SASS Wire Forum

rattlesnake under cabin report

Trigger Mike

i set out a snake trap that netted nothing, sealed off all escapes but one, put a board across with only the top open in hopes it would be uncomfortable for him to navigate, threw in a gallon of vinegar under the cabin and waited a couple of weeks and then terminix came out and finished the water barrier and closed off the crawl space so he can not get back in. I don't know if the 5 footer i got in my front yard was one of them or not but I suspect he was. just glad they can't get back in and hope they stay out from under the front porch and from inside the cabin. I hate venomous snakes

FYI snakes can't take gasoline fumes. I have put gasoline in spray bottles to get big snakes out in the open, doesn't take much. Obviously no pilot lights or other sources of possible ignition. Be ready, they come out fighting mad. The last one I got from underneath my barn came right at me.

Good to hear. but keep an eye pealed for another month or so...it might've been a female looking for a place to lay and hatch her eggs.

Rattlesnakes are ovoviviparous, the eggs hatch inside the mother and she gives birth to live snakes.

Rattlesnakes are ovoviviparous, the eggs hatch inside the mother and she gives birth to live snakes.

Thanks...that's something new for my learning today :) More reason to keep eyes peeled. tho :(

I did a forestry internship around Jessup, Ga in 1987. I was surprised at the number and size of eastern diamonback, cane brake and pigmy rattlesnakes. We often went out on Saturday to determine our plan of action for the following week on assigned sites. We had to wear snake chaps and carry handguns (where I first fell in love with the Ruger .32 Mag Single-Six).

Archived