SASS Wire Forum

Rainbows, Unicorns, and Citations from the Cops

Only in Concord, MA, could this happen....

Concord, where it is illegal to sell water in plastic bottles....

Now, the cops give out citations, redeemable for....ice cream cones.......

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/10/18/massachusetts-town-issues-citations-for-good-behavior/VXRnPgcyosZwbHDDQK0GpN/story.html

Kumbaya!!!!!

LL

Wait till the healthy eating crowd get a hold of this..............

I applaud what appear to be their reasoning. LEOs have taken a really bad rap lately and they want to improve their image. I do believe there are other things they can do besides hand out ice cream vouchers.

St Louis County departments have started "Coffee with A Cop" in order to connect more one on one with the community. It seems t be working, even though the murder rate in 2015 has surpassed 2014 already*. The anger and animosity seem to have diminished.

* The increase in homicides is primarily attributed to the explosion in heroin addiction in the area. Petty crime has also increased. Addicts looking for ways to get fast cash to support their habit.

Kris:

Concord is Beaver Cleaver land....there hasn't been a murder there in over 10 years; I don't fault them for trying to make nice...but they really don't have a public relations problem to begin with. It's just that it makes policing seem so....cute. ;)

LL

Kris:

Concord is Beaver Cleaver land....there hasn't been a murder there in over 10 years; I don't fault them for trying to make nice...but they really don't have a public relations problem to begin with. It's just that it makes policing seem so....cute. ;)

LL

Ah I see. A solution to a non-existent problem.

My department tried this about 20 years ago, a few years before I came on (although they didn't give away ice cream, just written "good driving behavior" certificates). Apparently it was a disaster, and also a liability waiting to happen. People did not take kindly to being pulled over for doing the right thing, and complained loudly about it.

Plus, let's say an officer sees Johnny Q. Citizen do a good thing, and goes to pull him over to give him the ice cream coupon. The only problem is, Johnny Q. Citizen happens to be a thug with a warrant, and would rather kill than go back to jail. He has no idea he's being given an ice cream coupon; he just knows a cop is pulling him over. A gunfight ensues. Either the cop dies and the criminal gets away, or the cop kills Johnny Q. Citizen while defending his own life. Either way, it's a tragedy, and Citizen's estate will sue the police department because their officer initiated a traffic stop with no probable cause or "reasonable articulable suspicion" that a crime had occurred or was about to occur.

We risk our lives looking for people like Johnny Q. Citizen everyday, but there are legal requirements that must be met before we can scoop him up. Without having met those requirements, we're putting ourselves, our department, and our financial well-being in severe jeopardy.

So, NOPE!

I'm driving on my merry way to work and an officer pulls me over for "good driving" and to give me an ice cream coupon...

First, he just made my pulse race wondering what the &*^! I did wrong.

Second, he just made me potentially late for work.

Third, I'm wondering why my taxes aren't being better spent finding a bad guy to keep my community safe.

I understand thinking outside the box to find ways to build community relations, but this idea needs to stay inside the box and never see the light of day.

That's scary. This showed up on another board, couple of months back, and that's pretty much what I said.

Me and Cyrus thinking alike.

Does that mean the end is near?

Archived