SASS Wire Forum

3/4 oz shotshell loads

Swift Stoney 49735

Just curious if anyone else is loading 3/4 oz 12 ga shotgun shells? Kid Nama and I have been shooting them for a couple of years with good results. With the cost of shotshell reloading components there is not much of a cost savings reloading your own but we enjoy the light recoil and the corresponding speed at which we are able to reload our 97s.

Yes, Missus Tyrel hasn't shot a match just yet but I have been loading some 3/4oz shells for her with 700X powder. She likes the lighter recoil too.

Was loading 3/4oz BP shells for my son but he likes my 7/8 BP loads better and we now shoot the same.

I have had very good luck with 12 ga 3/4 to 7/8 oz loads in both smokeless and APP. Why put in more powder and lead than needed to get the job done?

I have seen a shooter or two though that has taken light loads to the extreme. Last time they were VERY unhappy that a couple of the shotgun KDs would not go down even though they were solidly hit. Those of us shooting more realistic (3/4 oz and at least 1000 fps ) loads were not having any trouble though.

I load them frequently and use them for practice to save money on shot. My daughters like them for the lower recoil. I use a 20 gauge over powder wad in the shot cup of a 7/8 oz wad so it crimps correctly.

My BP practice load is 3/4 oz reclaimed lead with = amount of grain weight of 2F KIK, fill the void above the lead with cat litter. Good crimp in Win AA Grays.

Plenty of power for KDs.

Just sayin,

AR

Kitty litter. Now there's a thought. Might wear out the barrel after a time, but...... Hey....I might try that on squirrels.

Kitty litter. Now there's a thought. Might wear out the barrel after a time, but...... Hey....I might try that on squirrels.

Rock salt. Did you never have any fun as a kid...??? Why, if you ain't been shot in the butt with rock salt... you musta been sittin' at home studyin' all the time!

I reload 3/4 oz of shot and make a box for $4.50 including a $0.01 hull allowance. After my unofficial testing, below, that hull allowance should be $0.005 and lower when I start to making stubbies out of the split ones..

A few days ago I posted my unofficial times fired test shooting 12 ga HULLS, 2 ¾” fired until the crimp wouldn’t hold shot any more. Load was low recoil with ¾ oz 7.5 shot in a CBO175 wad shot at <1,000 FPS. I tested Nitros, STS, RIO's and Win AA's and they all went to 18 times fired. Using info from BPI my next test will be to cut the hulls off shorter, 3/8" to 1/2" each cut, eventually down to 1 1/2" to see what the max number if firings I can get, when I have time.

I've been loading 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads for Paniolo Anne and myself for a couple years now and I also use 700X.

Here's what I do for practice and monthly matches: I have a bunch of plastic 12 gauge wads of various sizes I'm using up simply to get rid of them. I'm also using a variety of Winchester AA hulls, again, to get them used up and many of them are old and won't crimp well. I use 28 gauge cardboard wads in the bottom of the plastic wad, then the 3/4 oz load of shot, then a small piece of cardboard (about the thickness of a playing card) on top of the shot. After the crimp (and some of the older hulls won't crimp well), the top cardboard keeps the shot from falling out. Sometimes I need to put a dab of white carpenters glue in the center of the crimp to keep the crimp from opening up.

For major matches, we use store bought shotshells using the lightest load we can find.

Haole

I have a 1" hole punch I got from Hobby Lobby and punch my overshot cards from adding maching paper. After I drop my shot, I put my paper on top of the wad holder, pull the lever down just enough to push the paper into the end of the hull, then move it to the precrimp die. No shot falls out.

Broke my neck in 1999. I shoot 3/4-7/8 for nearly everything including trap, skeet and sporting. 700X and CB0175. Then added a Bumpbuster recoil pad, too on almost everything now. Still need to send it to Ken Rucker for my 3 Gun Beretta. Best money ever spent on a shotgun.

