SASS Wire Forum

Ruger ARX ammo (video added)

I wondered how they would react when shot at steel targets. Would they damage our targets even those not made of AR steel? Would the bullet disintegrate similar to how our lead bullets do or would they break into large chunks and become a hazard?

Personally I believe that all bullet advertising is gimmicky to some extent.

Very few have actual real world fully documented test results made available to the general public. Shooting a piece of ballistic gelatin is not the same as shooting through clothing, flesh, and, bone. Sheet metal, glass, drywall, and other materials often have a negative impact on bullet performance so those tests are seldom done.

Shooting a southern whitetail is not the same as shooting a mule deer. Coyotes are not the same as hogs. Yet bullet and ammo manufacturers have plenty of praise for the ammo they sell as being the best their is.

Barrel length and type of action creates variables in muzzle velocity that will also impact performance

I wondered how they would react when shot at steel targets. Would they damage our targets even those not made of AR steel? Would the bullet disintegrate similar to how our lead bullets do or would they break into large chunks and become a hazard?

Personally I believe that all bullet advertising is gimmicky to some extent.

Very few have actual real world fully documented test results made available to the general public. Shooting a piece of ballistic gelatin is not the same as shooting through clothing, flesh, and, bone. Sheet metal, glass, drywall, and other materials often have a negative impact on bullet performance so those tests are seldom done.

Shooting a southern whitetail is not the same as shooting a mule deer. Coyotes are not the same as hogs. Yet bullet and ammo manufacturers have plenty of praise for the ammo they sell as being the best their is.

Barrel length and type of action creates variables in muzzle velocity that will also impact performance

Yeah, wasn't thinking this kinda thing for SASS. Just saw it on the Ruger website and decided to share the info.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah, wasn't thinking this kinda thing for SASS. Just saw it on the Ruger website and decided to share the info.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Some of what I read stated that the rounds were prone to disintegration when striking hard objects.

As lead ammo is coming under attack in a couple of states and all other lead substitutes are unsuitable for SASS.

I guess Alpo is rubbing off on me. :P:D:lol: .

There is a argument about the effectiveness of "temporary wound channel" producing ammunition. The permanent wound channel in the ballistic gel looks to be about 9 mm.

Years ago the FBI declared the 158-grain .357 Mag to be a 95% one-shot stopper with the 185-grain .45 ACP around 90%, and everything else quite a bit back. Gimmicky light velocitor loads wee out in the 1970s and did not score well.

Enough said for me.

not defending it but thinking out loud, since they are so light, they'd allow a faster followup shot that is more likely to hit the target than full loads would, especially for a weaker shooter. my wife might shoot more perhaps. On second thought, my wife shooting a faster followup might nt be good for me. :-)

Just a thought , most likely incorrect

Would you NOT , want the peddles opposing the direction of rotation , due to the spin of the rifiling ?

for a better energy dump , as opposed to drilling into the target

NO , I ain't stayed at no motels , fer a spell ever

Chickasaw :lol:

Archived