SASS Wire Forum

Which Came First....

Subdeacon Joe

They evolved simultaneously from the jawbones of ancient reptiles...

malleus, incus, stapes (hammer, anvil, stirrup)

...ossicles in the mammalian middle ear.

Your question, as asked, is unanswerable, as it presupposes both the anvil and the hammer are made of steel.

The original hammer was a rock, and the original hammer was most probably a bone. And you don't need either to make the other.

If you cast the anvil you don't need a hammer.

Eggs can't beat themselves, the chicken was first

all this talk is making me hungry for anviled eggs

Or is that hammered:)

The egg came first!! The chicken is a mutated dinosaur!!! :rolleyes:B):lol:

Just imagine the look on the face of the mamma pterodactyl when the first chick popped out of one of her eggs!!! :o:wacko::lol:

Okay, back on subject. The evolution of the anvil and the hammer started with a BIG BANG. Do you think there was a cowboy involved, because it sure reminds me of shooting. Funny how things work.

I'm sure the hammer came first. Copper, most likely, as that was easily worked. And as the metal hammer, being able to deliver more force, broke the stone anvils, metal anvils had to be developed.

SJ, did you fall down and bump your head again? :huh:

Too much time sitting and thread gauging 1200 tapped holes.

Or, maybe just reading too many of Alpo's posts.

They evolved simultaneously from the jawbones of ancient reptiles...

malleus, incus, stapes (hammer, anvil, stirrup)

...ossicles in the mammalian middle ear.

:lol:

The hammer and the skull. The anvil idea came much later.

I'm willing to bet that hammer and thumb came before all of them. :D

Yep, I can see it now.

My Dad and Uncle Ug (only 1 'g', he was the laid back, low key sort and thought double g's was too flashy) was sitting in the cave right after all the dinosaurs died eatin' pecans.

Ug's hands got sore from crackin' all them pecans by squeezing them together, so he laid a pecan on his thigh and smacked it with his Pet Rock. Since Ug was a mite on the puny side (with all the dinosaurs dead, they had to start hunting smaller game like mammoth and bison and such so they had to hunt a lot more often and Ug never did believe in working any harder than he had to), the nut rolled off his leg before he could hit it with his Pet Rock. After the cussing and wailing subsided (Ug was a bit of a wimp, too), he tried again- with similar results (nobody ever claimed Uncle Ug was the sharpest spoon in the drawer). The results were only similar bacause Ug put the pecan in the exact same spot as before, so he cussed a little hard and wailed a little longer than the first time. Eventually my Dad caught his breath from laughing for so long, looked over and said,

"Hold the pecan still, stupid."

Ol' Ug thought that was a dandy idea, so he gave it a whirl- and immediately missed the pecan and smacked his thumb.

Once that round of cussing, wailing and laughing subsided, my Dad grabbed both the pecan and Ug's Pet Rock from him, laid the pecan on the rock between them and broke the shell with Ug's Pet Rock.

Thus the anvil was invented. :P:D

One of these days, I'll tell you about how Daddy and Uncle Ug invented the wheel.

If you cast the anvil you don't need a hammer.

+1000000000

Ya beat me to it!

As an explanation of the post above, you've got to understand that Daddy and Uncle Ug is sort of a running joke in my family.

It all started with me telling my eldest niece that Grandpaw used to ride dinosaurs to school when he was little but the Ice Age came and killed all of them off so he forgot how to drive until he invented the wheel with Uncle Ug.

Johnny, you got to quit tellin' the family secrets, there, son.

Oh, come on!

That wasn't nearly as bad as the time we told her about the Easter Turtle (because, what does a rabbit know about eggs anyhow?) or the time Grandpaw told her about Santa's real lead reindeer, Leroy the Bare Butt Reindeer!

She went to preschool and told all of her friends.

Who went home and told their parents.

Who told their teacher.

Who told my sister.

Who had no sense of humor at all about either situation when she talked to us. :D

Archived