SASS Wire Forum

Schofield 357 mag. Worth it?

Moe T Vator

Howdy Cowpokes,

I'm strongly considering picking up some Schofields but want to hear first from the voices of experience.

1. Why are they so much more expensive? Are they better guns or just cost more to manufacture?

2. Is it possible to get them "slicked up" or buy them race ready.

3. Has anyone used them and had problems /disliked them for any reason?

I look forward to your feed back.

S/F

Moe T Vator

I have never shot any but have held them.I have small hands and could not reach the hammers very good.A cowboy that I have shot with shoot them in 45 and shoot GF.He really like them.

We used to do pistol reloads on the clock. The range master would tell us in advance that a pistol reload was coming. Guys who owned them would show up with their Schofields. They are really, really good for pistol reloads on the clock. I haven't seen many people use them regularly. I have wondered why.

I have one in 45lc, and like it, once I got used to it.

TK Custom

http://www.moonclips.com/default.asp

machined the cylinder so I can use moon clips to shoot 45 ACP ammo, while still being able to shoot 45 lc, or Schofield ammo, without the moon clips.

The 45 ACP in moon clips will fit into adjacent holster belt loops, which makes it fun for non CAS speed reloading playtime.

I believe TK can also make the same mod for 38 special Schofield revolvers to shoot 9mm ammo with moon clips.

Had a belt slide made up so I can hold 5 45 ACP moon clips. Fun to time: draw shoot 5 rounds, eject moon clip, reload, shoot 5.

B Slim

I gotta ask , in the O.P. title , does someone offer a Schofield in 357 Mag. I've not seen that offered on the different websites , but that doesn't mean much. I don't check on them very often. Was only aware of 45 Colt , 38 Special , 44-40 , and 44 Russian. At one time there was listed 44 Special , but never actually saw on for sale on the websites.

Curious , Rex :D

I just picked up some UBERTI no2s in 38 spc and 38 s&w I thought it was better than the other options. I know they were some s&w 2000 for sale here a few months back but I just couldn't pay what the guy was asking myself for a shooter as I'm not a collector per say. I collect shooters but not for their names that's why my ssa are USFA and my no2s are UBERTI.

Think about where you want to be in SASS both now and in 5 to 10 years. Modern Schofields are not black powder friendly and I don't recall ever seeing a top shooter using Schofields if they are looking to be among the top overall shooters.

1. Yes, they are very nice guns. They cost a bundle more to manufacture than a SA

2. Yes. they can be made to run very well. Alas, they cannot be bought "race ready" and the number of Smiths, Tuners out there that can actually do a good job with a Schofield action are very limited.

3. I had a very nice pair. They ran very well. They don't fit my hands AT ALL and I couldn't shoot them well. Plus, the new manufacture Schofields don't

play well with BP or Subs, so I sold them.

Unsolicited, we do have a shooter here in the East who shoots Schofields very well indeed. Dutch Coroner is very good with schofields. The "TK Custom" modification to accept Moon Clips has ben mentioned. That modification allows the use of single load cartridges as well. I've shoot several

Schofield that had the Moonie Mod and I liked it quite well.

YMMV

I fully agree with "OLG" ....... Never lay out that kind of case for guns if you haven't had the opportunity to shoot some first.

Coffinmaker

Well I got mine last I had my Bisleys Rugers, I had my USFA SAAs, I had my ROAs. I had them set out one day and I knew I was picking up another set of Ruger Bisleys in 38 so what other gun did I want it was the Scholdfield so I bought a brace in 38 soc/s&w. I shoot double duelist so they fit my oversize paw. My problem been finding a smith that is known to work on them. I guess any cowboy smith can polish them so they don't eat themselves up but I can do that myself. I've worked on a mod 36 and did a nice action job and a few tweaks out of my kinks book. But I would like to send them to a smith. Happy trails has since retired and I've got a question to him to find out who he recommends now, if I don't hear back I'll see if he'll tell me what needs done to make them race ready. I still need to buy leather for them any way plus their not legal in cc because of caliber.

I just picked up some UBERTI no2s in 38 spc and 38 s&w I thought it was better than the other options. I know they were some s&w 2000 for sale here a few months back but I just couldn't pay what the guy was asking myself for a shooter as I'm not a collector per say. I collect shooters but not for their names that's why my ssa are USFA and my no2s are UBERTI.

I didn't know, and haven't been able to find, any Uberti "NO2s" in .38 S&W, can you help me out?

