SASS Wire Forum

Where To Buy A Good Rig?

Aztex

Hi,

I am interested in a good belt/holster rig. I have a couple items from El Paso Saddleworks ( I live down the street from them!) and want to get their products but is a 4-6 week lead time. I'm moving in ~4-6 weeks so would rather just buy elsewhere.

I see some stores actually stock their products but don't have the set up I want, but maybe another I have not found?

Any go-to places to buy good rigs like EPS?

Any equal alternatives?

Thanks,

Aztex

With your alias, any chance you will be near Tombstone, Arizona the end of the week of October 19th? Bob Mernickle, one of the best holster makers, will be at the Arizona State Championship (AKA Bordertown) most of that week.

A good leather rig FOR SASS USE will consist of gunbelt, two holsters, a shotgun belt, and perhaps some accessories. A really good rig will be cut to your exact body measurements. That comes with "must be present to be measured" and "about an 8 week wait time" for the leather to be cut, shaped, sewn, etc.

Very little of "good" leatherwork is carried in someone's stock, because at least the belts will need to be sized to you! There is nothing that money in SASS gets spent on in haste and regretted for a long time then there is with leather. Since you already know you want something good, I'd go to either Mernickle or Kirkpatrick and get some of the best made to fit you. And there's not much wrong with El Paso, either....all of the good shops have built-in lead time to produce their good work.

Now, if you really didn't mean you wanted good leather, just something to start with, find a local store that carries Hunter or something similar and get parts to complete your get-up.

Disclaimer - Yes, I use Mernickle's rigs. No, I don't get a cut (Hah). Just extremely good service now that they know me.

Good luck, GJ

PS. Here's another wild idea .... since you are down the street from El Paso, go down there, get measured, and get on their order list. They can use this new thing called parcel shipping by UPS and FedEx or USPS to send you your order when they get it done.... :lol: That would be the best match to the items you already have....

The best Rig's are custom built for the user, as per their specifications. Such as 15 degree forward cant on strong side left or right, cross draw left or right, double cross draw, & etc.

You only will decide how a custom rig will be made for you after several years shooting the game.

Go to Ebay and search for Reddog Leather. He does great work at very reasonable prices. I just got a belt, 2 holsters and a shotgun belt for about $325 shipped. It took just a little longer than two weeks. He is great to work with and could probably hurry it some if you asked.

Thanks guys,

Yea I may be Tombstone/SoAZ way that week end! I'll have to see if I can arrange that.

I'm a ways from a custom rig and really just want something to get started and even if I don't get fully involved into the sport I LOVE the SAA guns and gotta have a rig just for plinking.

Being in El Paso many of the guns shops seems to get the El paso Saddlery seconds and I just found the belt I wanted for $80.

See ya in Tombstone! It may be just in the low 90°'s by then! :D

Aztex

Thanks guys,

Yea I may be Tombstone/SoAZ way that week end! I'll have to see if I can arrange that.

I'm a ways from a custom rig and really just want something to get started and even if I don't get fully involved into the sport I LOVE the SAA guns and gotta have a rig just for plinking.

Being in El Paso many of the guns shops seems to get the El paso Saddlery seconds and I just found the belt I wanted for $80.

See ya in Tombstone! It may be just in the low 90°'s by then! :D

Aztex

Let us know what size you wear, someone might have something they'd sell cheap or maybe even give you.

.i can't believe no one else likes kirtpatrick leather as much as I do. I used to make my own leather until I bought my first set of long Hunter 09 holsters. The last set I bought with a belt and ammo slide. My next set I'll buy for the S&Ws with a muzzle forward can't and belt and ammo slide also.

Garrison Joe, that was excellent advice! I'm a Lady B Western shooter and my heart belongs to Bulldog Jackson of Jackson's Western Store in Asheville, NC. All my leather is Jackson's... Custom now that I'm "all in" the SASS game! My first rig was customized with conchos etc after a while. I do get a little cut from Jackson's since I now represent them in the road however, I'm happy if you just tell Bulldog Scarlett sent him a kiss when you talk to him! He'll blush!

Welcome to the game! There's nothing better!

Scarlett Darlin'

Stay away from Black Hills, after they charged my credit card it was almost 6 months before I seen my rig. All the way along I got a different story every 2 weeks after the initial 10 weeks waiting.

