SASS Wire Forum

which 380 of these would you get?

Trigger Mike

If you consider yourself a smart, intelligent, good looking guy you would carry what I carry ;)

A Glock 42, 43, 26, 36, 30, Ruger LCP, Colt Mustang, Pony, Government 380, Combat Commander, Sig P238, Springfield XDS 45(not the 9mm), Kimber Ultra CDP II, Kahr PM9, S&W 638 or any combination of two or more of the choices.

Hate the trigger pull on the Bodyguard

PS: Any pistol you carry with the safety on, are you going to remember to take it off if needed.

Why are you limiting yourself to just those few choices? :P

There are more Glock's, S&W semi's & revolvers and Rugers you could add to your list. :D

Didn't even mention the .40 caliber line of guns. :lol:

I know, yer just good and need the challenge...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you limiting yourself to just those few choices? :P

There are more Glock's, S&W semi's & revolvers and Rugers you could add to your list. :D

Didn't even mention the .40 caliber line of guns. :lol:

I know, yer just good and need the challenge...

Beware the man with only 78 guns, he probably knows how to use them.

I carry the LCP. My decision came down to a few factors:

1. Size- I've got other carry guns that always seem to be in the safe. I can't comfortably carry an HK P7 while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I pocket carry the LCP in a Desantis Nemesis or appendix carry it in a Desantis Summer Heat.
  2. Reliable- I won't carry a gun that malfunctions. I did a ton of research prior to deciding on the LCP. This research eliminated the Kahr and Bodyguard from my consideration due to reliability issues. The LCP has been out for a lonnggg time (remember that it is pretty much a copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT; all of the bugs have been worked out.
  3. Manual of Arms- I don't use safeties, so I refuse to have one on a carry gun. Unless you practice a lot with deactivating the safety, don't expect to remeber to do it under stress. The long heavy trigger is the safety on the LCP. You aren't going to accidentally pull it, but you won't notice the trigger pull if you ever need to use it.

My final decision came down to the LCP and the Taurus (believe it or not, these are supposedly extremely reliable). I trusted Ruger more than Taurus, and found a stainless one for a good price.

Howdy,

NOW off on another tangent......

Ruger LCR in 9mm a pretty comfortable shooting gun.

Revolver reliable and with moon clips empty brass isn't being thrown all over.

Reload five in about two seconds, and five more and so on.

Not quite as flat as the auto but not throwing brass either.

For your consideration....

Best

CR

At close range using a single action .380, you might fair better and faster with an ice pick.

Single Action,,,,trigger does one thing,,, release the hammer after hammer is cocked.

No Single Action revolvers in .380 that I know of... So,,,that leaves us the semis..

Single Action semi-auto would be something on or similar to the 1911 platform,, or the Sig 238 or Colt Mustang if we are talking .380 caliber,,,, and similar.

Ya can pump those boolites into perp as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I get your point about the effectiveness of a .380 vs ice pick. yer gonna get poked if he is close at all. but heck ya might get luck and put a bullet in the head, worst case is, he will get ya, and will leave a blood trail for the law to follow up on.

I was blocked from entering a large local business loading dock area, some very many years ago. We were told to wait at the gate until a problem was cleared up and then we would be allowed to enter. Based on what little we could see from our vantage point and what little the gate guard could tell us, there was a gut shot old man on the loading dock. We were able to see him moving and he was removed alive in an ambulance. He turned out to be a retired former employee of the company and walked through the gate to the loading dock. Without a big show (like our modern fokes do before the ba-boom) he stuck the 12ga muzzle to his gut and pulled the trigger. Not a great plan, it seems that sometimes no caliber or gauge works 100%, the poor old guy died late the next morning.

