SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Here Roast your own Coffee?

guitar_slinger

Any of you pards roast your own coffee?

What's a good home roaster and method?

I love coffee, would like to give roasting my own a try but have absolutely no idea where to start.

Suggestions?

GS

The Eritreans at church roast it in a dry black iron pan on the stove.
Very hot pan - a drop of water should dance, not sit and sizzle. Put the green coffee in. Keep it moving some so it doesn't just burn on one side. The beans will slowly darken from green to yellow to light brown.

After maybe 5 minutes you will hear some cracking. Called the "first crack." Gives you a light roast and the coffee is usable.

If you keep going the beans will get darker and after another 3 to 5 minutes you will hear a quieter "second crack." If you keep going much past this you will have charcoal.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The beans will continue to cook a bit after you dump them from the pan, so go a bit lighter than you think you want.

Dump the beans into a clean colander for cooling and to shake off the chaff.

Then there is the hot air popcorn popper:

The Eritreans at church roast it in a dry black iron pan on the stove.

Very hot pan - a drop of water should dance, not sit and sizzle. Put the green coffee in. Keep it moving some so it doesn't just burn on one side. The beans will slowly darken from green to yellow to light brown.

After maybe 5 minutes you will hear some cracking. Called the "first crack." Gives you a light roast and the coffee is usable.

If you keep going the beans will get darker and after another 3 to 5 minutes you will hear a quieter "second crack." If you keep going much past this you will have charcoal.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The beans will continue to cook a bit after you dump them from the pan, so go a bit lighter than you think you want.

Dump the beans into a clean colander for cooling and to shake off the chaff.

Then there is the hot air popcorn popper:

I tried it once using the pan on stove meathod just to try it and did it this way. Started with good quality green beans and ended with a decent cup of coffee. Worth trying once to me, I buy pre roasted whole beans.

I have roasted my own for about 5 years now,I use a gene cafe roaster. And buy my beans online from Burmans coffee.It is a lot of fun and tastes so much better .There is a learning curve but there is also a ton of online information. It is much cheaper in the long run.

Archived