SASS Wire Forum

Krauthammer: Another massacre, another charade

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/4595838-181/krauthammer-another-massacre-another-charade?page=1

The problem is that these mass-murder cases are fairly unusual. Take Roseburg. That young man had no criminal history, no psychiatric diagnosis beyond Asperger’s, no involvement in public disturbances. How do you find, let alone lock up, someone like that?

There are 320 million Americans. Schizophrenia affects about 1 percent of the population. That’s about 3 million people. Only a tiny fraction are ever violent — and predicting which ones will be is almost impossible.

Loner, socially isolated, often immersed in a fantasy world of violent video games. There are myriad such young men out there, but with different ages of onset, in different stages of derangement. Only a handful will ever harm anyone. What to do? Forcibly apprehend them, treat them, put them on perpetual preventive parole? By the tens of thousands?

Committing the Jared Loughners would have an effect. But even they are the exception among the shooters. Yet “commonsense” gun control would do even less. Unless you’re willing to go all the way.

In the final quarter of his presidency, Obama can very well say what he wants. If he believes in Australian-style confiscation — i.e., abolishing the Second Amendment — why not spell it out? Until he does, he should stop demonizing people for not doing what he won’t even propose.

The practical problem with confiscation is the cost. Since one could argue confiscation is the taking of private property for public use, it would require just compensation. That cost would be in the neighborhood of $150 trillion. Yep, trillion. Figure 310 million guns with an average value of $450-$500. I said average, I know we all own firearms worth much more than that.

Archived