For the record, not that it matters much anymore, but I'm clean on all clays/ poppers in SASS since I started in 2006. Ya know, back in the old days when shooters used to like unique stage presentations.

If we ever start shooting s/g's at over 30 yards then may go to 1 oz. loads.....maybe....

yep,sure do using Clays...well,when I could still find it...and 3/4 oz wads. The old shoulder appreciates it.

When I ran outa Clays a pard told me I could use Alliant Clay Dot with the same load and it does work, no problems.

I load 5/8 oz shot in my 16 gauge shells that have been cut down. Until I started cutting the hulls I always had ejection problems on all of my 97's. I now use a hull that is 3/16 shorter and since I've been doing that I've had no ejection issues. I built a sliding fixture for my bandsaw that makes it very easy and quick to shorten the hulls and then I use a BP skiver in the drill press to skive the hulls.

I load 5/8 oz shot in my 16 gauge shells that have been cut down. Until I started cutting the hulls I always had ejection problems on all of my 97's. I now use a hull that is 3/16 shorter and since I've been doing that I've had no ejection issues. I built a sliding fixture for my bandsaw that makes it very easy and quick to shorten the hulls and then I use a BP skiver in the drill press to skive the hulls.

I plan on doing that when my hulls start wont crimp well after 18-24 loadings. Cut the crimp off and reload them down to 1 1/2" long when finished. BPI has the data for this, but they dont suggest this, I imagine so they can sell more hulls. I am thrifty with my components. I am reloading new, once fired AA's, Nitros, RIO's and STS, do they need skived? I havent bought a skiver yet, but have a drill press that I use to cut the crimp out of 5.56.

I plan on doing that when my hulls start wont crimp well after 18-24 loadings. Cut the crimp off and reload them down to 1 1/2" long when finished. BPI has the data for this, but they dont suggest this, I imagine so they can sell more hulls. I am thrifty with my components. I am reloading new, once fired AA's, Nitros, RIO's and STS, do they need skived? I havent bought a skiver yet, but have a drill press that I use to cut the crimp out of 5.56.

PR

If you go the your local Skeet field you can pick up tons of Remington Gun Club hulls for free. They will load and shuck out of a SXS with out any problem and you don't have to go to all the trouble of cutting and skiving. All I use is Rem. Gun Clubs and never had a problem.

Also AA's, RIO and STS all use a different wad for best performance, check your loading book.

NCD

PR

If you go the your local Skeet field you can pick up tons of Remington Gun Club hulls for free. They will load and shuck out of a SXS with out any problem and you don't have to go to all the trouble of cutting and skiving. All I use is Rem. Gun Clubs and never had a problem.

Also AA's, RIO and STS all use a different wad for best performance, check your loading book.

NCD

This year I've had the steel heads pull off of new, Gun Club hulls. Three came off from a box of 25 shells so I don't trust them for a major match. I do use them at local matches and practice. They do shuck well from a SxS when the heads stay attached.

16 gauge hulls are pretty scarce compared to 12 gauge. When I place my 16 gauge Herters or Federal hulls next to 12 gauge hulls the 16 gauge are just a tad longer. I've been fighting ejection issues for years with the purple hulls but not the black Remington's, they are a little bit shorter. So I built the trimmer and since I've been loading the shorter shells they don't hang up on ejection from any of my 97's now. It's a little bit of work but when I'm working out in the shop I'll do 50 size, cut and skive in about 15 minutes and I fit in about 4 sessions of that throughout the day. I have a BPI hull trimmer but it's much slower compared to the band saw method. A pard that I shot with gave me thousands of purple hulls and I had two garbage cans full so I'll be set with 16 gauge hulls for a long long time.

PR

NCD

No one shoots gun club at my range witch is set up with 5 skeet and trap ranges and one sporting clays, they all shoot RIO, STS and Nitros. I dont mind reloading, I enjoy it as much as the shooting.

