SASS Wire Forum

Brass front sites for pistols

Paladin Ralph

I had an oportunity several weeks ago to shoot a pair of Vaqueros that had brass front sites and would like to do that to mine.

Someone mentioned they thought I could buy a slip on that glues in place. Does anyone know where can I get those kits? And do they make them for other pistols?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slick McClade sells them HERE

From there I found the sure hit sights web site and realized I shot with them in June when I visited my brothers family in St. Louis.

From there I found the sure hit sights web site and realized I shot with them in June when I visited my brothers family in St. Louis.

Yes you did. Gunsmith Frank and Miss Hittum, two Great Folks.

Yes you did. Gunsmith Frank and Miss Hittum, two Great Folks.

At the match they named my nephew, "Little Bill, Paint Sticks", because he is Bill Jr and we put paint sticks in his back pockets so his holsters wouldn't fall down. I had seen my pard, Tuff Willy, do that here, until he got suspenders. The rig I borrowed for my nephew didn't have suspenders and I didnt know he needed them until I got there.

Also, I got to meet Tanga Loca and Alamo who are friends from facebook. Tanga took a selfie of us and its on our FB pages.

Have them on every SASS pistol we own.

I have written to them to see if they make them for other guns, like my wife's Ruger 357 LCR, which as we age, she is having some trouble seeing the front site.

Slick has a fine product.

But the "do it myself" in me had to go to the local hardware store, pick up some brass shim stock and expoy.

Lightfoot

That is a good idea, but how did you get the 2 - 90 degree bends on the rear of the blade? I am familar with braking aluminum, but that is 3/4" increments

Maybe I could find some bar stock that is the thichness of the blade, put if in a vise and bend the shim stock to that shape, after I cut it close to the size. Then after I glue it trim it with my Demeral tool. Or maybe put the gon between 2 pieces of wood in the vise and bend it to fit, pull it off and then epoxy it.

That is a good idea, but how did you get the 2 - 90 degree bends on the rear of the blade? I am familar with braking aluminum, but that is 3/4" increments

Maybe I could find some bar stock that is the thichness of the blade, put if in a vise and bend the shim stock to that shape, after I cut it close to the size. Then after I glue it trim it with my Demeral tool. Or maybe put the gon between 2 pieces of wood in the vise and bend it to fit, pull it off and then epoxy it.

this is close to the process I used. Yes you will need to find a bar stock the correct size to create the bends.

I epoxied the "close to size" onto the sight, then used a file to shape the brass.

this is close to the process I used. Yes you will need to find a bar stock the correct size to create the bends.

I epoxied the "close to size" onto the sight, then used a file to shape the brass.

How well does the epoxy hold? Maybe I could just put a thin strip up the back and across the top of the blade, then file the edges. In the site picture you only see the back top corner. That would solve a lot of problems I foresee when I do my wife's Rugar LCR, with its stepped front site.

I believe Slicks sites come with a small bottle of green loc-tite, which would be appropriate for this application. Remember to rough up the sight a little before you glue them on and take your time filing them down. I would recommend NOT using a dremel as it can be a bit too aggressive. a simple set of needle files will get you close then backed, increasingly finer grits of sandpaper will finish it up. finalize with an nice polish with a stone and you're done. Make sure to mask off the barrel before you do any work, just to make sure you don't mess up the finish.

Concerning the mounting of a piece of brass just on the rear and top of the blade front sight, I think you will find it won't provide enough purchase for the glue and the brass piece will eventually fall off.

When installing Slicks sights, throw the directions in the package in the garbage and follow the instructions on the video on his website. You will be much happier with the end result.

I believe Slicks sites come with a small bottle of green loc-tite, which would be appropriate for this application. Remember to rough up the sight a little before you glue them on and take your time filing them down. I would recommend NOT using a dremel as it can be a bit too aggressive. a simple set of needle files will get you close then backed, increasingly finer grits of sandpaper will finish it up. finalize with an nice polish with a stone and you're done. Make sure to mask off the barrel before you do any work, just to make sure you don't mess up the finish.

Concerning the mounting of a piece of brass just on the rear and top of the blade front sight, I think you will find it won't provide enough purchase for the glue and the brass piece will eventually fall off.

Yes I watched his video on how to install it. Good point on the single piece, Ill give it a whirl and when it falls off redo it Sicks way. Then for my wife's LCR I will have to make a releif cut at each change in ramp site and bend the tabs over.

Im a carpenter and dont do much with metal but have some knowledge of working with softer metals and plastic.

Yes I watched his video on how to install it. Good point on the single piece, Ill give it a whirl and when it falls off redo it Sicks way. Then for my wife's LCR I will have to make a releif cut at each change in ramp site and bend the tabs over.

Im a carpenter and dont do much with metal but have some knowledge of working with softer metals and plastic.

Keep us informed on how well your sight works out, you may be leading the way to a new product!

As for me, the pistols I picked up recently are getting their front sights plated with brass. It will be interesting to see how well it stands up to use, but since reapplying is so easy I don't mind re-plating them when it's time... heck, I might even switch to gold once I get some engraving done on them.

