SASS Wire Forum

Remington 700 safety device issue

My 700 BDL's saftey must be in the "fire" position to open the bolt. Does anyone know if this is being covered in their voluntary repair program?

I heard a few years ago, can't recall how many, that Remington was providing a free upgrade to address this issue.

I have two 700's; a 1973 BDL and a 1997 ADL. I think the 1973 is as you describe. Seems the 1997 you can open the bolt with the safety engaged. Sadly, I have them both packed up pending move.

Get a Timney-Better trigger than Remmy can make.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/timney-remington-700-replacement-trigger.aspx

In stock and ON SALE-

http://www.primaryarms.com/Timney_510_Remington_700_Trigger_w_Safety_p/510.htm

Primary Arms is a GREAT outfit to deal with :excl:

OLG

Hey, must be a long-time Rem thing 'cause I just checked my Rem 721, made in the late '40s & it's the same thing. Won't open with the safety on.

DC

I have contacted Remmy,, well tried to anyway!! have to do it via email.. they sent me a form and a gunsmith to send it to, however without saying it's covered, not sending it off just to be stuck with a bill for "repairs".

I actually like the trigger but I've got a feeling a new trigger my find it's way to the Culpepper Ranch...

Hey, must be a long-time Rem thing 'cause I just checked my Rem 721, made in the late '40s & it's the same thing. Won't open with the safety on.DC

Many bolt action rifles are designed such that the bolt can only be opened if the safety is disengaged. The trigger replacement does not change this. It corrects a design flaw that may cause an unintended discharge. If Remington gave you a smith to have the work done by they are picking up the tab.

There is a projection on the safety lever that engages the bolt handle to lock it in place. You can file it off in seconds if you remove the action from the stock.

I like it for hunting as it keeps brush from snagging the bolt handle and pulling it open.

Remington has omitted it on newer model 700s but I don't know when they started doing this.

Duffield

I sent in 2 of my 600's a year or so ago to get them fixed.They will send you a shipping label so you don't have to pay any shipping..

A friend of mine had a 700 that went off once by just flippin the safety off.Kinda scarry.We didn't know of the recall at the time.He has since given it to his son.I don't know if he ever called him to get fixed...

Largo

I sent in 2 of my 600's a year or so ago to get them fixed.They will send you a shipping label so you don't have to pay any shipping..

A friend of mine had a 700 that went off once by just flippin the safety off.Kinda scarry.We didn't know of the recall at the time.He has since given it to his son.I don't know if he ever called him to get fixed...

Largo

I had something like that - I have a 700 BDL VS .308 I bought used, in the late 80's. One time I pointed at a deer, pulled the trigger and got a "click" - I raised the barrel and reached for the bolt handle (with my strong hand, so nothing near the trigger) and as soon as I touched the bolt handle it fired. Seemed a little off to me.

WARNING-- there is some mis-information about the recall posted on some forums. DO NOT make a decision about your Remington trigger based upon what someone posted on a forum. Go to the Remington website and get the facts. Just Google "Remington trigger recall". It is explained and if you have doubt, you can enter your serial # for an instant reply.

Blackfoot

WARNING-- there is some mis-information about the recall posted on some forums. DO NOT make a decision about your Remington trigger based upon what someone posted on a forum. Go to the Remington website and get the facts. Just Google "Remington trigger recall". It is explained and if you have doubt, you can enter your serial # for an instant reply.

Blackfoot

Good information - odd as mine acted, it is too old to have been in the recall. Once I searched, I saw that: "Only Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with X-Mark Pro triggers manufactured from May 1, 2006, to April 9, 2014, have been recalled."

http://settlement.repair.remington.com/faqs

Archived