SASS Wire Forum

73 45 loaded in a 44-40

Train Robber 13659

A 45 Colt loaded in error in your 73 0r 66 can easily be cleared. Your average pocket knife will do the trick.

We will presume you levered the action and the 45 cartridge is now held on the bolt by the extractor.

1st CAREFULLY lift / pry the extractor off the cartridge rim to free it up.

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!! do not pry between the cartridge rim and the bolt face ! I suppose if would be possible to hit the primer

and cause an out of battery discharge

2nd now that it is free push the carrier back down. You may need to use your knife to

reach down in front of the cartridge and " tease" the end of the next cartridge in the magazine back in so the carrier can

go all the way down.

3rd push the loading gate open and tilt the action over on it's side with the butt angled down.

You may need to use your knife again to "tease" the rear of the cartridge over to head on out of the loading gate.

This method can also be used to clear a jam caused by a poor crimp that results in 1 1/2 cartridges being on the carrier at the same time

due to the bullet pushing back into the case. Just pop the bad shell out of the loading gate.

Regards,

Train Robber

Thanks train robber. I had the latter happen to me once on my 66. I ended up taking the entire action and carrier group apart to get to it. I wish I had known about your technique then.

Usually it's more than one, it's the whole tube. I now load my pistols first, even though my loading strip is segregated.

CR

I load both my rifle and pistols with the same 44-40 cartridge so I don't have this problem. Shooting both a 45 and 44-40 can be risky as the cartridges are very similar looking.

I load both my rifle and pistols with the same 44-40 cartridge so I don't have this problem. Shooting both a 45 and 44-40 can be risky as the cartridges are very similar looking.

It's really no big deal until you can't lever your rifle :D

Archived