I remember one of the old writers used to tell one of lifes dirty little gunfighting secrets, you train till your hands bleed, you carry the finest fighting weapon and when you get into your first gunfight the perp turns and runs BUT in so doing he blindly fires one round over his shoulder from his dirty little .22mag High Standard derringer and of all places in the world for it to land, it lands in your eye!!! Its your choice, most here will have far more regular hands on shooting/practice than does most of America and the scary truth is that the armchair commandos who are most adamant about YOUR choice probably have no more valid expertise than you.

I'm sure any of the 3 mentioned are good. All boils down to personal preference. I picked up a Glock 42 for my wife a while back. I like the small size factor. I basically wear cargo shorts during the summer months. It drops down in the pocket & don't even notice it being in my pocket. My choice of preference is my Glock 19.

I carry the LCP. My decision came down to a few factors:

1. Size- I've got other carry guns that always seem to be in the safe. I can't comfortably carry an HK P7 while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I pocket carry the LCP in a Desantis Nemesis or appendix carry it in a Desantis Summer Heat.
  2. Reliable- I won't carry a gun that malfunctions. I did a ton of research prior to deciding on the LCP. This research eliminated the Kahr and Bodyguard from my consideration due to reliability issues. The LCP has been out for a lonnggg time (remember that it is pretty much a copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT; all of the bugs have been worked out.
  3. Manual of Arms- I don't use safeties, so I refuse to have one on a carry gun. Unless you practice a lot with deactivating the safety, don't expect to remeber to do it under stress. The long heavy trigger is the safety on the LCP. You aren't going to accidentally pull it, but you won't notice the trigger pull if you ever need to use it.

My final decision came down to the LCP and the Taurus (believe it or not, these are supposedly extremely reliable). I trusted Ruger more than Taurus, and found a stainless one for a good price.

Buckshot

What model Taurus 380? My daughter bought a PT738 TCP & it was sent back to Taurus twice to fix feeding issues. After two factory repairs she traded it for a Bond 38SP. In the mean time my wife bought one. She gave it to me since it was a jam-o-matic. Being a hobby gunsmith I was determined to diagnose the source(s) of the primary problem of not going into battery about half the time. First I made sure to lock my strong hand elbow to eliminate shooting technique. I also tried several types of bullet shapes & determine neither technique or bullet shapes affected the problem. Then I polished the chamber & feed ram with no improvement. Then I removed the recoil spring & guide rod; so, I could observe feeding slowly. I determined that the steep ramp & chamber entrance shape was the source of the problem. The 380 case mouth would catch the on the transition from ramp to chamber. This would remove enough energy from the slid return cycle that there wasn't enough to reliable go into battery. Pull trigger and no bang. I chamfered the ramp to chamber transition. Since these mods it has functioned flawlessly with several mfg's of self defense as well as ball ammo. I carry it in a pocket or ankle holster. When it's cool enough to wear a jacket I'll carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII in an outside the waste band holster. I can't wear an inside the waste band holster wo/suspenders since I have no touche.

I prefer the Sig over the Colt, but just barely. It's one of those intangible things. If I had eaten Cheerios for breakfast that day instead of Rice Krispies, I might have gone for the Colt! :)

Why are you limiting yourself to just those few choices? :PThose are just my primary choices.........there are several bad choices I didn't mention <_<

There are more Glock's, S&W semi's & revolvers and Rugers you could add to your list. :DMy daughter has my G 19, I sometimes carry a 21 or a 17. S&W, Springfield and Rugers are good copies of Glocks. Ruger LCR's have way to much recoil due to poor grip/post design. I wouldn't recommend Taurus and Charter Arms to friends.

