanks Boggus , and yes your correct. Most of the stainless steal Black Hawks are pined from the factory. You can purchase a new sight base and replace the one you have and add the new brass sight.

Thanks for the information. My 3 screws and flat tops are back up guns, so I guess, painted sights will do for now. I sure like my brass front sights on new model Blackhawks tho.

You won't regret your decision. I was anxiously awaiting a report on how you were going to cut and glue a piece of .006 thick brass to the back of an .080" wide sight blade.

I only have one pair of Vaqueros and was remembering the front blades being wider than they actually are. If they were wider, my idea should have worked. To do what I thought of, I would have to shim out each side, no point in doing that when I can add Slick's sites. When I got them back and saw my front blades were nearly as thin as my Uberti 73 was when it was new, I knew my idea wouldnt work. I have ordered Slick's sites. Im never too old to learn.

I do not believe anyone has brass front sights for Blackhawks or brass covers to glue on for sale. A friend made me some solid brass replacement sights to replace the standard Ruger sights. I love em. Most if not all new model Blackhawks have pinned front sights so the replacement is straightforward.

You may be able to modify Slick's if they are larger than what you need.

I had my sights on my SAAs gold plated by Mose Spenser at EOT this year. It took me two year to have it done as they didn't make it last year. I'm going to take all my other sa guns to them this year to have done.itmakes the sights pop. I looked at the slip on last year and they almost trippled the width of the front sight. I didn't want to have to open the rear sights anymore. That's why it went with the permanent gold plating.

I had my sights on my SAAs gold plated by Mose Spenser at EOT this year. It took me two year to have it done as they didn't make it last year. I'm going to take all my other sa guns to them this year to have done.itmakes the sights pop. I looked at the slip on last year and they almost trippled the width of the front sight. I didn't want to have to open the rear sights anymore. That's why it went with the permanent gold plating.

My local pard set his Sure Shot Sites so when aimed center target, they are 1/8" over the top of the rear sites. I plan to do the same so these front sites will nearly fill the groove in the rear sites and by having them taller than the top I will be ale to quickly see if I need to adjust left or right and compensate. Its great to have pards that help you.

I really like Mose and Bella.

But gold plating is NOT permanent. They have done several pair for me.

And it does wear off. It does get dull in time. Even had them do my extractors on

my shotguns.

It can not be polished like the brass sights can. Because if you polish the gold

plating. It wears off.

But it is a good option if you don't want the sight thicker. But will have to be redone now

and then.

Personally. I WANTED my sights thicker. Another reason I liked Slick's sights.

The solid brass sights work well.

I would get a ruling on turning them around before I competed with them as this might be considered an external modification that is not in the Shooters Handbook.

Ace,

I could be wrong but I'm not sure the sights fall under the external mod. These sights are sass approved by the powers that be and maybe PW can chime in on this one.😉

Blackey,

Just for kicks and giggles the sight doesn't triple in size as you mentioned and you don't need to widen your rear sight either. My ruger rear sights are factory width and seem to be working really well. Each to his own on site preference ,that's the reason you have different choices. Moses and Bella are good people and I hope you enjoy your new

plated sights and they bring you many championships

Slick

Ace,

I could be wrong but I'm not sure the sights fall under the external mod. These sights are sass approved by the powers that be and maybe PW can chime in on this one.

That would be a LEGAL (listed) Modification.

(see below)

• The rear of adjustable sight revolver front sights may be reshaped (such as rounded).

SHB p.6

Paladin Ralph,

I've been reading/following all the post on this topic. Being the topic covers my product I usually don't ever comment on such. But seeing that your having difficulity trying to make your own, I have a cowboy offer for you. Give me your gun manufacture, caliber and address and I'll send you a pair of my "Sure Hit Sights" for your revolver. Install them per the instructions and if your not 100% happy with the end product simply let me know and the sights are yours for free. On the other hand If you see that your 100% happy with my product then send me the money to cover the sight cost at your convenience and I'll cover the shipping free.

Your Pal,

Slick McClade

Slick, I sent you a question on installation via PM and your web site. I am waiting for your answer.

Archived