Howdy

First off, the Top Break revolvers are not offered chambered for 357 Mag. 45 Colt, 44-40, 44 Russian, and 38 Special, take your pick. The Top Break design of the Schofield and Russian is not strong enough for 357 Mag.

Secondly, the Russian and Schofield designs are built on the Number 3 sized frame, not Number 2. Number 3 was the largest Top Break frame that S&W made, large enough for a six shot 44 or 45 caliber cylinder. No. 2 was smaller, limited to five shot 38 caliber cylinders.

In this photo, top to bottom, Schofield 45 Caliber, No. 3 Frame,

Old Army Tip Up, six shot 32 Rim Fire, No. 2 sized frame.

38 Single Action, 2nd Model, Top Break, five shot 38 S&W, No. 2 sized frame.

32 Rimfire Tip Up, 5 shot 32 Rim Fire, No. 1 1/2 sized frame.

22 Rimfire Tip Up, 7 shot 22 short Rimfire, No. 1 sized frame.

Top%20Break%20Frame%20SIze%20Comparison_

There is no manufacturer currently making any replicas of the No. 2 sized S&W revolvers.

Yes, replicas of the Schofield and Russian revolvers cost more to make, that is why they cost more.

The internal mechanisms are very different than a Colt, and there are not many gunsmiths who work on them.

And yes, there is a longer reach to the hammer spur of a S&W Schofield, Russian, or New Model Number three than with a Colt. Trust me on this.

I don't have a Schofield but I do have a Uberti New Model No. 3. Uberti's NM#3 differs from the Uberti Schofield in the way the the latch operates the break action and it also has a slightly different grip. I haven't owned it long so I can't tell you how it shoots in a match. Mine is a little clunky compared to my other revolvers that are tuned. Just to give you an idea of hammer location, here is (from top to bottom), a "58" Remington NMA; an 1860 Colt conversion; a Ruger New Vaquero; and the New Model #3.

DSCF0992_zps76018f65.jpg

Howdy Again

Actually, the latch on the Schofield model is the oddball, it is different than the standard latch on all the other Top Break S&W Number Three revolvers. The latch on the Schofield was designed by Major George Schofield as an improvement over the standard latch on all other S&W Top Breaks. The idea was that one could open the frame mounted latch with one hand while riding to empty the pistol. I don't know how one was supposed to reload, while holding the reins with one hand, but apparently Schofield could do it.It takes two hands to open the regular latch built into all the other Smiths.

This New Model Number Three was made in 1882. It was refinished at the factory in 1965, that is why it looks so good.

new%20model%20number%20three%2002_zpsczb

Here is a comparison of the shape of three of the five types of Smith and Wesson revolvers built on the Number Three sized frame. Top to bottom, New Model Number Three, Schofield, and Russian Model. The grip shape of the New Model Number Three is the most refined of them all, and the easiest to shoot. The oversized hump on the frame of the Russian Model is very awkward for cocking the hammer. And the reach to the hammer spur on all of them is further than on a Colt Single Action Army.

threenumberthrees_zpse6a96b66.jpg

I didn't know, and haven't been able to find, any Uberti "NO2s" in .38 S&W, can you help me out?

check gun broker that's where I found my second gun the first was here. I went to the local gun shop he had won in 45 but no 38s he went online to see if any suppliers had them they went back order. I found several thanks to a link here from a pard. I was misspelling Schofield I added a d. After learning the correct spelling I found several 38s and bid on one it wasn't cheap, I fell between the deal I got here and what I paid for the other one I didn't do too bad for two new guns as neither had been shoot.

Thanks for posting the pictures , Driftwood. I never tire of looking at those New Model #3s. Too bad(my opinion) Uberti doesn't build it instead of the clunky Russian model. Yes , I know Taylors has one on their website , but not in 44 Special or Russian cal.

I could look at the bright side , saves me from plotting how to finance one. :lol:

Rex :D

check gun broker that's where I found my second gun the first was here. I went to the local gun shop he had won in 45 but no 38s he went online to see if any suppliers had them they went back order. I found several thanks to a link here from a pard. I was misspelling Schofield I added a d. After learning the correct spelling I found several 38s and bid on one it wasn't cheap, I fell between the deal I got here and what I paid for the other one I didn't do too bad for two new guns as neither had been shoot.

You missed my point, .38 S&W and .38 Special are two different cartridges, and they aren't interchangable. To my knowledge, none of the S&W clones made by Uberti or Pietta, have been made chambered for .38 S&W, if you know of one, I'd love to buy it.

Archived