SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Cowboy Junky

If pistols are last and it's a 10 shot string can you purposely NOT holster your first revolver place it on a table and pick it up after the second revolver is shot?

YES...it doesn't matter if the pistols are used last or not...as long as it is a 10-shot shooting string.

Failure to holster is a MSV.

REF: RO1 p.24

6. Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) with hammer down on a spent case or empty chamber at the conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise; e.g., “move to next position and set gun on table or prop.” A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged. (Gunfighters may choose to shoot five rounds, safely stage their loaded revolvers, hammer down on a spent cartridge, shoot another firearm, retrieve the revolvers, and finish the “shooting string” before re-holstering.)

REF: RO1 p.6

REF also: "Shooting string" Glossary of Terms RO1 p.31

Thanks it seemed a little shady to try to gain a little time by not re-holstering the first gun......but if that's the rules I'll go by them. Thanks

Not shady, just a way to keep concentration on the shooting gun, and removing a chance to drop one. Not much advantage when there is another gun to shoot, but I know a lot of duelists who hang on to the fired gun and holster both at the same time.

CR

Not shady, just a way to keep concentration on the shooting gun, and removing a chance to drop one. Not much advantage when there is another gun to shoot, but I know a lot of duelists who hang on to the fired gun and holster both at the same time.

CR

Yea, I'm trying to teach myself not to re holster first pistol shooting double duelist until the string is done unless there is a rifle or shotgun following in the same position that I need to be picking up with one hand while holstering the last pistol with the other hand. Shooting squaw grip for my first few years has me all messed up! :blink:

Similarly, a Duelist can shoot the first pistol, then hold the empty while drawing and then shooting the second. Then holster both.

Just be careful to watch the 170 with the first pistol when done.

It is safest and gives more stability to sort of rest your wrist against your belt (On the first pistol) while shooting the second. That gives stability and make sure you are pointing the empty gun down range.

Archived