Keep us informed on how well your sight works out, you may be leading the way to a new product!

As for me, the pistols I picked up recently are getting their front sights plated with brass. It will be interesting to see how well it stands up to use, but since reapplying is so easy I don't mind re-plating them when it's time... heck, I might even switch to gold once I get some engraving done on them.

Plated works. Had mine done many years ago. Worked good. BUT. You can not polish them.

It does wear off. And gets dull.

One reason I like the brass sights.

Not only does it make them bigger. Which I needed badly with my old bad eyes.

But I can polish them to a really nice bright shine that really picks up the light.

Make it much faster to pick up.

Again. Plated is better than stock.

But for me. Not anywhere close to as good as the brass

you can polish and keep nice and bright.

I will keep you posted once my guns come back from the action job. I sent them off just over 2 months ago and dont have them back yet.

Plated works. Had mine done many years ago. Worked good. BUT. You can not polish them.

It does wear off. And gets dull.

One reason I like the brass sights.

Not only does it make them bigger. Which I needed badly with my old bad eyes.

But I can polish them to a really nice bright shine that really picks up the light.

Make it much faster to pick up.

Again. Plated is better than stock.

But for me. Not anywhere close to as good as the brass

you can polish and keep nice and bright.

I like brass, one of the reasons I shoot a yellowboy. I hear your old eyes, Im an Elderstatesman. I have found the brass is much easier to see when the paint wears off the targets. Im planing to get a pair of New Vaqueros for back up and to start my grandsons on and had eliminated stainless, until I shot a pair with brass front sites.

Yep, I may be developing a new product but dont want too much glare and gleam on the front sites, hence the strip.

I first put gold fingernail polish on mine but it wears off. I finally broke down and spent the money and put a pair of Slick's on my Ruger 357s and can't believe how well it works. They are $75 per pair everything included. That is $37 per pistol and a real bargain and peace of mind. Just do it and quit worrying about it. Irish Pat

This is what I put on my LCR, drive out the existing pin, replace with new sight, replace the pin. 10 min job, shows up well in both sunlight and at night.

Where did you get the new site? Is it brass in color or a contrasting color to black?

I first put gold fingernail polish on mine but it wears off. I finally broke down and spent the money and put a pair of Slick's on my Ruger 357s and can't believe how well it works. They are $75 per pair everything included. That is $37 per pistol and a real bargain and peace of mind. Just do it and quit worrying about it. Irish Pat

Im gonna try Lightfoots method, but with a single strip and epoxy, but appreciate all ideas.

Like Lightfoot, Im a do-it-yourselfer. That's how I got into the gun cart business, along with doing wood working for over 60 years. I get an idea and I go make it and brass shim stock should not be too hard to do. Im even kicking around some ideas to pin it as a back up to the epoxy which comes in lots of forms and for different materials. I have even used epoxy putty to fix holes in nail guns.

Thanks, does that dot glow in the dark? I have a 9mm Sig that does.

Another thought I had for my Vaqueros front sites was to grind down the top rear corner of the front blade to hold a brass BB. I thought about brazing it to the blade but am concerned that it may take the temper out of the barrel. Since I dont know enough about how a barrel is made and dont have a torch hot enough to braze. If I go this way, will likely epoxy the BB on. I am a little concerned with grinding the site down as my only way to measure the depth of the cut is with my bullet length micrometer from HF and my grinder will be a free hand demeral tool.

I mentioned that to the gunsmith that has my guns now to take the transfer bars out and do an action job, but sites arent his bal-a-wick. So I will do it myself.

You know that BIG screwdriver you get with every set of screwdrivers but can never find a screw big enough to use? Lay your shim stock on a lead ingot, take that big screwdriver whose blade is about the same thickness as the front sight blade, place it on the shim stock and hit it hard. The blade will drive the shim stock into the lead and give you some pretty decent square corners. Now to find some green loctite.

Noz, thats a great idea. I have been doing woodworking for over 60 years and have lot of squares I could use for the same thing, just have to decide which one. Do you know where I can get brass BB's in various sizes?

Another thought I had for my Vaqueros front sites was to grind down the top rear corner of the front blade to hold a brass BB. I thought about brazing it to the blade but am concerned that it may take the temper out of the barrel. Since I dont know enough about how a barrel is made and dont have a torch hot enough to braze. If I go this way, will likely epoxy the BB on. I am a little concerned with grinding the site down as my only way to measure the depth of the cut is with my bullet length micrometer from HF and my grinder will be a free hand demeral tool.

I mentioned that to the gunsmith that has my guns now to take the transfer bars out and do an action job, but sites arent his bal-a-wick. So I will do it myself.

You should double check with PWB and the ROC before you start grinding on your front sight. If I understand what you are attempting it would be considered a beaded post or insert and for revolvers they are not legal.

SHB pg 6 "Beaded post front sights or inserts are not allowed."

Archived