16 gauge hulls are pretty scarce compared to 12 gauge. When I place my 16 gauge Herters or Federal hulls next to 12 gauge hulls the 16 gauge are just a tad longer. I've been fighting ejection issues for years with the purple hulls but not the black Remington's, they are a little bit shorter. So I built the trimmer and since I've been loading the shorter shells they don't hang up on ejection from any of my 97's now. It's a little bit of work but when I'm working out in the shop I'll do 50 size, cut and skive in about 15 minutes and I fit in about 4 sessions of that throughout the day. I have a BPI hull trimmer but it's much slower compared to the band saw method. A pard that I shot with gave me thousands of purple hulls and I had two garbage cans full so I'll be set with 16 gauge hulls for a long long time.

I bought one of those BPI trimmers too, but much prefer the little $30, 2" chop saw I got at HF. A friend who makes his own 300 blackout from 223 brass told me about it. Works great. Thats a lot of hulls.

No one shoots gun club at my range witch is set up with 5 skeet and trap ranges and one sporting clays, they all shoot RIO, STS and Nitros. I dont mind reloading, I enjoy it as much as the shooting.

Our local gun store occasionally has Gun Clubs on sale for $6 a box so once fired hulls are all over the place around here. I know what you mean about reloading. I find it relaxing to punch out a few cases of shells in an evening. At about 10pm I go to my reloading room and put the radio on 740am. During the week they play two half hour old radio shows. Last week it was Suspense and then Duffy’s Tavern. What ever floats you boat.

I bought one of those BPI trimmers too, but much prefer the little $30, 2" chop saw I got at HF. A friend who makes his own 300 blackout from 223 brass told me about it. Works great. Thats a lot of hulls.

Our local gun store occasionally has Gun Clubs on sale for $6 a box so once fired hulls are all over the place around here. I know what you mean about reloading. I find it relaxing to punch out a few cases of shells in an evening. At about 10pm I go to my reloading room and put the radio on 740am. During the week they play two half hour old radio shows. Last week it was Suspense and then Duffy’s Tavern. What ever floats you boat.

It cost me about $4.25 a box to reload. I load light because of my the new stainless steel shoulder I got 2 years age. My reloads are lighter than the Win Low Recoil loads but just as loud. I have been doing a bunch of testing because I want to try trap and skeet. I can use my cowboy loads for skeet, but need more FPS for trap. From my testing my shoulder can tollorate 1180 FPS. So when I finalize my loads I will give it a try. Testing another batch in the morning.

It cost me about $4.25 a box to reload. I load light because of my the new stainless steel shoulder I got 2 years age. My reloads are lighter than the Win Low Recoil loads but just as loud. I have been doing a bunch of testing because I want to try trap and skeet. I can use my cowboy loads for skeet, but need more FPS for trap. From my testing my shoulder can tollorate 1180 FPS. So when I finalize my loads I will give it a try. Testing another batch in the morning.

I shoot a lot of Skeet and if you are looking for something soft on your shoulder you might want to look into a semi-auto. Something like a Benelli Super Black Eagle or a Remington 1100/1187. With a one ounce load either will be very nice to you shoulder and are very good guns for Skeet.

I shoot a lot of Skeet and if you are looking for something soft on your shoulder you might want to look into a semi-auto. Something like a Benelli Super Black Eagle or a Remington 1100/1187. With a one ounce load either will be very nice to you shoulder and are very good guns for Skeet.

Thanks, I will check them out. One of the guys has a Berretta with a spring loaded stock that looks interesting too.

How far do you lead them say at the top of the arch or furtherest? I would think, depending on the location on the arch that will change, like when you are by the house with no lead because of the angle. I thought about caculating the FPS and distace, but its easier to ask.

This morning I am going to pattern some shot guns to see what my chokes are, now that I read the correct way to do it at 40 yards. I plan to start using my coach gun until I get some experiance then start shopping. I have 3 pumps but my other shoulder wont let me work the action correctly and I cant rack them fast enough. One has a full choke so I may use it for trap. I have no plans to compete, just doing it for fun because Ive never tried it.

Archived