SASS Wire Forum

Clays on the shelf

Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L

I found an 8lb jug today. Price was less than $20.00 per lb. I should be set for awhile. I looked for 1 lb cans but didn't see any. Better buy now cause you never know what will happen tomorrow. Glad it finally is showing up.

found 1 and 4 lb containers in north Dakota last week. maybe the dam finally broke GW

I found an 8lb jug today. Price was less than $20.00 per lb. I should be set for awhile. I looked for 1 lb cans but didn't see any. Better buy now cause you never know what will happen tomorrow. Glad it finally is showing up.

Clays? You can't use that in those Cap & Balls. LOL

Take a close look at that jug of Clays. You might notice its no longer made in Australia but is now made in Canada. I think Hodgdon is in full production up there.

Powder seems to be a plenty here in Pa.,, Local gun shop had shelves full of Trail Boss, HP-38, Clays, WST, Tight Group, etc., etc. Production must be catching up with demand. I have hot seen so many 5 and 8lb containers in a number of years.

Take a close look at that jug of Clays. You might notice its no longer made in Australia but is now made in Canada. I think Hodgdon is in full production up there.

I noticed that too on the 8 lb jug I just picked up from Cabelas. Looks like Hogdon's is finally back in business with pistol powders.

I heard today Hodgdon had a plant in Canada making the same powder as Clay's but since it was coming in country from different country. They had to jump through hoops to get it imported. I heard it was ready to ship year ago. Sounded like a bunch of government red tape to me. Seeing the last seven years it sounded right in line with everything else.

As has been said before, for smokeless powder, Hodgdon is ONLY a distributor.

There are ONLY 3 plants left in north America that manufacture smokeless propellent: The old IMR (now General Dynamics) plant in Valleyfield just south of Montreal; The old Olin Winchester plant (also owned and operated by General Dynamics) in St. Mark, Florida; and the Alliant plant in Radford Asernal, Virginia (owned by ATK). The original plant that was making Clays for Hodgdon was ADI (Australian Defense Industries) in New South Wales, Australia.

It would seem the Australian source has dried up. I'm glad to see that IMR (General Dynamics) can make Clays to Hodgdon specifications in Canada. This should make future supplies of Clays more dependable for us.

Has anyone seen Winchester AA lite (for shotgun featherlite reloads)?? I heard a rumor that they (Winchester, St. Mark, FL) will not be offering the AA lite any longer -- although Winchester is still making featherlite loads. I haven't seen a pound of Winchester AA lite in probably 1 1/2 years. I may be making the switch to Clays when I run out.

Conejo

I would just about give my left...uh...earlobe for a couple 8# jugs of Clays. It's been too long a drought here for just about any pistol powders. Stuff trickles so sloooooow to here and is snatched up as quick as it hits the shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the switch from 700x to Clays in my .38spl loads (125g bullet). Interested in what loads others have developed as a starting point. If you have a pet load, I'd appreciate a PM with guidance. Also, anyone using Clays in .45colt (200g bullet)?

As has been said before, for smokeless powder, Hodgdon is ONLY a distributor.

There are ONLY 3 plants left in north America that manufacture smokeless propellent: The old IMR (now General Dynamics) plant in Valleyfield just south of Montreal; The old Olin Winchester plant (also owned and operated by General Dynamics) in St. Mark, Florida; and the Alliant plant in Radford Asernal, Virginia (owned by ATK). The original plant that was making Clays for Hodgdon was ADI (Australian Defense Industries) in New South Wales, Australia.

It would seem the Australian source has dried up. I'm glad to see that IMR (General Dynamics) can make Clays to Hodgdon specifications in Canada. This should make future supplies of Clays more dependable for us.

Has anyone seen Winchester AA lite (for shotgun featherlite reloads)?? I heard a rumor that they (Winchester, St. Mark, FL) will not be offering the AA lite any longer -- although Winchester is still making featherlite loads. I haven't seen a pound of Winchester AA lite in probably 1 1/2 years. I may be making the switch to Clays when I run out.

Conejo

One of our members who attended a Shot Show reported Hodgdon was discontinuing distribution of AALite for reloaders. Fortunately there are other powders like 700-X, Clays and Xtra Lite that come close to its performance.

Looks like Clays is still available at Cabela's. Item # is IK-210742 (8lb) and phone # is 800-237-4444. Price is $206.94 shipped. Kind of pricey but...........

It's a little pricey, but it's available.

I've been looking at my semi-local stores for months and no one's had it.

Now to find some Trail Boss and I'll be good to go for the next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Ripsaw, I use clays with the 45lc. I allso use it in the 12ga. Been using it for the lasst 9 yrs, it works well. The 45 I use about Xgr and with the 12 it goes about XX.X.

How many times does it take to remind folks not to post actual loads on The Wire?

Both the Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook and the 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook have load data for the 45Colt with Clays.

Considering the switch from 700x to Clays in my .38spl loads (125g bullet). Interested in what loads others have developed as a starting point. If you have a pet load, I'd appreciate a PM with guidance. Also, anyone using Clays in .45colt (200g bullet)?

I use Clays in my .38sp with a 125 TC cast bullet. You can look in your favorite reloading manual or on the Hodgdon website for the min and max range roads for this combination. I started in the middle of the range and now load just a little below the middle of the range. Remember that Clays can be a little temperature sensitive so if you are going to be shooting any reduced power Clay loads in the winter you don't want to load them too light or you will end up with a squib round occasionally. The very middle of the min-max range is a good all purpose load and performs well in cold weather too.

Kajun

Archived