Stay away from Black Hills...

I reached the same general conclusion, unfortunately. (But not with Bob and Sherry Mernickle!!! :lol:)

I found the Kirkpatrick holster lining selection was not very durable on two different rigs bought for family members, and wore out in less than a year of heavy use.

Good luck, GJ

Hard to beat Tombstone Leather.

Nick Asadi does great work at very reasonable prices.

I've been wearing one of his rigs for years. Cross draw is quick in and out, but never comes out when i move fast.

http://www.tombstoneleatherproducts.com

-tex fiddler

Blackey, your mail box is full.

I'm a fan of the Mernickle Holsters! Excellent quality.

Bob and Sherry are huge supporters of SASS!

I just recieved the new Mernickle HP1 rig and shotgun belt. Fantastic gear.

Regards,

Ringer

Regards,

Ringer

Mernickle is going to be my next rig. I just have to decide what I want. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward the CA4 model right now just because it looks so cool. But I also shoot gunfighter so perhaps there's a rig specifically designed for that. They have some amazing looking rigs.

Hard to beat Tombstone Leather.

Nick Asadi does great work at very reasonable prices.

I've been wearing one of his rigs for years. Cross draw is quick in and out, but never comes out when i move fast.

http://www.tombstoneleatherproducts.com

-tex fiddler

Best leather smith I have ever seen.

You won't be sorry. Call Nick and talk it over with him.

OLG

I have to give a shoutout to Mernickle and their work as well. He made me 2 1895 Nagant Holsters back when I shot them. Beautiful work. He's also done a Concealed Carry holster for a Convertible Ruger Blackhawk for me. Both are HIGH quality and worth the wait. As for price, it was very reasonable.

Also, do a search on the SASS forums here. You'll see he's a first class individual like replacing rigs that have been stolen out of vehicles at NO COST to the owner. Who else really does that?
Love the products, love the leather, love the service. You won't go wrong with Mernickle.

Another vote for Mernickle. The quality of my rig is fabulous.

Lots of great options available, Mernickle is top of the line. Hard to beat Reddog Leather when you combine quality, value and service.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Reddog-Leather?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Doc Noper is also excellent. Don't know if he can meet your time constraints as he is usually fairly busy, but worth the wait.

https://www.facebook.com/Doc-Noper-Gun-Leather-150530958333442/timeline/

Another vote for Reddog Leather here. I shoot Classic Cowboy and am very into the history side of the hobby. I've gotten two rigs from him because he does the hand carved work that make high quality reproductions of historic gunleather without charging an arm and a leg for it! I've ordered a third rig that is based on Teddy Roosevelt's rig.

He will do whatever custom work that is needed and can pretty much do whatever customer work you want.

His standard turn around time is 2-3 weeks which is super fast for custom leather.

I can dig up his email if anyone is interested.

Here are two of my rigs.

Packing Iron Meanea copy by Reddog Leather

FB_IMG_1441198853891_zpsrgvyqbip.jpg
0831151804b_zpshtzx852d.jpg

0831151804c_zps9c9nizm1.jpg

3:10 to Yuma Hand of God Rig from Reddog

HOG_zpsnnovyorw.jpg
0831151802b_zps2apslc2l.jpg
0831151803_zpsmwakj3wl.jpg

Lots of great options available, Mernickle is top of the line. Hard to beat Reddog Leather when you combine quality, value and service.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Reddog-Leather?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Doc Noper is also excellent. Don't know if he can meet your time constraints as he is usually fairly busy, but worth the wait.

https://www.facebook.com/Doc-Noper-Gun-Leather-150530958333442/timeline/

Doc Noper's Leather is the best....holds up well. Have had mine 5 years and still in great shape. I think Winter is probably best time for him. Had mine in a few weeks.. but you'd just have to check.

~Blue

Doc Noper is my go to guy for leather. Have had a couple of rigs by some of the big names mentioned and wore them out in short order. Doc's stuff has held up to the abuse that I put it through and you are getting designs from a active shooter that understands and shoots our game.

I am starting the process of getting a new rig myself. I am leaning heavily toward Mernickle. That being said, anyone have a good recommendation on which rig would be best suited for a gunfighter? I really like the looks of the CA4 and the CA5-5. Thanks for the help

Regards,

Ringer

100% agree

Got a new set at EOT last year, they are great!

Archived