Didn't even mention the .40 caliber line of guns. :lol: Yep...... ;)

I know, yer just good and need the challenge...I'm just a gun whore that works part time at a gun shop and has the means to buy what I want at super prices

Buckshot

What model Taurus 380? My daughter bought a PT738 TCP & it was sent back to Taurus twice to fix feeding issues. After two factory repairs she traded it for a Bond 38SP. In the mean time my wife bought one. She gave it to me since it was a jam-o-matic. Being a hobby gunsmith I was determined to diagnose the source(s) of the primary problem of not going into battery about half the time. First I made sure to lock my strong hand elbow to eliminate shooting technique. I also tried several types of bullet shapes & determine neither technique or bullet shapes affected the problem. Then I polished the chamber & feed ram with no improvement. Then I removed the recoil spring & guide rod; so, I could observe feeding slowly. I determined that the steep ramp & chamber entrance shape was the source of the problem. The 380 case mouth would catch the on the transition from ramp to chamber. This would remove enough energy from the slid return cycle that there wasn't enough to reliable go into battery. Pull trigger and no bang. I chamfered the ramp to chamber transition. Since these mods it has functioned flawlessly with several mfg's of self defense as well as ball ammo. I carry it in a pocket or ankle holster. When it's cool enough to wear a jacket I'll carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII in an outside the waste band holster. I can't wear an inside the waste band holster wo/suspenders since I have no touche.

TCP- From what I read, they had some teething problems early on but have since corrected them.

This is why I'm not a "latest and greatest" fan and chose the LCP. Kel Tec had already worked all of the bugs out prior to Ruger copying the design.

Let me start by saying that I know I am absolutely wrong. I have carried a Colt Mustang ever since they first came out, but I just have a hard time carrying it in my pocket holster in condition one. That seems safe with a 1911 with the addition of the grip safety, but all I have with the Mustang is the regular safety and the trigger to start things in motion. In a belt holster I would feel better. Or even in the Bulldog cell phone looking holster. But my most comfortable carry with this gun is in a pocket holster in my jeans pocket. Trustworthy LEO's have told me that I am wrong to be afraid. Logically, I know they are right. But .....

Let me start by saying that I know I am absolutely wrong. I have carried a Colt Mustang ever since they first came out, but I just have a hard time carrying it in my pocket holster in condition one. That seems safe with a 1911 with the addition of the grip safety, but all I have with the Mustang is the regular safety and the trigger to start things in motion. In a belt holster I would feel better. Or even in the Bulldog cell phone looking holster. But my most comfortable carry with this gun is in a pocket holster in my jeans pocket. Trustworthy LEO's have told me that I am wrong to be afraid. Logically, I know they are right. But .....

Perhaps you need a double-action type semi (heavier trigger pull? +/- safety button) that has a bit more safety for 'you' for those particular carry situations. Kel-tec,S&W BG, LCP for example. Keep your Colt for the other occassions that you feel comfortable with.

As someone said, sometimes you need all 78 different types of CCW guns. :D Surely, one will fit the bill for your unique carrying and concern style. :)

No one ever said, one gun fits all circumstances.

Good luck

the colt going off is a concern since no grip safety and the safety has disengaged on me. I usually carry with the chamber empty regardless for safety reasons. I know that is not ideal but i have children and they jump on me etc. I like the idea of the Sig 938. but it is too heavy for a pocket and i lost weight so none of my pants fit right any more and fall down with too much weight. a friend complained about the suspenders making me look like an old man .

Howdy,

9 vs 380?? Cant decide? RUGER to the rescue.

They just emailed announcement about a 380 that converts to 9mm......

Now how hard was that.????

As soon as the intro fuss dies down Im gittin one....or two????

Best

CR

Used to carry a Sig 938 9mm. It was tiny, fit my hand well, and shot good, but after I bought it I decided there's no way I'm going to carry it cocked and locked in my preferred "appendix carry." Didn't like carrying it with the chamber empty, and then realized I didn't like safety's either!

So I traded it for the Ruger LC9. It also was tiny, fit my hand well and shot good.

Then I impulse bought a Ruger LCP because it was on sale. Now it's my "go-to" carry gun. It's even tinier, easier to carry (however, and whenever you want), and it shoots good when I use the magazine with the little pinky extension on it. And no, I don't feel "under gunned" with a .380.

Archived