SASS Wire Forum

Why do some people keep wanting MORE rules

Coalman

I keep seeing new posts about should we make this or that a new rule. If anything they should lighten up on the rules, to attract more new shooters. Who cares if somebodies costume isn't correct or if they wear a hat. Its supposed to be fun.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have actually been several rule changes/clarifications over the years....

I understand Rye and the hat question,,, most have thought that was an existing rule...

What I would like to see is that every shooter acquaint themselves with the rules more often,, put them on your phone, I pad, whatever and when you have some time read them over..

Also when you hear a call that you don't recognize go to the books and check it out..

no one should get to snotty over knowing the rules either, I've even been wrong, once or twice,,,,or more,,,

I understand Rye and the hat question,,, most have thought that was an existing rule...

What I would like to see is that every shooter acquaint themselves with the rules more often,, put them on your phone, I pad, whatever and when you have some time read them over..

Also when you hear a call that you don't recognize go to the books and check it out..

no one should get to snotty over knowing the rules either, I've even been wrong, once or twice,,,,or more,,,

well said

You wrong???? No…I don't believe it!!!! :P:lol::lol:

You wrong???? No…I don't believe it!!!! :P:lol::lol:

well, dang it, now I was!!!!! :o:o:P:P:D:D

+1 Well said

Maybe they are fans of the "Nanny State"?

Personally I am a fan of minimalism in most things, especially rules and regulations.

Don't get me wrong, I want enough rules in CAS to keep us all safe, but at some point a line must be drawn.

it is nice to be minimalist as far as rules it doesn't work so well, case in point,, all of the firearm rules,,, why was thousands of hours put into creating it? because the line in the sand kept moving!!! The Modifications Committee of times past was created because someone had come up with a way to automate the 73 after the first shot was fired....

as far as all the other rules,,, just watch old drag racers!! or nascar,,, half the fun is getting away with something...

We don't need more rules.

we also don't need more relaxed rules. The costuming is an important part of what makes SASS what it is.

If a shooter wants to compete in sneakers, jerseys, baseball caps and shorts there are lots of other disciplines to try.

I'm also not drinking the Kool-aid on the topic of lack of new shooters. At least not where I shoot.

Rules exsistance for the minority.

Also because of the final resolution of the Tower of Bable. What I thought was plainly written another cowpoke reads it entirely different. Then Yankee lawyers get involved and any hope of a short, simple understanding is gone. :)

Why do some people want to slam existing rules? If anything, they should lighten up and follow the rules that have led to what SASS represents today. :ph34r:

I agree. Dropped round comes to mind

More rules are required to keep a somewhat level playing field, that a small percentage of folks take pride in trying skirt around.

Hummm, I'm pretty sure that I'll get some hammering for this, but here goes any way. First off, we need many of the rules. Without them we would have Chaos and the game would be literally in a state of Confusion.

However.. IMO, and only mine, some of the rules came about because someone was getting their Butt kicked by someone else who was simply better at this game than they were. They were winning only because they were using this or that, or running too fast or some reason that gave them a competitive edge. Some folks called them "Gammers" (those rotten B@$#@rd$) and they had to be stopped...(right??). But also, some of the rules came about because of a few outright Cheaters who really did need to be brought under control. One problem here is that some folks equate these two groups as being one-in-the-same.... They are NOT. Rules need to be scrutinized very well before they are put into place. Judicious (read:having, showing, or done with good judgment or sense.) rule enforcement is the key to success.... that means use your head... you shouldn't need a tape measure to see if an AD hit the ground at 4' 11" or at 5' 1", or a inclinometer to see if a holster is 29 or 31 degrees. We don't need to split hairs... be a good T.O., use the rule book, and good judgement before you make a call. It will benefit EVERYONE in the game. Rules... we can't live without them, but sometimes it's hard to live with them.

Snakebite

It is winter time and folks spend more time on the computer than at the range. What really amazes me are the folks that are new CAS shooters and immediately want to change the rules.

It is winter time and folks spend more time on the computer than at the range. What really amazes me are the folks that are new CAS shooters and immediately want to change the rules.

What bothers me is how many long time members still don't know the existing rules

We don't need more rules.

we also don't need more relaxed rules. The costuming is an important part of what makes SASS what it is.

If a shooter wants to compete in sneakers, jerseys, baseball caps and shorts there are lots of other disciplines to try.

I'm also not drinking the Kool-aid on the topic of lack of new shooters. At least not where I shoot.

When has someone suggested changing the rules to allow sneakers, jerseys, baseball caps, shorts, etc., which are outlawed in the current rules?

