SASS Wire Forum

It's time to have it out once and for all

Shooting Bull

Some of you have seen me at various matches dressed up as Mongo from Blazing Saddles. Every time I wear that costume I and many MANY other shooters have a great time joking around about it. But I'm giving serious consideration to moth balling Mongo due to all the flack I catch because the shirt doesn't have long sleeves. Shoot, it doesn't have ANY sleeves. I was told rules officials had decided that my shirt with no sleeves wasn't a shirt but rather a vest, therefor legal.

Another aspect of the ruling I was told about was handcuffs. I found an antique set of handcuffs with a long chain attached to them. I wear these around my neck with the Mongo costume but take the off when I'm shooting because I don't want all that heavy steel flying around my face and neck while I'm shooting. The rule is that Mongo is legal because he's a well known character from a western movie. But if I invoke that rule I'm told I have to wear the ENTIRE costume, including the handcuffs. No! I refuse. It's unsafe and besides, they weren't even part of the movie. The only scene in the movie that involved chains was the jail scene where he was chained to the jail cell. No handcuffs.

I want to keep Mongo alive but I'm sick and tired of having to deal with this crap at almost every match I go to. Please give your thoughts on the subject and let's get this settled once and for all.

And just to be clear, no match officials have ever given me a hard time about the costume other than to say complaints have been made. It's always other shooters that have had problems with it.

I was looking forward to seeing your character some day. To the people who complain - GET A LIFE - IJAFG

If you really want to look the part, including the chains........ drop by Lowes or Home Depot and buy a few feet of PLASTIC chain! Painted black then scuffed up a bit, it will pass for the real thing!

But like others have mentioned, to heck with the others who are jealous about your costume that rather than come up with something clever themselves, they bitch to anyone who will listen (under their breath of course).

It's the narrow minded pin headed shooters who are going to be the downfall of this hobby!

Isn't it amazing!!!??

As to the chains and hand cuffs, I can see they would be a potential safety hazard for you.

And if we cannot even bend down to pick up a cartridge safely from a table, heaven forbid that you would wear a chain!!! :D

And yes, those folks gave us the rule about a dropped round - and the mixing of procedures and misses, and a few other rules like that - many of which have come and gone.

Lions and tigers and bears! Oh My!

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, prolly won't be the last ......... however, I can't locate a passage in "The Book" that specifically states that

one "must" wear a shirt. "If" you wear a shirt, it must be long sleeve. Much like, there is no specific rule that states you "must" wear a hat. Don't have

to wear a hat. Hot Brass makes a hat kinda helpful though.

My take (from one who wears a bowler with goggles and feathers) is Mongo is perfectly legal. Locally, we have a shooter who shows up in Moccasins,

Leather Breach Cloth and Head Dress. Since he is also 5 feet 20 inches tall, nobody gonna tell him ta go home. :)

Philly/Shooting Bull

When I requested a ruling on this a few years ago, I gave you a print out and told you to carry it with you in your gun cart.

You never listen to your elders do you? :)

I have long since deleted that particular ruling but maybe Palewolf has a copy he will send you.

ACE

If bibs, barefeet and NO shirt are legal, then I think Mongo be legal.

Ha....no one would ever dress like that ;):lol: Don't worry about it Shooting Bull, it may drive your competition crrrazzy :wacko: Just hand them a Candygram and keep shooting :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Some of you have seen me at various matches dressed up as Mongo from Blazing Saddles. Every time I wear that costume I and many MANY other shooters have a great time joking around about it. But I'm giving serious consideration to moth balling Mongo due to all the flack I catch because the shirt doesn't have long sleeves. Shoot, it doesn't have ANY sleeves. I was told rules officials had decided that my shirt with no sleeves wasn't a shirt but rather a vest, therefor legal.

Another aspect of the ruling I was told about was handcuffs. I found an antique set of handcuffs with a long chain attached to them. I wear these around my neck with the Mongo costume but take the off when I'm shooting because I don't want all that heavy steel flying around my face and neck while I'm shooting. The rule is that Mongo is legal because he's a well known character from a western movie. But if I invoke that rule I'm told I have to wear the ENTIRE costume, including the handcuffs. No! I refuse. It's unsafe and besides, they weren't even part of the movie. The only scene in the movie that involved chains was the jail scene where he was chained to the jail cell. No handcuffs.

I want to keep Mongo alive but I'm sick and tired of having to deal with this crap at almost every match I go to. Please give your thoughts on the subject and let's get this settled once and for all.

And just to be clear, no match officials have ever given me a hard time about the costume other than to say complaints have been made. It's always other shooters that have had problems with it.

Tell them to got to hell and get a life, if you were at my club, I would find it rather amusing. I see nothing wrong with your outfit.

Love the costume. Take the chains off when you shoot. Remind the complainers that Mongo (or Roy Rogers for that matter) didn't wear eye or ear protection. Safety first.

SB (Mongo),

Want a membership in LIGAC (like I give a crap). I have open enrollment on, now thru Thanksgiving. You can show the "Mongo costume detractors" your card, and just move on to the firing line.

Capt RHK

I was looking forward to seeing your character some day. To the people who complain - GET A LIFE - IJAFG

+100

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, prolly won't be the last ......... however, I can't locate a passage in "The Book" that specifically states that

one "must" wear a shirt. "If" you wear a shirt, it must be long sleeve. Much like, there is no specific rule that states you "must" wear a hat. Don't have

to wear a hat. Hot Brass makes a hat kinda helpful though.

My take (from one who wears a bowler with goggles and feathers) is Mongo is perfectly legal. Locally, we have a shooter who shows up in Moccasins,

Leather Breach Cloth and Head Dress. Since he is also 5 feet 20 inches tall, nobody gonna tell him ta go home. :)

Yep, tell them to get out their copy of the rules and show you where it says you are not legal.

Tell them to got to hell and get a life, if you were at my club, I would find it rather amusing. I see nothing wrong with your outfit.

You would be welcome everywhere I shoot.

You looked pretty authentic to me.

Just attach a piece of mistletoe to your shirt tail and ignore them completely!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:B)

Call Gunzilla and discuss costuming with him.

Come shoot with us. Guaranteed no flack.

I happen to be pretty tight with Nevada State Match Director - I have heard there is no issue with Mongo.

I love that folks that go on and on about "this is a fantasy shooting game", "I come here to relive my youth of playing cowboys and indians" and then want to thread count/ sequin count/ equipment count this game to death.

The American West is a beloved symbol of rugged individualism because folks marched to their own drummers and stood their ground.

If we are truly intending to carry on the legacy of the lone cowboy standing up for what is right - We need to do the same.

If it looks cowboy - it IS cowboy.

It is time for the above to become our mantra.

Mongo, you are sooooo illegal those women aren't even fainting.

OH brother.

I guess most folks don't know who Mongo is. Thus, all the problems.

Anyone who hasn't watched Blazing Saddles at least 5 times (certain campfire scenes more than that :huh:) shouldn't be allowed to shoot SASS to being with! :D

Archived