I agree Doc....but, it bothers me as much that they don't admit it and look it up when they are unsure. It's ok to have a question about a situation, but take the time to make the right call. You can tell a shooter what he did or didn't do and that you want to be sure of the call....hand off the timer and look in the book....that's my too scents.

KK

Individual Clubs can and often do have relaxed dress codes at their range.

I am sure they have valid reasons for doing so. No rule change is going to change that. I know several clubs that relax their attire when shooting above 100 degrees for example. I suppose if you do not like it you could shoot somewhere else.

I'm all for temporary rule suspension in order to increase safety marginis in the heat. I view that as a completely legitimate (and very smart) reason for an adaptation. My home club does just that, and my family takes advantage of the opportunity to shoot in short sleeves, but we do it knowing that it's short term and when the weather cools, we return back to our cowpoke duds.

Hummm, I'm pretty sure that I'll get some hammering for this, but here goes any way. First off, we need many of the rules. Without them we would have Chaos and the game would be literally in a state of Confusion.

However.. IMO, and only mine, some of the rules came about because someone was getting their Butt kicked by someone else who was simply better at this game than they were. They were winning only because they were using this or that, or running too fast or some reason that gave them a competitive edge. Some folks called them "Gammers" (those rotten B@$#@rd$) and they had to be stopped...(right??). But also, some of the rules came about because of a few outright Cheaters who really did need to be brought under control. One problem here is that some folks equate these two groups as being one-in-the-same.... They are NOT. Rules need to be scrutinized very well before they are put into place. Judicious (read:having, showing, or done with good judgment or sense.) rule enforcement is the key to success.... that means use your head... you shouldn't need a tape measure to see if an AD hit the ground at 4' 11" or at 5' 1", or a inclinometer to see if a holster is 29 or 31 degrees. We don't need to split hairs... be a good T.O., use the rule book, and good judgement before you make a call. It will benefit EVERYONE in the game. Rules... we can't live without them, but sometimes it's hard to live with them.

Snakebite

+1 I would be happy if some of the TO's, RO's, MD's would consult a rule book before answering questions concerning rules instead of manufacturing "rules" or reasons that something should not be done. kR

+1 I would be happy if some of the TO's, RO's, MD's would consult a rule book before answering questions concerning rules instead of manufacturing "rules" or reasons that something should not be done. kR

Seen that happen many times. Or better yet what they think you should do because there opinion is better than the actual rule. !70 rule comes to mind ( You did turn enough but you should try turning a little more) or ( I know you don't need a hat but, people would rather have you wear one )

I still have in my personal possession a genuine, original limited edition SASS rulebook that fits in your shirt pocket. A memento of days not so long ago when SASS was a simpler more easy to understand shooting sport.

SASS Is a perfect example of how adults can ruin a fun activity by overregulating it. Here is a couple of rules that have no real reason;

1. Dropped round. As long as the shooter doesn't break the 170 who cares if he picks it up? If the shooter does break the 170 the T.O. is there to stop the shooter, take control of the gun and the shooter earns a D.Q.

2. Leaving empty brass (case)or shotgun hull in the chamber or carrier. Shooter goes to the unloading table and if a live round pops out of the gun then assess the penalty. If it is a fired round (empty) it doesn't create a safety hazard so who cares?

As for the dress code SASS rules always have been pretty relaxed. A pair of blue jeans (the jeans don't even have to be blue), a long sleeve western shirt (for the cheap go to Goodwill store), western hat and appropriate footwear. Want to wear a short sleeve shirt? Roll 'em up (hey it says that in the rulebook).The footwear doesn't have to pull on cowboy boots. Lace up boots and shoes are fine. Simply dress to fit your budget and character.

One way to learn the rules is read them annually when they come out. Then every month or two pick a category and read the rules from shooting that category as written not the way you think they should be written. Then in a month or two after you are fully aware of the rules for that category choose a different category. Some cats like the age ones are fairly simple but may have a rule or two that is unique to that category only. Others like gunfighter, bwestern and classic cowboy have many unique rules. Also frontiersman is another with unique rules. I started off shooting traditional at the time within six months switched to gunfighter, I left gunfighter because too many miss applied the rules and got away with it because they were known to have shot in that category for a long time. I then switched to frontiersman and shot it for several years but got tired of constantly being busy liading and not being able to help out on posse duties other than the unloading table. At EOT a couple OS classic cowboy ambassadors talked me in to trying cc. I thought I had all the gear but my shotgun was missing I had loaned it out and never got it back. so I bought another one and been enjoying it ever since. I guess when cc becomes boring I'll try something else.

Archived